This really bothers me

On 8/11/2023 at 3:28 AM, Alpacalia said:

Not sure about legal recourse but the payment to the daughter of the former director does not seem illegal, since it is not coming out of government funds, so there really is no legal recourse. Of course, it may be morally wrong or an unfair situation, but there is nothing you can do to stop it.

It would be illegal if the payment is being claimed for taxes as any kind of a business expense.  

OP, I understand your annoyance but I sure wouldn't try to be a whistleblower on something like this.  Your problems with your job are not related to this payout, whatever its circumstances.   I think it would cause you more problems than satisfaction if you pursued this. 

At the most, since you evidently are authorized to go through all of the financials and know their contents,  you could simply ask the person in charge of the accounting what that payment is for.

Edited by NuevoYorko
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, NuevoYorko said:

It would be illegal if the payment is being claimed for taxes as any kind of a business expense.  

Thanks for pointing that out!

Irrespective, going down the road with pursuing it seems like a fools errand given what she has outlined. Besides, if she does pursue legal action, I am sure the boss will retaliate. Do you really want to pursue an avenue that can create such blowback?

JTSW, that is my opinion and of course I do not wish to speak on your behalf.

I understand that it can be very frustrating working hard without getting what you feel is fair in return. I can only suggest that she start looking for other job opportunities to ensure she can find a better situation for herself. That way, if she is unhappy with her current role and wants to exit she will already have other options going forward.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 1

I think the payment to the daughter is just icing on the cake of frustration. You’ve been underpaid and under appreciated for a long time. That’s the root of the anger, and part of you likely realizes that part of you, for whatever reason, accepted it.

Back when I was a manager and people complained about the wage bands, I would tell them the easiest way to get a raise was either to get promoted or get another job elsewhere that pays better. For a multitude of reasons, often anxiety / fear of change, people stay in a dead end low paying job far longer than they should.

• Like 1
  • Author
16 hours ago, NuevoYorko said:

OP, I understand your annoyance but I sure wouldn't try to be a whistleblower on something like this. 

Yeah I have no intention of saying anything about because it know it would a waste of my time and energy.

• Author
16 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

Besides, if she does pursue legal action, I am sure the boss will retaliate. Do you really want to pursue an avenue that can create such blowback?

It's not worth risking it.

An ex employee actually took the company to tribunal a few years ago and it got her absolutely nowhere.

I'm just going to focus on looking for something else and leaving peacefully.

• Like 2