She was working as a waitress in cocktail bar.

......... well not quite. She was working as a waitress in a very busy and understaffed country pub i was in last night. 

This weekend I had some family over to see me. The star of the show was my 4 year old nephew with his big brown eyes and curly blonde hair who is officially my best mate in the whole world ever and never leaves my side when we are together. Last night, I invited his mum, dad, younger brother and my mum out for a steak dinner in the aforementioned country pub. 

There was a huge wedding party on in the garden, the restaurant was packed and there were only three girls working in the restaurant and another three on the bar. My nephew instantly has the three waitresses eating out of his hand. "High fives" between them everytime these these poor overworked girls hurry passed with another tray of heavy plates, they were all in awe of him..... except for one. She seemed to have her eye on me..... maybe because of my miniature "wing man", but I couldn't help noticing we were catching each others eye while she took another table order across the room and we shared a little joke while she was at our table.... but given the group I was in, and the work load that her and her colleagues had, it was difficult to get an opportunity to actually speak to her. Then as my party were leaving, she gives me this gorgeous great big smile all the way from the kitchen at the back of the pub, to the front door of the restaurant as i'm leaving. 

Now what im wondering is if I should go back there on a quieter night and see if I can talk to her. Sadly my miniature wing man and the rest of the family have just gone home to the other side of the Irish sea, so he cant come with me nor do I really know anyone else half as cool as him that could come in there with me.... but id love to see if I can catch her eye again on a quieter night. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to casually put myself nearer to her? The last thing I want is to become that creepy guy who's hanging around in the bar again, nor do I want to accost her in the car park as she knocks off for the night but I just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on how to introduce myself while, I hope, Im still current in her mind.

1 hour ago, htrj said:

if I should go back there on a quieter night and see if I can talk to her. 

Sure. Just go back, maybe with a friend and see if you can strike up a bit of conversation. As long as you go into it with no real expectations, it will be fine. Keep it mind she's at work and in the service industry so friendly personalities and tips are part of that equation.

🎶Dont you want me baby. Don't you want me oo-oh" 🎶

For sure you don't want to be creeping on her in the bar. Nor do you want to be the serial killer in the carpark.  So go back and own it.  "Hey, I think I caught some vibes between us at the wedding last weekend....wondering if I could take you out". 

It might crash and burn...but it may not.  If you really think she was hot for you, what have you got to lose?   And if you're wrong, you'll probably never see her again

Lastly, what's going on that a 4yo is the only one who you can take out?  Are you struggling to make friends?  

Edited by basil67
  • Like 1
  • Author

That’s exactly what made her stand out to me, Wiseman. The other waitresses were nothing more than professionally friendly with me, but I get the impression that this waitress saw something else. Is she broody? Did she like way my nephew and I were interacting? Only she knows… 

There are friends I can go in there with. I’m just saying they aren’t quite as cool as my nephew. Had I been able to take him back there on a quieter night im sure it would have been child’s play to break the ice with this woman….

I'm sure your nephew is cute and all, but I think you're over estimating the allure of a four year old to people who aren't family.  No matter how cute a kid is, I last about 3 mins before wanting adult conversation. 

If she's into you, then the assistance of a child will not be required.  Go and have a drink there on a night she's working

Edited by basil67

Honestly I don't think it has anything to do with your nephew.

He sounds utterly adorable btw.

Go back with a friend and see if she still looks at you the same way.

If she does, then strike up a conversation with her and see what happens.

On 9/17/2023 at 4:44 AM, htrj said:

Now what im wondering is if I should go back there on a quieter night and see if I can talk to her. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to casually put myself nearer to her? The last thing I want is to become that creepy guy who's hanging around in the bar again, nor do I want to accost her in the car park as she knocks off for the night but I just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on how to introduce myself while, I hope, Im still current in her mind.

Yes, you should go back on a quieter night & strike up a conversation.   You're probably not on her mind because yours is but one of hundreds of faces that blurred through her work but if she does see you that should spark a memory.  

I'd open with some crack about your mini "wing man" having a crush on her but you assuring him that you were more her age.  It conveys interest; it's cheeky but not  creepy & should get at least a chuckle.  If your opening gambit, whatever it may be does not get a warm reception, finish your drink & leave.