Is it possible to move to a new city without knowing anyone?

I've been thinking of moving to a new city, but I have no family/friend/don't know anyone if I were to move. My concern is who is going to help me or be my emergency contact or if I need medical assistant of any kind? 

As far as making friends...well alot of people say use meetup groups, sure I can meet new people on there but that could be a hit or miss -sometimes friendships don't come out of that, some do. 

For those that have moved to a new city without knowing anyone, how were you able to make friends? 

When I was 22 I moved away from my family and friends to Los Angeles.  It was one of the most exciting times of my life.  I met new friends at my job and started socializing and going out with them.  They introduced me to more people and before I knew it, I had a large group of friends and a lot of things to do.  I smile at people and talk to people a lot which has always brought me new friendships.

Of course it's possible.  With technology your family back home can still be your emergency contact. 

You can make friends with neighbors, at work, volunteering, meet up groups, alumni groups, at church, in the grocery store.  

Just remember that where ever you live you are still you.  Your problems will still be there even if you change your address. 

It's certainly possible.  However, you seem very wary of other people, reacting strongly to random things which friends and coworkers do and thinking the worst.

If you're going to start over somewhere else and build a friendship group, you'd need to stretch towards being open, friendly, helpful and not being quick to judge.  I think a positive mindset towards others could make a huge difference when it comes to building a great life.

• Like 1

I did it many years ago, moved from Melbourne to the Gold Coast, and making friends wasn't easy. Over 25 years I only made handful of friends and most of them were superficial friendships that I made through work. It can be very hard in a new city, maybe because of the anonymity. On the other hand, I recently moved from the Gold Coast to an island where it's a very small community, and the people here are incredibly friendly and welcoming, I've already joined a couple of groups and am having no trouble at all making friends. So I think it has to do with where you move to and why you're there, and whether you feel like you belong and fit in with whatever the predominant local culture is. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Chloeflowers said:

. My concern is who is going to help me or be my emergency contact or if I need medical assistant of any kind? 

You don't seem ready to move. Do you have a destination or reason such as a job offer?

• Author
On 9/26/2023 at 1:13 AM, Wiseman2 said:

You don't seem ready to move. Do you have a destination or reason such as a job offer?

I have a destination in mind but I would have to find a job in that city or just find something remotely.

• Author
On 9/25/2023 at 9:57 AM, d0nnivain said:

Of course it's possible.  With technology your family back home can still be your emergency contact. 

You can make friends with neighbors, at work, volunteering, meet up groups, alumni groups, at church, in the grocery store.  

Just remember that where ever you live you are still you.  Your problems will still be there even if you change your address. 

Yeah volunteering, fitness classes would be good

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Chloeflowers said:

I have a destination in mind but I would have to find a job in that city or just find something remotely.

It's not easy to find a job when you don't live there.  Some employers won't want to hire you because they may not believe you are committed to the move.  If there is anyway you can rent a mailbox in your destination city to have a local address on your resume that may help.  When I was trying a cross country job search I put a family member's address on my resume to help show my commitment to the location.