Got a new job, supervisor chose me to be a subject matter expert, a role that I didnt even apply for.

sandybeaches2323
1 hour ago, Wiseman2 said:

Are you being appropriately paid/remunerated for this position if you feel it's above your pay grade? Research what people in that capacity typically make and if it's not commensurate with what they are offering, ask for a raise.

Well my job title is not Subject matter expert just starting role, but my title has a 3 after it. So theres, 1,2 and 3. 3 being the more higher up. But no clue if the pay rate should be higher. Never thought about that. Are you saying if they were to give someone that has been there for more than 2 years they would have to give a pay raise ? And they are throwing me into it so that they dont have to pay me more? Would it be safe to tell the supervisor thar i dont want to be a Sme? I already starting applying for other jobs

If you want to work with the company then be clear and assertive about what role you DO want. Don't keep rejecting opportunities. That will likely be on the company record that you turn down roles. Remain positive whatever you choose. It's not clear why you're job hopping like this and applying for another job after just two months here.

sandybeaches2323
2 hours ago, glows said:

If you want to work with the company then be clear and assertive about what role you DO want. Don't keep rejecting opportunities. That will likely be on the company record that you turn down roles. Remain positive whatever you choose. It's not clear why you're job hopping like this and applying for another job after just two months here.

Yeah, but if i tell them that i dont want to be a sme, they might fire me and i’ll be unemployed. Thats why i’m looking for a job, so that if they were to fired me, i’ll have one lined up. Job hopping isnt a bad thing. Do what works and what doesnt. Why be miserable?

also, i find it shady they immediately made me into a sme. Unheard of. Do other tenure ppl not what the hard work or something? Its like they want to keep the ones that have been there a long time and give them easy tasks

Edited by sandybeaches2323
22 hours ago, sandybeaches2323 said:

asked me what dept i wanted to me in and chose the one that i didnt apply for, i mean, maybe i would be a better fit for that role

What was the advertised position/title? What is the corporate culture like? Is it one of those 'everyone has to multitask and be a jack-of-all-trades' type of credo? If so run.

Edited by Wiseman2
4 hours ago, sandybeaches2323 said:

Do what works and what doesnt. Why be miserable?

If it were me ( which it isn't ) I'd give it a go and ask to be mentored by someone who knows what is required.

I totally understand why managers bring in new 'experts' because many workplace cultures are otherwise resistant to change. People think they are experts because they've done the job for a while even if they are not doing a great job.

If you're not comfortable don't do it, but it could be an opportunity to grow.