The Contrast Between Law of Attraction & Science

So I was talking with my brother about Law of Attraction. He's a big proponent of it.

Myself, I feel it's a bit of psuedo-science. Where like attracts like, positive attracts positive. But scientifically speaking, positive attracts negative and vice versa. Opposites attract. Magnetic forces have opposite poles that attract each other - North attracts South and South attracts North. The same applies to electricity, protons and electrons. This law of attraction has been proven in the physical world time and again.

I believe that the Law of Attraction is more of a way of thinking, rather than a scientific fact. The idea is that if you have a positive outlook on life, then positive things will come your way. I think that the basic premise is valid, in that positive thinking can lead to positive outcomes, but I don't believe that it is as black and white as the Law of Attraction makes it out to be. Ultimately, success and failure depend on far more than just our thoughts, and I don't believe that the Law of Attraction applies in the way that some people claim it does.

What are your thoughts?

Isn't it based on a popular book called "The Secret"? It's supposed to be a philosophy of how to get things in life by thinking positively about them and they'll come to you. It's a nonfiction self-help book, but not a science or reference book. If it works for people who want to feel better about something, why not?

• Author
25 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Isn't it based on a popular book called "The Secret"? It's supposed to be a philosophy of how to get things in life by thinking positively about them and they'll come to you. It's a nonfiction self-help book, but not a science or reference book. If it works for people who want to feel better about something, why not?

Oh. I am all for self-help. I don't agree though when it is pitched to people for why they do what they do or the choices that people make. We are more than our thoughts and I think it always important to understand the reasons why people have certain perspectives.

I think a positive outlook brings positive outcomes because it provides resilience. If you have a positive outlook, and you try something and fail, you’re more likely to try it again. You’ll continue to take risks because you believe you’ll end up succeeding. If you have a negative outlook and you try something and fail, you’re unlikely to try again because you believe failure is inevitable. 

Edited by Weezy1973
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Author

Thanks Weezy.

It's the concept of like attracts like that I feel is a bit narrow and might not be helpful in some circumstances. There is no silver bullet when it comes to self-determination and taking control of our wellbeing in life, of course that doesn't mean we can't strive to think positively and manifest what we want for our lives. My brother and I have a good relationship, he was just commenting on some stuff that I do and saying "you are positive so this will happen" can be a bit simplistic - I get it!

Maybe what is more important is to appreciate how the outlook you choose can influence how you interpret experiences, the choices you make and how you respond to events. Having a positive outlook does not guarantee success, but it does mean we are more likely to keep persevering, make better decisions, remain resilient and look for the learning opportunities in challenging experiences (like you said).

I prefer a more positive approach (😊) to the Law of Attraction. Focusing on recognizing the possibility of positive change and taking action based on that will be more constructive than finding fault with oneself or external sources. 

Anywho, just some good ole' fashion chats with my broski. Wanted to see what others thought.

• Like 1
mark clemson

I think there's something to it, but - color me old school, but I always thought it was "when the student is ready, the teacher appears" not "when the student is ready, the universe turns into a vending machine dispensing out whatever goodies one wishes for".

If things REALLY worked the way it's claimed in some of these things there wouldn't be poverty at all.

I knew a The Secret fan in a work context. While she was certainly nice, she was far from wealthy and in fact her brother seemed to be screwing her out of her part of an inheritance. She did fine, but it was mostly due to being skilled and serious about her job.

Certainly there will always be Dr. Feelgood types getting rich by playing on people's hopes, dreams, and aspirations. I hear that The Secret lady charges quite a bit to join her on one of her cruises.

One might think - ah, so it works. But if that's so, why would there be millions of people out there who (you can bet) very sincerely wish they had enough money to make rent regularly, let alone take a cruise. I think she basically got lucky in the sense that she threw her (not too sensible) ideas up on the wall and they stuck. Good for her I guess. Or perhaps it was always a deliberate scam, who knows.

I suspect these The Secret types end up with a lot of denial and cognitive dissonance - when things don't pan out it's "oh, I did the wishing wrong" or "I'm lucky in what I have" etc. When things DO happen, THEN it's "The Secret"/Law of Attraction magically working.

Edited by mark clemson
  • Like 4
  • Author
5 minutes ago, mark clemson said:

I think there's something to it, but - color me old school, but I always thought it was "when the student is ready, the teacher appears" not "when the student is ready, the universe turns into a vending machine dispensing out whatever goodies one wishes for".

If things REALLY worked the way it's claimed in some of these things there wouldn't be poverty at all.

I knew a The Secret fan in a work context. While she was certainly nice, she was far from wealthy and in fact her brother seemed to be screwing her out of her part of an inheritance. She did fine, but it was mostly due to being skilled and serious about her job.

Certainly there will always be Dr. Feelgood types getting rich by playing on people's hopes, dreams, and aspirations. I hear that The Secret lady charges quite a bit to join her on one of her cruises.

One might think - ah, so it works. But if that's so, why would there be millions of people out there who (you can bet) very sincerely wish they had enough money to make rent regularly, let alone take a cruise. I think she basically got lucky in the sense that she threw her (not too sensible) ideas up on the wall and they stuck. Good for her I guess. Or perhaps it was always a deliberate scam, who knows.

I suspect these The Secret types end up with a lot of denial and cognitive dissonance - when things don't pan out it's "oh, I did the wishing wrong" or "I'm lucky in what I have" etc. When things DO happen, THEN it's "The Secret"/Law of Attraction magically working.

Awesome response. Thanks!

