What Are Some Interesting or Random Things to Learn?

Alpacalia

In your opinion, what are some random topics that you think would be really interesting to learn about?

Is there anything that you think everyone should know about or learn about that they perhaps haven't already?

I'm finding some subjects hard to learn at the moment. It’s difficult, but doable.

How do you do? Are there any things you want to learn or tackle? 

Very vague, do you mean taking classes and courses? 

Do you mean for fun or for basics? 

Many people would benefit from a better understanding of finances.

As far as fun, try ballroom dancing, martial arts, a language,etc.

• Thanks 1

I think education in general is in a dismal state in this country. At the least, they should bring back civics classes. Agree with Wiseman about finances. They should teach that in school.

For myself, I’m getting more interested in practical skills. Would like to learn how to garden, so I can grow my own food. Interested in learning how to shoot too.  Never know when you might need it. 

• Like 3
  • Author
Alpacalia
32 minutes ago, jah526 said:

I think education in general is in a dismal state in this country. At the least, they should bring back civics classes. Agree with Wiseman about finances. They should teach that in school.

For myself, I’m getting more interested in practical skills. Would like to learn how to garden, so I can grow my own food. Interested in learning how to shoot too.  Never know when you might need it. 

Civics was part of my Political Science course just wrapped up. Agree, super important!

Finances are a good one too.

Oh, you'll like shooting. I did both a shooting range and skeet shooting. The indoor range was way too overwhelming for me but outdoors away from people felt much safer. Plus its fun to cock a shotgun and shoot clay thingies. 

• Like 1

Research local colleges/universities for adult education. Also check with other offering for classes and courses. Try local libraries, etc.

Tai Chi

Cooking

Sign language

Tax preparation

CPR

Brain surgery

• Like 2
NuevoYorko

Wow.  Every day I am flooded with curiosity about things and want to learn all about them in depth.   Right now the frontrunners are:  the environmental and economic impact of Amazon's return policies and handling thereof (triggered by an article I happened to read)  and the evolution of place names in Great Britain (vacation caused this one).  

My problem is that I don't have the attention span or self discipline to get in depth like I want to.  I get sidetracked by some new shiny question.

Sometimes I have pursued knowledge in a more formal way, like deciding to learn Italian via an online course, or how to fix my own bike.  

• Like 1
mark clemson

Note that it's not a given the Earth will be destroyed by the sun, as it's actually possible to incrementally move it (e.g. into a farther out orbit, and then back close again as necessary) using the gravity of a large asteroid. The sun will be a white dwarf for a LONG time (trillions of years, apparently) and we could continue to live near it and siphon off its energy, etc.

Anyhow...

• Like 1
  • Author
On 5/13/2022 at 12:50 PM, mark clemson said:

Note that it's not a given the Earth will be destroyed by the sun, as it's actually possible to incrementally move it (e.g. into a farther out orbit, and then back close again as necessary) using the gravity of a large asteroid. The sun will be a white dwarf for a LONG time (trillions of years, apparently) and we could continue to live near it and siphon off its energy, etc.

That's pretty interesting.

Tibetan glaciers contain ancient viruses.

Well, that's good to know if the greenhouse effect can be slowed and nothing melts.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 1