I got rid of instagram today and it feels like a huge relief

It has dawned on me more and more the past few years truly how bad for my health social media is. I stopped using facebook a few years ago, and the past few years instagram has slowly turned the same way too. I deleted it today when I realised just how much it can distract me from my own life and interests. I used to rarely compare myself to others and always stay on track in my own lane and I noticed the last few years the comparisons and depressing feelings of inadequacy have sprung up through constant scrolling. Its so insidious! I feel.. liberated now I deleted it. 

Did anyone else find that it was very unhealthy for their mental and emotional wellbeing? 

Changing social media habits can be very rewarding. 

I found that having far too many angry political posts coming through on my feed would get me wound up and angry.  Either I'd get cross about the sharing of misinformation or clickbait or the thing would be a genuine issue and I'd get cross about that too.  That's not to say that ignorance is a better choice, but overload is certainly a thing.   Moderation in all things is generally how I try to live life and have found that I need my social media to reflect it.   So I unfollowed all the political sources I had on my feed, and I've also found that the algorithms are no longer delivering the volume of political issues which are shared by friends.  In it's place, a whole lot of happy animal videos have arrived and it's a far nicer way to do social media.   To be honest though, I mostly use FB so that I get alerts for events and can connect with others who share my hobbies.

Meanwhile my 23yo has largely pulled back from IG and Tik Tok.  Not only because of the time wasting, but because of all the influencers - with fake body parts or filters - who's images can skew one's view of what is "normal". I'm glad she recognised this before falling into the trap.

This stuff really needs to be used with care.

Edited by basil67

That's awesome, OP.

Whatever helps you live a peaceful life.

I interact with Facebook in moderation.

There is no doubt that it can take a lot of time and attention away from other priorities. 

14 hours ago, astutise said:

It has dawned on me more and more the past few years truly how bad for my health social media is. I stopped using facebook a few years ago, and the past few years instagram has slowly turned the same way too. I deleted it today when I realised just how much it can distract me from my own life and interests. I used to rarely compare myself to others and always stay on track in my own lane and I noticed the last few years the comparisons and depressing feelings of inadequacy have sprung up through constant scrolling. Its so insidious! I feel.. liberated now I deleted it. 

Did anyone else find that it was very unhealthy for their mental and emotional wellbeing? 

I don’t feel it’s unhealthy. Then again I don’t post anything regarding my personal life and there are no personal photos. There seems to be a tendency to live through the screen which does seem bizarre so if you feel it’s not for you, best to leave it alone. 

On 9/5/2022 at 7:32 PM, astutise said:

Social media is like junk food or alcohol. Some can use it with discrimination without getting hooked or suffering consequences, some can't. The key is what's right for you and your usage and health.

• 4 weeks later...

I once read somewhere that social media is like smoking.  We know it's bad for us but we're addicted and we do it anyway.

I don't think I could ever delete it.  I need it for certain things.  But I do recognize that it's very important to keep boundaries.