Connection

mortensorchid

mortensorchid

I have been driving instructing for thr last 2 and a half years.  Those of you who may be around kids a lot may have these moments - one day you look in the mirror and jump back and scream.  "You're not 20 anymore!" When you see the grey hair, wrinkled brow, crow's feet, etc.  I had this moment a while back...

I picked up this boy.  When I pick up a boy I will joke with them or the parents that of we get pulled over I will tell the police we're on our honeymoon.  Depending on how funny a couple we look like it can be hysterical.  But one day about a year ago this gorgeous, golden haired Heath Ledger gets in the car with me.  We hit it off very well, he requested to be with me for all 4 sessions. 

On the final one we got to chatting about things.  He said he has this one friend Bob who has a girlfriend and his parents allow her to sleep over.  With him in the same bed.  I said "Huh..."  He said "What do you think?" I said "Well I have an opinion but it's not appropriate of me to talk about things like that with you".  We parked the car for me to get out to use the bathroom.  When I returned he gave me a look.  I felt it ... We got back to the parking lot where we met and he said I guess this is goodbye.  I said "Yes, all the best to you".  I was going to give him a fist bump and give him his paperwork, then he leaned in closer.  I said "I can't..."  He said "I know..."  And walked away.

6 minutes ago, mortensorchid said:

it's not appropriate of me to talk about things like that with you".  

You handled it well by staying professional and sidestepping any inappropriate talk/action on the customers part and discharging him as a student.

Well done by not engaging with him. 

But honestly, your joke with the parents about the honeymoon is not at all appropriate.  If my daughter's instructor had said this when he collected her,  I would have been so shocked that I don't know what I would have done.   It's best to be professional at all times.

• Like 1