Ladies. can you explain this to me?

I'm a woman and I don't get this at all.  No one else is going to know the size, and if the tagged size offends her she can cut it off (I will admit I HAVE done that before).  If I find a great look and feel, I'm taking it, regardless of what the tag says.  But then again I find I often don't act like the "typical" woman 🙂

• Like 1

Just curious, is she going through hormonal changes in her body (menopause)? It does seems like a bit of overreaction. 

But yeah, sizes vary from brand to brand. I can fit into size 8 jeans for  some brands, but for some, a size 13 is too small for me. Go figure, lol

The best thing for you to do is to keep telling her that you love her no matter what. Tell her that she looks super sexy in these jeans that you made for her. Maybe make less often the delicious candies  that you have been  making for her (if that's an option, he he he). Is she worried that you are going to leave her because of her weight, I wonder? Not saying that you will but maybe she worries about that and it makes her react certain way. But if this is the only problem that the two of you have in your relationship, consider yourself lucky. 

10 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

Yes, "V" gets a little "nutsy" about weight and clothes.  Her mother was very thin and was always on "V" and her sister about weight and getting heavy, so it's probably a leftover issue from childhood.

Oh, just read this. That explains a lot actually.  Wow, no wonder she is sensitive when it comes to sizes. Just keep telling her how much you love having her in your life.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Happy Lemming said:

She has a few pairs, I guess she likes them. 

My curiosity led me to ask.

Clothing sizes vary from store to store and brand to brand, leading to the term vanity sizing which I was alluding to in order to convey this notion.

Some people are opposed to vanity sizing, the concept itself, as well as the negative connotations associated with it in the industry.

Jeans for women can in general be quite challenging to find a good fit for. Every brand, cut, and size are different, so there are so many options and styles available to choose from. They are normally my least favorite items to shop for. Plus I find them uncomfortable.

Perhaps if she likes the look of jeans and likes leggings, maybe she would enjoy jeggings as well.

Edited by Alpacalia

Women's clothes sizes are so borked anyway. You'd get a US size 6 which is a AUS size 10, and then in UK it's a size 36 or something??? Like, WHY?? 🤣 (Don't quote me on that, I can't remember the exact conversion but that's the gist of it! UK sizes always feel yuuuuge.)

• Like 2
  • Author
Happy Lemming
14 hours ago, Alvi said:

Just curious, is she going through hormonal changes in her body (menopause)? It does seems like a bit of overreaction. 

"V" went through early menopause 20+ years ago.

14 hours ago, Alvi said:

Maybe make less often the delicious candies  that you have been  making for her (if that's an option, he he he).

Yes... she had been on a "no dessert" and "no candy" diet for the past few days.  At 10:30pm last night she asked if I would bake a cake, that she REALLY wanted something sweet.  So, I cranked up the oven and whipped up a late night chocolate cake.

14 hours ago, Alvi said:

Is she worried that you are going to leave her because of her weight, I wonder?

No, she knows her weight/size isn't a factor in our relationship. Her weight fluctuates and its a non-factor (in our relationship).

14 hours ago, Alvi said:

But if this is the only problem that the two of you have in your relationship, consider yourself lucky. 

We fit together like two puzzle pieces. She is quite happy to have found me and vice-versa. 

• Like 2
  • Author
Happy Lemming
5 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

Perhaps if she likes the look of jeans and likes leggings, maybe she would enjoy jeggings as well.

"V" has a casual "girl's day" outing (coming up) with a bunch of her girlfriends and wanted to wear jeans.  She traditionally will wear a sun dress or slacks and blouse.  She has a few skirts, but I don't think she has any leggings.  At least, I've never seen her wear them.

• Like 1
poppyfields

I don't act like a "typical" woman either in many respects however I DO understand the mindset. And yes it's emotional, 100%.

There was a time I would not have purchased the larger size; my thinking was instead of purchasing the larger size, I will buy the smaller size and starve myself for a week to fit into them! 😳

It's a great incentive to lose those dreaded 5-10 lbs so I absolutely get where "V" was coming from Lemming.

These days, don't care what the number is, I have jeans that are size 0-6 depending who the manufacturer is.  And I don't carry extra weight which makes a difference.

Also, I refuse to go to Dept stores anymore, those mirrors!  Ugh, no thank you. 

I order everything on line, I have free shipping to most, if they don't fit, I mail back with full refund back to my card. 

Have you suggested that to her Lemming?  

I also don't involve my boyfriend is my shopping endeavors, it's a recipe for disaster as what you experienced.  Glad you worked it out though HL.  :)

• Author
Happy Lemming
17 minutes ago, poppyfields said:

I order everything on line, I have free shipping to most, if they don't fit, I mail back with full refund back to my card. 

Have you suggested that to her Lemming? 

I don't think ordering on-line was an option, as she wanted to wear jeans for this upcoming "girls-day" outing (this week). 

I didn't ask about her previous jeans that she used to have.  I assume she donated them to Goodwill when she moved to my house this past September, as she donated A LOT of clothing to Goodwill and decided not to move it.

• Author
Happy Lemming
22 hours ago, Foxhall said:

She perhaps simply wanted to prolong the adventure and make a proper shopping trip day out of it,

where was the fun in simply going home straight away,

just my take on it!

Under normal circumstances you would be correct, but it is already quite hot here (in the desert).  It is unpleasant going from store to store in this heat, as the car's interior becomes an oven.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, poppyfields said:

There was a time I would not have purchased the larger size; my thinking was instead of purchasing the larger size, I will buy the smaller size and starve myself for a week to fit into them! 😳

It's a great incentive to lose those dreaded 5-10 lbs

This is it! 

I have clothes hanging in my closet now that I’m really looking forward to wearing when I lost those dreaded 5-10 lbs. 🤣

Edited by BaileyB
  • Thanks 1

I've moved twice in the past 6 years, and each time I've moved a box of clothes that are a size too small for me now - just in case.  Unfortunately knowing they are there hasn't provided enough incentive for me!  But there are quite a few cute clothes in that box, so I keep holding on to them.  Maybe some day 🤞

• Author
Happy Lemming
1 minute ago, FMW said:

But there are quite a few cute clothes in that box, so I keep holding on to them.  Maybe some day 🤞

It was still pretty hot here when I moved "V", so I think her "too small" clothes weren't worth the hassle of boxing them up & moving them, yet again.   She hates the whole process of moving, so that was probably a factor with her "too small" clothing.

She probably said to herself... "Enough is enough, into a trash bag and donate them to the Goodwill"

• Like 1
seapebbles

Sadly, women learn from a young age that to be beautiful you need to be a certain clothing size and weight. I grew up very overweight, so clothes shopping can certainly be an emotional event! I rarely take a man clothes shopping with me. It's too frustrating for me and my insecurities about the size and the fit of clothing are my own to deal with. 

I'm glad you found a solution that you are both happy with, but I would suggest that you not go clothes shopping with her in the future. She's an adult and can go on her own or with girlfriends. 

• Like 2