LDR Question: What would you do in this situation?

If the love was intense, I too would expect him to take a train to meet and stay in Barcelona at an air bnb for some wining dining, flowers, dancing, etc at the 6 month mark of a relationship. Girl this guy ain't it.

• Like 3
On 12/10/2023 at 5:12 PM, ciara_love said:

we did meet through a spiritual teacher and talk for months before we ever dated, so there was a foundation with some depth.

Unfortunately this can lead to idealized faux intimacy. And unfortunately as you experienced, you wanted to surprise him for his birthday but with an entirely assumed Disney scenario in your mind about what he was supposed to surprise you with. 

It doesn't matter if it was poor planning or not. You shown more effort and care by flying to see him, while he was not willing to do the same by driving to pick you up. That he hasn't seen their partner for several months and not be excited at the opportunity to pick you up at the airport and spend some alone time with you on your birthday is just sad.

• Like 3
  • Author

Thank you for all of your replies. Alpacalia, I agree that it is sad. I admit that it was poor communication on both of our parts, but I did let him know my flight arrival time 2 weeks prior to the date, and given that I was traveling on my birthday, it just seemed like not too much to want someone to meet me in Barcelona and celebrate. I appreciate all of your comments. The lessons I learned are 1) Ask the question: Are you going to pick me up? 2) Listen to my gut when it says that I want someone who will take initiative, plan ahead, and celebrate my birthday! 

• Thanks 1
  • Author

Oh, and here is another lesson for myself and anyone else who wants it. Never ever play therapist to a man! I got the ticket to stop and visit him because he was very upset and distressed due to personal family stuff and I was worried about him. He was talking with me for several hours a day on the phone and I was helping him with his problems, showing support. So I gave a lot to him, and yes, I was hoping for some reciprocity. Another thing I have learned is to really really pay attention to all of the red and yellow flags in the beginning. If someone is showing you that they are emotionally unstable in any way in the first 3-6 months of a relationship, they are probably downplaying it. So it will only get worse. He is currently a mess and the relationship is all but over. Ladies, let men lead. That is another lesson learned. I always try to be grateful for these learning experiences, and remember! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ciara_love said:

I got the ticket to stop and visit him because he was very upset and distressed due to personal family stuff and I was worried about him.. He is currently a mess and the relationship is all but over. 

Are you still in a relationship? You mentioned you were visiting him for his birthday, not to help him sort out problems. Why is he a mess right now? 

4 hours ago, ciara_love said:

He is currently a mess and the relationship is all but over

Good. That you traveled all that way and he couldn't muster picking you up at the airport after not having seen each other for months and it being your birthday? He expects you to take a train to his village even though you're exhausted? Personally, I would be very disappointed. Glad he bought the train ticket, but that's the bare minimum.

6 hours ago, ciara_love said:

I admit that it was poor communication on both of our parts, but I did let him know my flight arrival time 2 weeks prior to the date, and given that I was traveling on my birthday, it just seemed like not too much to want someone to meet me in Barcelona and celebrate.

It's not too much to want.  It's definitely too much to plan international travel with several legs without ... making plans.  Especially when you had your flights booked in advance.  

9 hours ago, ciara_love said:

I admit that it was poor communication on both of our parts, but I did let him know my flight arrival time 2 weeks prior to the date, and given that I was traveling on my birthday, it just seemed like not too much to want someone to meet me in Barcelona and celebrate. 

It doesn't matter what it "seemed" like.  If neither of you bothered to clearly SAY what the plans are, then don't be upset when it gets all disorganized and messed up.  You are still talking about assuming.

I said earlier that I couldn't drive for three hours after a long day at work, so if I couldn't get time off work, it would have been too much to ask of me. 

I know that my driving is poor when I'm tired, and my safety and the safety and other road users is more important to me than a the birthday of someone I care about.  It boggles my mind that you'd expect him to drive 3 hours when you already knew he was tired.   I've been in a car which rolled due to a tired driver on a long trip...it's not good! 

I would however have suggested you get a room in Barcelona and I'd be there by 9:30 am the next day.    I think he did the right thing and that if you wanted a particular outcome, you should have planned earlier.  

On 12/18/2023 at 4:09 AM, ciara_love said:

. Another thing I have learned is to really really pay attention to all of the red and yellow flags in the beginning. He is currently a mess and the relationship is all but over.

How did your visit end up? Did you break up?  Are you still communicating? 

On 12/18/2023 at 1:09 AM, ciara_love said:

Another thing I have learned is to really really pay attention to all of the red and yellow flags in the beginning. 

It's interesting that you left this and all the other IMPORTANT issues out in your OP, and made it all about whether he should have driven 3 hours to pick you up because it was supposed to be a special birthday surprise.

Turns out the guy is an emotional basket case,  you had all the various flags waving in front of you, yet you proceeded full speed ahead.  Not to even mention expecting a man who was evidently in some type of mental breakdown to drive 3 hours to pick you up and 3 hours home for a birthday surprise under those conditions.

I think that the original question posed, which seemed to be "who was in the wrong," completely left out every important aspect of the story.

• Like 1

To be fair, many of us were trying to warn you about the overzealous amorous declarations at such an early stage...

I don't think that "letting him lead" would have solved your problems, honestly. In the future, I'd recommend being more wary of what people claim to want, and observing their actions instead.

• Like 1

The best option in this situation is for him to just call her a car and that's it, he misunderstood her and so as not to spoil the holiday, you can call for an airport transfer

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed hyperlink
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author
ciara_love

Thank you all for sharing your insights about this topic. It really helped me get over this relationship. It was full of miscommunication and I was ignoring some yellow/red flags for sure. Live and learn :classic_cool: