Anyone want to discuss Buddhist practice?

mtnbiker3000

New to this philosophy and would love to discuss ideas and practices with other like-minded folks.

The four Noble truths? Read a little bit.

What do you like about it?

Edited by Alpacalia
ClearEyes-FullHeart

I recently got turned onto Joseph Goldstein, and really like the series of talks available on The Waking Up app. Love the app overall but was really impressed with Goldstein…I think there are around 28 talks of his in the app, and there are other great Buddhist thinkers. I can’t say I am very knowledgeable at this point but Buddhism just seems to resonate with me. Perhaps you know about him but if not you can find some of his talks on YouTube, and info about him and his org IMS online.

I read the following books and thought they are very good introduction books to Buddhism and explain the concepts and practices very well.  You might want to check them out.

What is Meditation?  Buddhism for Everyone by Rob Nairn

https://www.amazon.com/What-Meditation-Buddhism-Rob-Nairn/dp/1570627150

Joyful Wisdom: Embracing Change and Finding Freedom by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche and Eric Swanson

https://www.amazon.com/Joyful-Wisdom-Embracing-Finding-Freedom/dp/0307407802

Edited by hajk
  • Author
mtnbiker3000

Looks like some interesting reading. Here in Portland, I found a meditation center that I really like. Meets on Wednesday nights for an hour. As others mentioned, it just seems to resonate with me. Specifically the idea of attachment. I realize I have been pretty much living my whole life through attachment, which has created plenty of suffering as a result. Especially in the area of romantic partners. I regularly confused love with attachment. I think many, many people do this 😖

• Like 2

That sounds like an intriguing approach to understanding detachment.

"Reading the World: Ideas That Matter" is an engaging book that comprises a series of essays exploring the relationship between literature and philosophy. While it doesn't focus solely on Buddhism, there is an insightful essay in the book that delves into the Buddha's teachings from the Dhammapada. Lao Tzu's ideas on detachment are also discussed, it's a well-rounded resource for readers interested in these topics. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
mtnbiker3000

Do you meditate? If so, what technique or strategy do you use to mitigate distractions? I struggle with meditation, because my mind won't stay focused for more than just a few seconds. I always bring it back to my breathing and reset, but I want to get better. Meaning longer time periods where I can stay focused and not distracted and more control over my thoughts.

@mtnbiker3000 I found these free short audio guided meditations from UCLA Health are very helpful.  Below are some links.  You might want to check them out.

Guided Meditations

https://www.uclahealth.org/programs/marc/free-guided-meditations/guided-meditations#english

Getting Started

https://www.uclahealth.org/programs/marc/free-guided-meditations/getting-started

I do. During Yoga class and at home. It's hard for the mind to shut off.  Takes some practice but you get used to. So I would say practice is a good strategy (at least for myself).

Edited by Alpacalia
4 hours ago, mtnbiker3000 said:

I struggle with meditation, because my mind won't stay focused for more than just a few seconds.

Do they have centers near you where you could get guidance? See if there are local mentors, classes or places to learn more and practice.

• Author
mtnbiker3000
17 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Do they have centers near you where you could get guidance?

Yes. Luckily there is a very good center within 10 minutes of where I live. Every week we spend and hour on guided meditation and discussing Buddhist philosophy. The instructor is very experienced and quite good.

However, I still struggle with efficient meditation techniques and would like to to improve!!