I was recently offered a role through a phone call after two interviews. It's a good role and I accepted but assumed (probably wrong assumption) that the call would be followed up with a written offer and a contract to sign (that's been my experience anyway previously). It's been three weeks and I still haven't had anything in writing yet the employer is asking me to do pre employment training. I have sent a reminder asking for everything in writing but it hasn't arrived yet. Am I right to wait? It's a long term contract so I want to see the small print before starting the role. 

I’d be very blunt and say you require an employment contract stating xyz agreed terms before the start of training or the taking on the role. You’re not “reminding” them. You require it. 

• Like 1

It depends on where you live & the industry standard.  Your experience is that you get a written contract.  I have been working for 40 years and never once had a contract or give one to somebody. 

Do you have a start date?  You need to call these people back  & get in the same page.  If I offered somebody a job over the phone at a minimum I would have said, can you start Monday {or whenever}?  If they are this flakey about starting & training, do you really want to work there?  

I've always had a written offer after the verbal one.  I don't know your industry, but in mine (tech), this is standard.  It's doubly important if you are going to be a contractor and not a W2 employee. 

• Like 1
  • Author
9 hours ago, d0nnivain said:

It depends on where you live & the industry standard.  Your experience is that you get a written contract.  I have been working for 40 years and never once had a contract or give one to somebody. 

Do you have a start date?  You need to call these people back  & get in the same page.  If I offered somebody a job over the phone at a minimum I would have said, can you start Monday {or whenever}?  If they are this flakey about starting & training, do you really want to work there?  

That's interesting, I am working overseas so it is possible that the custom around this is different to where I grew up. I do have a start date yes, but as it involves moving to a different city that is why I want the details now, rather than once I have signed up for accommodation. I have discussed this with them and they are actioning it (so they say) but I am keeping myself open to other employers in interim. 

I would not move without something in writing.    The fact that they haven't been able to put something together in 3 weeks doesn't bode well for this being legit.  What research have you done on the company?