Go-away gift ideas for date

I'm dating a guy for 2 months now (we started talking 3 months ago), and it is going extremely well. Sadly, I'm leaving abroad to finish my degree, and I will be gone for 4 months. I told him this when we started dating, but he just said that when the time comes that I'm leaving, the situation between us will be different already, so we have time to think about it then. Since then, we also talked about visiting each other, as I'm only moving 1.5-flight hours away and 4 months are not that long, so weekend trips are possible. We didn't define the relationship yet, however, we both know that we are not seeing others. I thought about giving him a tiny gift that reminds him of me, on our last date before leaving. Is that a good idea, or would it be too soon? If not too soon, I'd be thankful for small, inexpensive gift ideas, too :)

A locket of your hair? No, that would be crazy.

If you happen to find a unique trinket or souvenir from a place you visit, bring him back a token from it.

Something unique to the destination and what it's known for. That way, you can take a little piece of your experience away with you, and he can have a little token to carry around to remind him of you. It should be a thoughtful and unique present, while also being relatively inexpensive. Plus, it'll be something tangible so that when you come back, it will remind you both of the time apart and the anticipation of being reunited again.

28 minutes ago, marie13 said:

I thought about giving him a tiny gift that reminds him of me, :)

It's a nice sentiment. All you can do is stay in touch and see how it goes. Try not to lock yourself or him down. It's only been 8 weeks dating and a lot could change over the next 4 mos.

Does he like art? If looking for a inexpensive idea, make some art or find prints online, have it printed and framed. Some people like to frame themselves as a couple. You can try that as well. I’ve had people give me that as a gift. Looks nice. 

A small care package with some gag gifts both sentimental and funny reminding you both of your hilarious moments might work if you guys have a sense of humour. 

It’s the thought that counts but don’t worry about it if nothing comes to mind. 4 months is very short. Finish your courses and graduate and work out your plans for your own future. Don’t worry about this guy.

Is there something you do together or somewhere you go regularly that would have meaning for him? For example, if you go to a particular cafe and he loves their cakes maybe get them to make a small takeaway version to give to him, or a bottle of the wine that he loved when you went to a particular restaurant, or if you had a date somewhere and had a really good time, something small and souvenir-ish that reminds him of that date. 

So you've only been talking to him a few weeks.

Forget about a gift. 

You don't even know each other.

20 hours ago, marie13 said:

he just said that when the time comes that I'm leaving, the situation between us will be different already

This tells me he's not as invested in your 'relationship' as you are.

That he's not in it for the long haul.

• Like 1