I saw that you edited the part about poverty which I think has some merit. The cycle of poverty is beyond just individual psychology and economic status and there are a lot of other powerful contributing factors such as institutional discrimination, limited access to education, environmental injustice, and other social and structural disparities that can determine an individual’s lifetime of outcomes. So, instead of telling an individual it is “all in their mindset” is not adequate.

• Like 2
  • Author
3 minutes ago, Alpacalia said:

Awesome response. Thanks!

I saw that you edited the part about poverty which I think has some merit. The cycle of poverty is beyond just individual psychology and economic status and there are a lot of other powerful contributing factors such as institutional discrimination, limited access to education, environmental injustice, and other social and structural disparities that can determine an individual’s lifetime of outcomes. So, instead of telling an individual it is “all in their mindset” is not adequate.

Anyway, don't want to comment on that too much as I don't want the thread to become about a political debate.

Thanks again for your comments.

• Like 1
  • Author

Woohoo. I challenged the cosmos...negative and positive.... Law of Attraction....and just received a notification that I was awarded a big scholarship. Ha! Take that Law of Attraction!

Alpacalia is going to Red Lobster tonight.

• Like 3
  • Author
10 minutes ago, basil67 said:

Congratulations Alpacalia!   Well done

Thanks basil!  Lots of paperwork to fill out but honey is going to come over and help me after I treat him to some lobster! He's been so patient with me. I wasn't expecting this at all.

😃

• Like 1

Congatulations Alpacalia 🍾!  Enjoy that seafood :) 

Edited by MsJayne
  • Thanks 1

I believe in the law of attraction BUT I think you have to truly believe in this and be a high vibrational person to see the results. Before I met my ex, I used to write down for almost 12 months that I had a boyfriend who drove a white Audi - I then ended up meeting a guy who work near my office with a white audi. I also wrote down that my sister was pregnant with a baby boy and within less than 4 months my mum rang me and said my sister was pregnant and I now have a 4 year old nephew. The law of attraction does work but if I write down I will win a million dollars tomorrow this won't happen, but if I continue to believe I have won money and continue believing this in my heart, money will come to me somewhere. It doesn't work over night and you have to truly connect with the world and the vibration with your heart but it does work. Be careful how you play with it though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Author
4 hours ago, Ray_xx said:

I believe in the law of attraction BUT I think you have to truly believe in this and be a high vibrational person to see the results. Before I met my ex, I used to write down for almost 12 months that I had a boyfriend who drove a white Audi - I then ended up meeting a guy who work near my office with a white audi. I also wrote down that my sister was pregnant with a baby boy and within less than 4 months my mum rang me and said my sister was pregnant and I now have a 4 year old nephew. The law of attraction does work but if I write down I will win a million dollars tomorrow this won't happen, but if I continue to believe I have won money and continue believing this in my heart, money will come to me somewhere. It doesn't work over night and you have to truly connect with the world and the vibration with your heart but it does work. Be careful how you play with it though. 

Looks like you hit the jackpot with your white Audi wish, my friend! I write things down every morning but a bit different...

To me, any manifestation and goal-setting begins with gratitude. At least that's how I look at it and apply it to myself. It’s inspiring that you had successful results through the law of attraction, and don’t forget that you always have to trust in it and be patient. Enjoy the journey!

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 1:25 PM, Alpacalia said:

What are your thoughts?

I believe there are certain characteristics and vibes in people that we are attracted too and we tend to be attracted to people who share our fundamental values 

the people could even quite different lives which may relate to the notion of opposites attracting but perhaps if you look deeper they are not really as opposite as they appear on the surface,

Hypothetically I can imagine you would be an interesting coffee companion- for instance , from a selfish point of view I would discover more about myself by talking to you

• Thanks 1
  • Author
4 hours ago, Foxhall said:

I believe there are certain characteristics and vibes in people that we are attracted too and we tend to be attracted to people who share our fundamental values 

the people could even quite different lives which may relate to the notion of opposites attracting but perhaps if you look deeper they are not really as opposite as they appear on the surface,

Hypothetically I can imagine you would be an interesting coffee companion- for instance , from a selfish point of view I would discover more about myself by talking to you

Awe, what a thought! That is very kind of you. 

I like contrasting the Law of Attraction with Science because the Law of Attraction talks about the power of our vibrations and thoughts to attract circumstances into our lives, whereas science talks about the power of observation and the effect it can have on our choices and actions.

I think it is an interesting concept to integrate both these theories into our everyday lives.

For example, I was chatting with a friend of mine who shared with me a concept she had heard on a podcast. It was called  'The Ladder of Self Awareness'. This Ladder suggests that when we focus on understanding our current state and our emotions, recognizing the qualities we have that add value and our strengths, we can begin to better recognize our potential and draw upon our enthusiasm and passion to propel us forward.

The issue I have with Law of Attraction is that its application is heavily based on personal interpretation. The concept that like attracts like seems to have become a panacea for all life's problems, depending on the interpretation. I agree that there is some truth in the concept of 'like attracts like', however I believe there is a need to look more deeply into the nuances of the concept.

At its core, it is rooted in quantum physics and really relies on our ability to observe and direct our energy. So it's a matter of exploring other ways to interpret the idea, beyond the simple “what we think, we attract” mantra. It is more complex than that and I believe that the Law of Attraction needs to be supported by understanding our personal experience and the effects of our choices and actions on the world around us.

Anyway, just a few morsels of food for thought. Thanks for your comments, they were interesting and gave me more to think about.

I'm usually quiet most days. :classic_laugh:

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 1