17 year old unusual behaviour . depression?

Michaelroyale

Michaelroyale

I've been with my fiance afew years now and watched her son grow and mature into a 17 year old..but I've noticed over the last few years his behaviour is stange and unusual..I'll explain he literally lives in his bedroom on his computer, has no friends although hes at college, doesn't have any conversational skills and seems to always make some kind of weird sexual statements that to be honest dont make any sence...never talks about the opposite sex or seems interested which for a 17 year old boy is strange ,spends all his money on cloths especially hoodies and nike trainers ,he don't seem to have any interest in anything apart from learning the guitar, hes very negative about literally everything and is very difficult to talk to...I've invited him out and holidays but declines everything...my children think hes weird and rude but I've tried hard to help him...is it depression or something else I which I cold help him...any advise would be appreciated...

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
formatting
30 minutes ago, Michaelroyale said:

I'll explain he literally lives in his bedroom on his computer, has no friends although hes at college, doesn't have any conversational skills and seems to always make some kind of weird sexual statements that to be honest dont make any sence...never talks about the opposite sex or seems interested which for a 17 year old boy is strange ,spends all his money on cloths especially hoodies and nike trainers ,he don't seem to have any interest in anything apart from learning the guitar, hes very negative about literally everything and is very difficult to talk to..my children think hes weird

Do you live together? Your GF's son is her and his father's responsibility and concern. If she and his father feel he needs to see a physician or therapist, they will take  him. Some of the things you mention such as clothes, guitar, one-word answers, etc. are normal

Teens can be broody and moody. Perhaps he resents your presence or is dealing with typical teen angst and awkward teen issues.  If your children don't like him don't have them hang around with him that much. Your children are not adolescent psychiatrists so try to comfort them and focus on them and good parenting with their mother. Stay in your own lane on this to prevent conflicts.

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1
  • Author
Michaelroyale

thankyou for your response ,I dont live with them full time,and our children dont interact with each other, regarding his father he never speaks well of him,and to my knowledge caused alot of emotional damage to all of them in the past..he never paid any maintenance and was narcissistic in nature, so probably not the best role model for him...your perhaps correct it's not my job to father him and probably I'm better not to do that .

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
formatting
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Michaelroyale said:

spends all his money on cloths especially hoodies and nike trainers ,he don't seem to have any interest in anything apart from learning the guitar,

Sounds fairly typical to me. Today's young adults mature more slowly, there's even a term 'emerging adults' for the period 18-30 now. Seems to involve a lot of unnecessary melodrama to an older person like me!

Just keep being kind and involving him in any family group activities, which even if he declines he knows he can join in if he likes. 

Some people prefer the periphery. Learning the guitar is a great activity. 

• Like 2

It's not your child, and you don't live there.  I don't think there is anything you can do.  It's his parents' responsibility, not yours.