Wife Appreciation

BootsAndJeans

This may be a bit different, as I am not complaining.

My wife and I met in high school, I was 18 and she was 16. I met her on a UIL trip. I saw her sitting with some other girls, eating pizza. I told my buddy John, "That's the girl I am going to marry". I walk over to her table in in my most suave, teenage boy move said, "Excuse me, can you tell me what time it is?"

She asked me if my watch was broken and smiled. We started dating the next weekend. I graduated and went to college in the same town and we continued dating. August, after she graduated, we were married at 19 & 18.

Almost forty-years ago, the best thing in my life happened, she said yes to that first date. We have been through my military combat deployments, raising two children, my cancer and have come out stronger. There have been rough spots and the highs and lows of any marriage, but we worked through them. Before we married, we made a commitment that "divorce was not an option". This implied that we both would do and not do things that would breach the trust and relationship.

I came from a broken and dysfunctional family life, she did not. She has been patient, loving and forgiving of my many faults. This past summer, as I laid in bed recovering from cancer surgery, she dedicated her time to tending and supporting me. At 57 years old, she helped me to the bathroom, to put on my underwear and clothes and I was humbled by her care and love for me in that time.

God may not have made her an angel, but he came darn close.

• Like 3

This is lovely to hear. 

2 hours ago, BootsAndJeans said:

Before we married, we made a commitment that "divorce was not an option". This implied that we both would do and not do things that would breach the trust and relationship

You had the secret sauce.