Why does he not make any eye contact when we are walking & talking?

This guy friend & I (we're like closer than friends, but less than "close" friends if that makes sense) 

I've noticed that every time we are walking together, he puts his hands (excluding his thumb) in his pocket, and he never makes eye contact when we talk while walking. He just keeps on looking ahead and conversing. 

Is there a reason guys do this? 

If you're walking, you're side by side, rather than face to face.  Even though you're talking, you both need to look where you're going.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Red2013 said:

he never makes eye contact when we talk while walking. He just keeps on looking ahead and conversing. 

How do you know each other? Do you work or go to school together?  Is there an interest in being more than friends?

Does he have better eye contact when not walking while talking? 

Keep in mind eye contact is not a universal thing. What is rude in some cultures is polite in others. So this basically doesn't mean anything. Eye contact can be construed as anything from attentive to aggressive.

However it seems like you may be looking for signs that he's interested in more than just friends?

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Keep in mind eye contact is not a universal thing. What is rude in some cultures is polite in others. So this basically doesn't mean anything.

Indeed. 

And then there are the people find prolonged eye contact uncomfortable no matter who they are with.  I said that I don't do eye contact while walking...it actually makes for more comfortable conversations.   And don't even think about asking me for eye contact during sex!  I wouldn't get off ground zero if I did.

• Like 1
  • Author
2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

How do you know each other? Do you work or go to school together?  Is there an interest in being more than friends?

Does he have better eye contact when not walking while talking? 

Keep in mind eye contact is not a universal thing. What is rude in some cultures is polite in others. So this basically doesn't mean anything. Eye contact can be construed as anything from attentive to aggressive.

However it seems like you may be looking for signs that he's interested in more than just friends?

We go to school together, when not walking (ie standing or sitting)  he has way more eye contact etc. 

But what you said really makes sense, thank you! 

• Thanks 1
  • Author
4 hours ago, basil67 said:

Woman here:  I also look where I'm going when walking.  

6 hours ago, NuevoYorko said:

If you're walking, you're side by side, rather than face to face.  Even though you're talking, you both need to look where you're going.

Oh yeah of course, just meant it as like literally 100% of the time looking forward (does not look right or left at all, just forward the whole time so i found it interesting) and its only like that when walking, but i get that too so thank you!

9 hours ago, basil67 said:

Woman here:  I also look where I'm going when walking.  

So it's not just a "guy thing"?

• Like 1
ExpatInItaly
4 hours ago, Red2013 said:

just meant it as like literally 100% of the time looking forward

How would you know this unless you stare at him 100% of the time when you're walking beside him? He might feel uncomfortable about that so he keeps his eyes forward. 

• Author
Just now, ExpatInItaly said:

How would you know this unless you stare at him 100% of the time when you're walking beside him? He might feel uncomfortable about that so he keeps his eyes forward. 

I look at him for 2 second every few mins then back to see where we're going, but u can "feel" when someone beside u does smth/looks at u even if u not looking at them directly 

This might be a difficult concept, but your preoccupation with where his eyes are aimed while you are walking side by side is probably creating the awkwardness.  

If you're having a nice time hanging out with this friend, can you just let things be the way they are naturally and enjoy one another's company?

ExpatInItaly
10 minutes ago, Red2013 said:

I look at him for 2 second every few mins then back to see where we're going, but u can "feel" when someone beside u does smth/looks at u even if u not looking at them directly 

Exactly, and he can likely feel your eyes on him and it might be making him a little uncomfortable. 

Regardless, why does it matter that much? He's watching where he is going. That's it. I would be weirded out if I knew my walking companion was analyzing my gaze. 

• Like 2
Lotsgoingon

There are people who just are not in the habit of making eye contact. I am like that and then my ex pointed this out (in a kind way). 

I now can make better eye contact than before. 

The question is what is he saying to you? Are you enjoying the words? The conversation? If you were on the phone, would this be good conversation?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, NuevoYorko said:

So it's not just a "guy thing"?

Not at all.  My female walking buddy doesn't do walking eye contact either

2 minutes ago, basil67 said:

Not at all.  My female walking buddy doesn't do walking eye contact either

I was kind of joking.   Honestly I wouldn't even track the amount of eye contact I had with anyone walking next to me.   

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, NuevoYorko said:

I was kind of joking.   Honestly I wouldn't even track the amount of eye contact I had with anyone walking next to me.   

I hadn't actually given it any thought until this thread ;) 

• Like 1