A gal pal getaway is on. I'm pumped! Except.

Alpacalia

16 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

Did you have a favorite dish while you were there? Should I not order ketchup with my steak? So many questions.

It’s all good…

First, you won’t see much steak in Italy. You also won’t see much ketchup! 

The food is amazing - we enjoyed all the pasta, pizza, gnocchi, bruschetta, caprese salad, seafood. The food just tastes different in Italy - more flavour. And they say the food gets better the further south you travel. ;) Each region has its different specialties and different wines. I was advised to try the local wine in each region - so we did. Wine is cheaper than water. ;) Cappuccino and espresso are so good and you will see the most amazing deserts. Anything lemon is good in the south - try the lemoncello! 

Be prepared, it’s common in Italy for people to dine later in the evening, to dine in large groups with family and friends, and the servers won’t bring you the bill unless you ask because they expect you to stay and visit like the locals. The other thing - menus will have several “courses.” Ie. Salad, meat, pasta, desert. Portions are small, but filling - you can’t possibly eat each of the courses in the menu because it would be too costly and you would be so full!! But, they make you feel like you should… Again, I think people will dine for hours and have several courses… maybe that’s why? Or they share? I don’t know.

If you can find Stanley Tucci’s series Searching for Italy, you will get a taste (pun intended). Although, there are some pretty bizarre foods featured - I’m not that adventurous. 

Edited by BaileyB
  • Like 1
  • Author
15 hours ago, BaileyB said:

It’s all good…

First, you won’t see much steak in Italy. You also won’t see much ketchup! 

The food is amazing - we enjoyed all the pasta, pizza, gnocchi, bruschetta, caprese salad, seafood. The food just tastes different in Italy - more flavour. And they say the food gets better the further south you travel. /cdn-cgi/mirage/d2ebeb414d326134dd87269a1a95676ae0f4315977034a2de9df2d8799e9db46/1280/https://www.loveshack.org/content/emoticons/wink.gif.6242da29907218d9034537cede97dce3.gif Each region has its different specialties and different wines. I was advised to try the local wine in each region - so we did. Wine is cheaper than water. /cdn-cgi/mirage/d2ebeb414d326134dd87269a1a95676ae0f4315977034a2de9df2d8799e9db46/1280/https://www.loveshack.org/content/emoticons/wink.gif.6242da29907218d9034537cede97dce3.gif Cappuccino and espresso are so good and you will see the most amazing deserts. Anything lemon is good in the south - try the lemoncello! 

Be prepared, it’s common in Italy for people to dine later in the evening, to dine in large groups with family and friends, and the servers won’t bring you the bill unless you ask because they expect you to stay and visit like the locals. The other thing - menus will have several “courses.” Ie. Salad, meat, pasta, desert. Portions are small, but filling - you can’t possibly eat each of the courses in the menu because it would be too costly and you would be so full!! But, they make you feel like you should… Again, I think people will dine for hours and have several courses… maybe that’s why? Or they share? I don’t know.

If you can find Stanley Tucci’s series Searching for Italy, you will get a taste (pun intended). Although, there are some pretty bizarre foods featured - I’m not that adventurous. 

Amazing. Thank you so MUCH.

🌻

The dangers of carbohydrates and wine and desserts, Italy seem to turn it all on its head with dizzying success! Longer life expectancy and just seems a much better quality of life. 

I'm going to check out the series that you recommended, maybe I can learn a thing or two 😁🌝