Break up because of long distance relationship

Me and this girl have been dating for about 3 weeks before she broke up with me i really liked her and she really liked me back and showed it too but I leave to go to my foreign country for a year and at first i asked her if she wanted to keep talking and she said she would but iv been dry with her all of last week and its my first fr relationship so i didn't really know how it worked and i guess she didn't feel right and told me that she was feeling ignored and that i didn't care. And i guess i can't blame her tho, if i was me i would have broken up with me too. i didn't really ask her to give me another chance or anything because i could tell she was fr on breaking up and i agreed with her. I leave the U.S in a month and i dont come back until next summer after i finish freshman year which means ill see her at the start of sophomore year I still really like her and was wondering if i should ask her out again when i come back i feel like i was really immature while dating her and that those 3 weeks shouldn't really count as "dating time". Should i ask her out again after a year? Or should i just let it go??

Cross that bridge in a year. In other words, let it go for now and make new friends/see or date other women locally in your home country. You changed in three weeks? What kind of person do you think you'll be in one year? You may change quite a bit. Same for her. 

I wouldn't keep in touch on social media too much or text back and forth. Maybe stay acquaintances but stop with the bf/gf check-ins. It seems pointless to me when you can't see each other in person and a total drag. I bet you'll have fun and forget about her as soon as you move.

ExpatInItaly
12 hours ago, yabsanefse said:

was wondering if i should ask her out again when i come back

Wait and see what next year brings. Don't worry about this right now, because so much can change and you might be in very different places. You might not be sinlge, she might not be single. 

It isn't fun, but given that you only dated a very short time, it's best to let each other go for now. You don't have a foundation to keep this going for a year when won't see each other at all.