Anyone feels like the pandemic, lockdowns etc. changed the way your mind works?

Hi all!

I have been thinking about this for a while. Has anyone felt like the pandemic changed the way they think? The lockdowns combined with online university resulted in me practically not going out for about a year and a half.

Somehow it had some positive effects for example I learned to appreciate being alone more, but at the same time the lack of outside stimuli has led me to develop mental ruminations where I start thinking about negative things and memories repeatedly, and even after I went back to university in September, I feel like the negative effects remained. For example the amount of thinking I did led me to start disliking some people in my life, I felt I was more carefree and had some rose-colored glasses before. Idk how to feel about this, the negatives have a weight.

Have you experienced something similar? What do you think?

Absolutely. There has been a huge uptick in people experiencing mental health issues from the upheaval in their lives, isolation, economic losses, etc.

Some estimates state up to 40% of people in surveys state they have experienced this. There are many more mental health hotlines now and free resources available whether it's just talking to someone about stress or getting directed to  mental healthcare.

Also the seemingly never-ending nature of it affects people. Even with vaccines and masks there are still variations cropping up that people fear. People want to see the light at the end of the tunnel when things are like  before all this.

• Like 1
  • Author
13 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Absolutely. There has been a huge uptick in people experiencing mental health issues from the upheaval in their lives, isolation, economic losses, etc.

Some estimates state up to 40% of people in surveys state they have experienced this. There are many more mental health hotlines now and free resources available whether it's just talking to someone about stress or getting directed to  mental healthcare.

Also the seemingly never-ending nature of it affects people. Even with vaccines and masks there are still variations cropping up that people fear. People want to see the light at the end of the tunnel when things are like  before all this.

Yeah I agree thank you for your input

• Thanks 1

For me? No, not really. I suppose I enjoy my local area much more and don't travel as much. But aside from the travel thing - the Covid lockdown didn't impact my life all that much.

That being said, humanity - as a whole - is definitely suffering from some sort of collective mental illness. At the societal level and individually. I think it will take years or decades for our species to recover. 

• Like 3
  • Author
36 minutes ago, Mrin said:

For me? No, not really. I suppose I enjoy my local area much more and don't travel as much. But aside from the travel thing - the Covid lockdown didn't impact my life all that much.

That being said, humanity - as a whole - is definitely suffering from some sort of collective mental illness. At the societal level and individually. I think it will take years or decades for our species to recover. 

Thanks for your input! I definitely agree it has had upsides.

But in my case I feel like a few thinking mechanisms in my head went haywire but otherwise it's generally fine.

No, it hasn’t impacted me that much but there have been adjustments. Nothing drastic.

Regarding your previous rose-coloured lenses, that may be general maturing as you grow older. Don’t become too jaded and bitter. Keep looking for growth and stay curious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was a little weird at first because I wasn't used to not being around people as much, so it took a little while to adjust.

My interaction with strangers seemed lost to me.

Everything had changed. Old life is gone. Massive casualties. That took some time to absorb.

The pandemic was so powerful in its spreading that it forced everyone to take a step back to think about the things we really took for granted before it ever happened.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 1

It probably reinforced my belief that ultimately I am quite introverted and a loner at heart,

well probably a social loner rather than reclusive.

I always considered myself something of an oddball but maybe on reflection I should have had more confidence over the years. 

• Like 1
On 5/22/2022 at 1:30 PM, firefly11 said:

For example the amount of thinking I did led me to start disliking some people in my life, I felt I was more carefree and had some rose-colored glasses before.

Me too.

This year as the pandemic wound down I got depressed and my doctor prescribed antidepressants. Doing better now. 

Adapting to a changed life, a changed world, takes time. 

• Like 1
  • Author
On 5/24/2022 at 9:26 PM, SingFish said:

Me too.

This year as the pandemic wound down I got depressed and my doctor prescribed antidepressants. Doing better now. 

Adapting to a changed life, a changed world, takes time. 

I don't feel like I have some kind of chemical unbalance that needs adjustment. Just feel like I got clarity I didn't want. Added to the couple events that happened to me lately I feel kind of down. 

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by firefly11
  • Thanks 1
dramafreezone

I'm on the moderate to high end of the introvert scale, so I'm used to being in isolation for extended periods of time.  That said not having the option of socializing did take its toll on me.  There's a big difference between choosing isolation and mandatory isolation, and even introverts want *some* stimulation to balance ourselves a bit.  It took a while for me to get back out there when things opened up but I'd say I'm back to normal, pre-COVID behavior with regard to socializing.  Maybe in some respects I'm even partaking more regularly in social activities than pre-COVID.  Just take your time and move forward on your own schedule, that'd be my advice.

As far as the nature of people, well I think I've thought for some time that we're all self-interested by instinct.  Years ago this angered me, but these days I'm realizing that I'm no better than anyone else as far as self-interest.  And I don't think most people are self-interested in a malicious or evil type of way.  We're just all trying to survive ultimately.  I think that realization helps to empathize with others.  Those people you have anger and negative feelings towards, well they're going through stuff too, we're all going through something.

Edited by dramafreezone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
1 hour ago, dramafreezone said:

I'm on the moderate to high end of the introvert scale, so I'm used to being in isolation for extended periods of time.  That said not having the option of socializing did take its toll on me.  There's a big difference between choosing isolation and mandatory isolation, and even introverts want *some* stimulation to balance ourselves a bit.  It took a while for me to get back out there when things opened up but I'd say I'm back to normal, pre-COVID behavior with regard to socializing.  Maybe in some respects I'm even partaking more regularly in social activities than pre-COVID.  Just take your time and move forward on your own schedule, that'd be my advice.

As far as the nature of people, well I think I've thought for some time that we're all self-interested by instinct.  Years ago this angered me, but these days I'm realizing that I'm no better than anyone else as far as self-interest.  And I don't think most people are self-interested in a malicious or evil type of way.  We're just all trying to survive ultimately.  I think that realization helps to empathize with others.  Those people you have anger and negative feelings towards, well they're going through stuff too, we're all going through something.

Thank you for your insight. The last part was very empathetic and I will think about it I honestly it can be helpful.

Edited by firefly11
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, absolutely.  I feel that it's changed me in many ways, permanently.  I still carry with me this discomfort and aversion to going into crowded places, gatherings, or traveling far from home.  My world has become a lot smaller.  I skip events, I stay close to home.  I mostly go to work and then back home.  I don't see things ever going back to the way they were pre-pandemic.

• Thanks 3
ClearEyes-FullHeart
37 minutes ago, ShyViolet said:

discomfort and aversion to going into crowded places, gatherings, or traveling far from

I feel the same! My county has a mask mandate again but I never stopped wearing one at stores etc. despite being vaccinated and boosted (still need to get booster 2 later this month). I never liked crowds before covid but now so much more.

Edited by ClearEyes-FullHeart
  • Like 2