Waiting on Engagement Ring

I've been in a long distance relationship with my partner for 11 months I'm from uk and he is from france, a few months into the relationship he asked to marry me, he planned to come and visit me in April and we would go out and buy an engagement ring together he was here 2 weeks and no mention of engagement ring I've dropped many hints and so has my friends to him but to no avail.Now he is here for the long bank holiday weekend,before he came yet again was the promise of buying a ring together,he goes home in 2 days and no mention of the ring.Im starting to get fed up and really depressed because of the constant promises he makes to me and breaks,he seems to have money to spend on other things while he's here but I seem to buy everything and him nothing 

stillafool

Did you ask him "I thought you said you were going to buy me an engagement ring, what happened?"   Don't have your friends drop hints just come right out and ask him what is going on?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fedupuk said:

I seem to buy everything and him nothing 

I'm sorry to hear this. It sounds like he's looking for a free ride/holiday. He bribed you with thoughts of a wedding and that seemed to keep you interested. Is this the first time you've both spent time together or seen each other in person?

I say this so many times on the forums but it's worth mentioning again. You're dating someone to see their character and who they really are both within and outside of the relationship. That you're long distance makes things harder as you're not seeing how he operates or lives his life firsthand. Anything that he tells you about his life in France may be filtered or adapted to suit his needs. If he's a liar or a person who uses people, this is a great opportunity to con available and gullible partners in another location. It's all the more reason to keep your eyes peeled and be much more observant about whether he is who he says he is or whether he does the things he says he's going to do. 

It's already a red flag that he's proposing marriage so early on within a few months of knowing each other. Be wary, OP.

• Like 1

I've been in a long distance relationship with my partner for 11 months I'm from uk and he is from france, a few months into the relationship he asked to marry me. he seems to have money to spend on other things while he's here but I seem to buy everything and him nothing 

Sorry this is happening. 11 months is the time to observe what's going on in the relationship and how you feel. Not plan the future.

Talking about marriage after a few  mos. is a red flag. He doesn't even live near you. Sadly it sounds like string-along talk. 

Don't be a free Bread and Breakfast for him. Have you visited him in his home? Is he married/in another relationship? Stop hosting and paying when he visits.

• Like 1
ExpatInItaly

Ask him directly why he keeps talking about buying a ring but then doesn't follow through. Stop dropping hints, and don't recruit your friends to drop hints either. 

But what is the rush to get engaged? You haven't been dating very long - how much time have you actually spent together in person? 

• Author

I've asked him his reply was can you buy it and I will give you the money next week my answer is no thinking of breaking it off 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Fedupuk said:

thinking of breaking it off 

Good call. End it he's a clown.

• Like 1
ExpatInItaly

his reply was can you buy it and I will give you the money next week

How romantic and thoughtful. 

I hope you realize this guy is not serious about marrying you. Just get rid of him. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Fedupuk said:

I've asked him his reply was can you buy it and I will give you the money next week my answer is no thinking of breaking it off 

It sounds like he's been toying with you for awhile. Let him go. This isn't a loss. It's a gain. You'll be regaining your freedom and freeing your mind and heart to find someone better than this.

Edited by glows
  • Like 2

We all deserve better than this: he's just counting on you not realising it. You're wasting time with him that could be spent on your own pursuits or with friends/family/partners who care about you. Agree that moving on from him will be nothing but gains! :)

• Like 1