Wife experiencing sudden urinary incontinence, symptoms not clear

My wife (F / early 40s / premenopausal / two children, last pregnacy >5 years ago) told me she is experiencing some problems with urinary incontinence.

I adviced her to setup an appointment at the GP. She agreed that she will do that if the problem persists. I really believe this is the best advice but the obvious embarrassment is holding her back for now. She said she will go see the doctor if the symptoms don’t clear up over the next one or two weeks.

What has us puzzled is that the symptoms don’t seem to fit any of the common cases.

Symptoms:

- appeared rather suddenly about a week ago with no apparent reason;

- some sensation of needing to urinate but not an intense urge;

- this sensation is quickly followed by loss of urine in small quantities, often too quickly to get to a bathroom in time;

- it seems to occur most often shortly after a visit to the bathroom;

- no typical factors for stress incontinence (sneezing, coughing, lifting weights, exercising);

- none of the typical signs for UTI (such as painful/burning sensation during urination, lower abdominal pains, frequent urges to urinate regardless of full/empty bladder).

Background: I remember my wife dealt with a light case of stress incontinence during her last pregnancy, nothing beyond the ordinary. Occurences of stress incontinence after pregnancy have been very rare. 

No recent bodily changes such as weight gain, diet changes, changes to exercise habits, or episodes of disease.

She indicates she feels like menopause is coming closer, but recent hormone tests were clearly indicating there is no menopause yet).

The appearance of the symptoms (sudden, no apparent provocation) could point to UTI, but the symptoms themselves do not look like a UTI. They seem to resemble a pelvic floor prolapse more (but why would that occur all at once?).

Are there suggestions for what this could be? Things my wife should get on the doctor’s radar? Specific tests she should ask for?

20 minutes ago, Will am I said:

- appeared rather suddenly about a week ago with no apparent reason;

- some sensation of needing to urinate but not an intense urge;

- this sensation is quickly followed by loss of urine in small quantities, often too quickly to get to a bathroom in time;

- none of the typical signs for UTI (such as painful/burning sensation during urination, lower abdominal pains, frequent urges to urinate regardless of full/empty bladder).

Even those these are typical urinary tract symptoms, she needs to see a physician for a workup. Incontinence could be due to infection, stones, neurological issues, etc. so she needs a doctor asap. But try to relax about it. Any tests will be based on an initial evaluation (such as starting with the most basic like urinalysis) and ordered appropriately. Do not have intercourse or oral sex until she gets evaluated and treated.

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1

When did this start? She might want to book that appointment asap. Answers from the forum are not to be taken as medical advice. She needs to see her doctor and get her dr’s advice on how to proceed. I’m afraid waiting two weeks is going to cause more questions and stress.

Edited by glows
  • Like 1