Why can't little girls just be little girls anymore?

princessaurora

princessaurora

This is really just a rant.

My 10 yr old daughter had a singing show she was in at school today. She's in 4th grade. She wanted her hair in half pigtails so I fixed it for her. A few of my friends fussed she's too old for that hairstyle. But that's what my daughter wanted and we both thought it looked adorable. She did get told on the bus by some older girls she looked like a baby, but she says she doesn't care because she likes it.

I told them that she chose the style,  but they basically  said I should have told her it's too babyish for her and made her do another hairstyle.  One even said  I'm setting her up to be bullied!

Obviously, I don't want my child to be an outcast, but at the same time, I'm trying to raise her to be a strong independent woman who doesnt let other peoples opinions define her. 

I just don't understand why it's not socially acceptable for a 10 yr old to look and dress her age anymore. 😒

9 minutes ago, princessaurora said:

. She did get told on the bus by some older girls she looked like a baby, but she says she doesn't care because she likes it.

Try to focus on the bullying, not the hairstyles.  If kids are harassing her on the bus, please speak with the appropriate school officials about it. 

• Thanks 1

I was in catholic uniforms that age. I remember I was asked to go home by one of the nuns because I had clear nail polish on. 😏

I know you want to protect her/safeguard her but if she likes wearing her hair that way, is it really so bad?

If she's in 4th grade and 10, maybe she wants to look younger to fit in with her classmates?

• Thanks 1

Oh my goodness, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 10 year old wearing pigtails.  I've even seen teenage girls wearing them and they look cute.  Society seems to want kids to grow up too fast.

• Thanks 1
  • Author
princessaurora
22 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Try to focus on the bullying, not the hairstyles.  If kids are harassing her on the bus, please speak with the appropriate school officials about it. 

They usually don't mess with her. I think being 6th graders, they thought her hair was childish and told her. 

I do appreciate your concern, though. 🙂

• Author
princessaurora
21 minutes ago, Alpacalia said:

I was in catholic uniforms that age. I remember I was asked to go home by one of the nuns because I had clear nail polish on. 😏

I know you want to protect her/safeguard her but if she likes wearing her hair that way, is it really so bad?

If she's in 4th grade and 10, maybe she wants to look younger to fit in with her classmates?

For clear polish? That's crazy. But I went to catholic school too, and yeah, they were always nitpicking with dress code. 

She did repeat a few years ago, so maybe she is just trying to look as young as her classmates. I don't have any issues with it. I was just surprised other people did. But it's my daughter and it's about what she's comfortable with.

Heck, I wore my hair like that till I was in my 30s!😅

• Like 1
  • Author
princessaurora
29 minutes ago, stillafool said:

Oh my goodness, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 10 year old wearing pigtails.  I've even seen teenage girls wearing them and they look cute.  Society seems to want kids to grow up too fast.

That's how I feel too. I was wearing braided pigtails when I was a senior in high school. My guy friends thought it was cute.They called me swiss miss. 

I'm with you, society is pushing kids towards adulthood way too fast these days and its up to the parents to slow it down. 

It sounds more like the other parents are bullying you into thinking you’re a bad parent, OP. Your daughter seems fine and doesn’t care what the other classmates think. 

Be strong for her and I agree it’s good to show her she has a choice and her opinions matter. Yes, consider what others are doing and reflect on repercussions (thats part of being mature) but after all is said and done if you decide to do something and feel strongly about it like wearing your hair a certain way then don’t let anyone stop you.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, princessaurora said:

For clear polish? That's crazy. But I went to catholic school too, and yeah, they were always nitpicking with dress code. 

She did repeat a few years ago, so maybe she is just trying to look as young as her classmates. I don't have any issues with it. I was just surprised other people did. But it's my daughter and it's about what she's comfortable with.

Heck, I wore my hair like that till I was in my 30s!😅

Yes. Those nuns were tough. 🤪

Awe, maybe she just wants to keep that innocence (I know it's crazy but it does wonders) and pigtails are her thing? We should be celebrating their individuality and encouraging them to be themselves. Your daughter choosing to wear half pigtails is a harmless and innocent choice, and I applaud you for letting her make that decision for herself.

PS. I wore pigtails too in my adult years.😉

• Like 1

Sounds like maybe a couple of your friends need to find something constructive to occupy their minds if they're fussing over a child looking like a child. What are their ten year-old daughters doing? Putting their makeup on and choosing which thigh-skimming mini skirt to wear? I don't even have kids but this culture of bringing forward the stages of development so that children are being pushed to take on adult values much earlier really bothers me, there's something sinister about treating children like adults and portraying it as "progressive parenting" rather than what it is, stealing kids innocence. Aside from that, if they want to be bothered by hairstyles they should focus on the current mullet trend, it's so much more than just a bad hairstyle, it's proof that the human race is devolving. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/10/2023 at 6:16 PM, princessaurora said:

jeShe's in 4th grade. She wanted her hair in half pigtails so I fixed it for her

There are plenty of adults, youngish women, fixing their hair in half pigtails. They're all over youtube and IG. Ariana Grande comes to mind....The people shaming her/you for this hairstyle are not up to date with what's going on nowadays as in: nowadays the rule is you do what the heck you want with your hair. If you want a half pigtail at 10yo or 30yo it's your prerogative. 

Congratulation for raising a daughter with independent thinking!! An independent thinker does not change her hairstyle because of outside pressure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Gaeta said:

There are plenty of adults, youngish women, fixing their hair in half pigtails.

I saw a group of young girls on their way to school this morning, I'd guess between about 14 -16 years old, two of them had their hair in pig tails so I agree it's a burgeoning trend. Maybe Princess Aurora's daughter's ahead of the adults when it comes to fashion trends.  

• Like 1