The unexplained

Unexplained events is something that most people experience at some point of time in their lives.

Let me share an incident that me and a female friend encountered. We were seated on a couch at a get-together held at a mutual friend's house, and the host told us of their experiences living in the house and encountering the deceased boy's spirit. The boy had lived in the house and passed away in that house before my friend moved in. At that point, I was very anxious to dismiss this claim, as I did not entirely believe in such supernatural events. Just as I voiced my non-belief, the couch we were sitting on jerked and shifted. It left us a bit freaked out.

I remain undecided about my belief in spectres. Still, I sometimes think of the possibility of a rationale for the event that we witnessed--when I expressed my dubiety in the thought that it was some supernatural event, the furniture moved in response. Could it be that we are intertwined on a souped-up level of mindset, similar to what we call 'quantum entanglement'? It is an idea that is perplexing to me, and still a bit blurry. The topic is something I've been reading a lot about lately. I'm still trying to make sense of it.

I find it difficult to relinquish my belief that everything in the world can be explained in some way or another. But I'm also aware that to accept something without question is to close off further growth and understanding. Many aspects of life remain unexplainable, and certain questions do not have straightforward answers.

• Like 1

I worked for a time in an old building that was on burial ground some years ago. There were many reports of spirits and unexplained noises and events. I used to go in early and stay late. It felt like there were others around because of noises like keyboard typing and footsteps but I didn’t mind. They seemed in their own world and never bothered me. 

I think Hollywood and film tends to make a big deal of ghosts and we generally think of them as antagonistic. Never encountered that.

Whether these are actually ghosts as in that building I worked at I have no idea but the noises were unexplained as I was the only one in the building. 

• Like 3
  • Author

Yes. I was a skeptic too but then the couch shook the minute I said that I didn't believe my friend. I thought my friend was playing a prank on me (I was checking under the couch and thought I'd find a giant cat or something but there was nothing there).

I asked my friend what was going on, but they just shrugged. I still don't know how the couch shook.

Whatever it was that had me so scared - energy, otherworldly beings, I couldn't tell - made me jump out of my skin. 

• Like 1

When you say you felt scared was it more feeling startled or due to a negative presence? 

Are you ok not having any real answers as to why the couch shook? 

• Thanks 1

I don't have a definite belief in spirits or "ghosts", but I have had a few experiences over the years that leave me open to the possibility.  I certainly don't hold to everything having to have a rational, provable explanation.

• Like 2
  • Author
16 hours ago, glows said:

When you say you felt scared was it more feeling startled or due to a negative presence? 

Are you ok not having any real answers as to why the couch shook? 

I'm not afraid of a little bit of danger, but I still felt somewhat spooked by it. It did not feel like a negative presence though.

Albeit, I like spooky things. Salem, Massachusetts, was one of my favorite places to visit. The historic buildings, cobblestone streets, and the atmosphere of the city is filled with a sense of mystery and adventure. I liked to embark on ghost tours and read up on all the famous haunted spots.

I was thinking about quantum entanglement theory. That two particles can be connected in a way that one particle can be affected by the other no matter the distance between them. I wondered when the couch vibrated if it was a result of the particles interacting. Learning a lit bit more about it the vibration of the couch likely had nothing to do with it but was likely due to some other phenomenon.

Edited by Alpacalia

I certainly do believe in ghost and in paranormal. Not that I buy into any conspiracy theories but some stuff out there cannot be explained by science. I keep an open mind when it comes to anything unexplained. How is believing in ghosts different than believing in God and that there is an afterlife? 

Your experience sounds very interesting Alpaca (as long as you were not totally scared or scarred by it).  Perhaps it is better to let it be and not to go look for any logical explanations.

3 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

I liked to embark on ghost tours and read up on all the famous haunted spots.

Oh, wow. That would be such a great experience!

• Thanks 1
Ageless Wisdom23

I highly believe in the spirit world and have experienced it many times in my family.  My grandma died years ago and as my sister and I hovered over her in the coffin to show our Love, Her cross hanging over her in the Coffin, Began to move back and Forth, Stop and then move again.  This went on for awhile and when we went back to join the family who was in a semi circle near her Coffin, I pointed to Grandma's cross that was moving.  No one could explain it but  those who did believe in the spirit World, Knew grandma was telling us she was okay and  not sick anymore and to thank us for al we did.  I could go on al night Here, But I do believe you experienced the little boy who is stil😐l around.

Edited by Ageless Wisdom23
  • Like 1
mark clemson
On 6/2/2023 at 4:50 AM, FMW said:

I don't have a definite belief in spirits or "ghosts", but I have had a few experiences over the years that leave me open to the possibility.  I certainly don't hold to everything having to have a rational, provable explanation.

+1 on this.

It's certainly true that if the world had gobs of malevolent invisible entities that could harm us at will running around - well, we'd all be dead. That said, I've also had experiences (of a variety of types) that suggest there *could* be something to some of this. Beyond just house noises (which have a known scientific cause) and the other sorts of nonsense you see on "ghost hunting" shows.

Whatever may or may not be going on with ghosts it's clear it's not a simple "they're here" explanation (for the reason stated above). There have to be very substantial "buffers" between us and them (if they exist in a meaningful way at all). Of course in the absence of actual information about this, people fill in the gaps with all sorts of guesswork and speculations, some try to claim actual knowledge and profit off it, etc, etc.

The other main "unexplained phenomenon" I've experienced in my life is what is sometimes called Jungian synchronicity, aka meaningful coincidences. Ancient peoples would have probably called them omens. I've had enough of these crop up at key points in my life to believe something other than chance is going on with them (or that perhaps "chance" has some properties that aren't easily understood scientifically).

Things that aren't accessible to scientific study often eventually become accessible. So it may be that one day whatever is behind the phenomenon of ghosts is fully understood, even if it turns out to be purely psychological in nature.

Edited by mark clemson
  • Like 1