do employers get mad if someone doesn't give 2 weeks notice?

stillafool

I think you said the right thing.  It was polite without giving too much information.

7 hours ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

"where I will be going." . I simply said, oh, I'm going to be working at an financial company..

Good call. Sounds like they wanted to warn the place you're going to.

• Author
Sunnydays1111
6 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Good call. Sounds like they wanted to warn the place you're going to.

I had to do an exit interview with the Director, he was like interrogating me as to "why" I wanted to leave. I kept saying, the job wasn't a good fit for me anymore after 6 months. Is that so hard to understand? Kept asking what I didn't like about it, what could have been done better. Geez. Its not new to them, it was a hospital job, where there is a high turnover mostly because alot of ppl there are students, so they either quit or come back after they graduate. Are those the "typical" exit interview questions? Cuz for a minute there I thought they were harassing me. Then he asked me if there was something about my supervisor that I didn't like-didn't necessary ask me that but seemed to be going in that direction b/c I was in that room with her 4 out of 5 days, I simply said no, even though I couldn't stand her or it was one of the reasons I quit-she was rude when I offered to help and I had to hear her complaints all day and was some cranky old woman that wanted to vent her frustrations out, then he said if there was an issue it will be kept between me and him. I was like yeah, right, like I'm suppose to believe him. Just seem they were all pissy about me leaving, and I'm sure my supervisor was-I'm thinking because she will have no one to vent to and have someone else to make miserable with her. I know deep down she hates her job, but is stuck there till retirement. We don't live in an age where we are stuck at a job for 50 years , ppl do have options to pursue other things, why would they get angry about it? Will they have a hard time finding some other idiot to do my job now and having to put up with my supervisors crap?

There's no way they will track down my next place of employment will they? Especially my supervisor since she seems envious of me leaving and wanting me to be happy.

Edited by Sunnydays1111
Happy Lemming
3 hours ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

I had to do an exit interview with the Director, he was like interrogating me as to "why" I wanted to leave.

Yes... I was leaving one job (where I was the Controller) and they wanted me to do an exit interview.  I really didn't want to, but they said it was mandatory.

So the first question was "Where am I going??"  At first I was going to say "none of your business" but I knew that wouldn't fly, so I told them I was going to the local Walmart to be a greeter.  I've forgotten the second question, but I gave a smart answer to that one as well and the HR representative ended the "exit interview".

There's no way they will track down my next place of employment will they? Especially my supervisor since she seems envious of me leaving and wanting me to be happy.

Don't put it on social media or your linked-in page and I don't see how they could track you down. 

Not likely but people are nosy and may take an interest at first. All that fades in time. You were right to keep your new role’s details bland. They have the added challenge of replacing someone in your role so most people don’t have time to waste over being meddlesome and petty. It will also reflect poorly on their company and give question as to what caused an employee to leave in that state in the first place. Always two sides to the coin. 

When do you start your new role? I’d take the weekend anyway to recoup and destress. This job seems to have caused a lot of grief. 

They won't bother. Besides they can't say anything other than she worked from x day to y day,  anything else is libel/slander. They are not interested. It's not important to them to spite you. Just move on. It will all blow over.

Edited by Wiseman2
25 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

At first I was going to say "none of your business" but I knew that wouldn't fly, so I told them I was going to the local Walmart to be a greeter.

🤣😂Fantastic!

• Like 1
stillafool

Your Exit Interview sounds exactly like mine.  The exact same questions.  It's just a standard interview not an interragation.  Your Supervisor had nothing to do with it.

Edited by stillafool

Yes, all those exit interview questions are normal.  Thing is, a stable workplace is a good workplace, and each person who leaves costs the employer time, money and inconvenience.   Without feedback, they won't know how to address the issues which are creating high turnover. 

• Like 1
  • Author
Sunnydays1111

Was the director bullcrapping me if there were "any issues" with the supervisor it would be kept between me and him and not leave the room? I was tempted to say how I couldn't stand being in the same room as my supervisor-she was a real old, grouchy rude woman and would often vent, make snarky comments, was really nosy. I'm not the only one who felt that way b/c there was another co-worker that was in there with me that also has to put up with her and she was telling me about her and how she wears headphones because the supervisor vents all day to her so she tunes her out. But I don't trust the director- and I know he would probably go and tattle to her what I said about the supervisor-then the supervisor would find a way to find out where I would be working at and make sure I wouldn't be employed.

But do you think I should have told him?

You quit. Let it go. Think ahead and think forward. What type of job do you have lined up? When do you start?

Watch out for nasty exit interviews, they serve no purpose, since you're leaving anyway. The time to say anything is when it can be remedied, not after you quit.

• Like 1
  • Author
Sunnydays1111
On 5/7/2022 at 12:13 PM, Happy Lemming said:

Yes... I was leaving one job (where I was the Controller) and they wanted me to do an exit interview.  I really didn't want to, but they said it was mandatory.

So the first question was "Where am I going??"  At first I was going to say "none of your business" but I knew that wouldn't fly, so I told them I was going to the local Walmart to be a greeter.  I've forgotten the second question, but I gave a smart answer to that one as well and the HR representative ended the "exit interview".

Don't put it on social media or your linked-in page and I don't see how they could track you down. 

I see. I guess those are the common exit questions, still...I think the director was giving me crap-he seemed to get offended when I told him, I wasn't interested in healthcare anymore, question me about it, then asked what my parents did for a living. Um, that's not part of those exit interview questions now, what my family does for a living is certainly none of his business. It rubbed me the wrong way.

• Author
Sunnydays1111
9 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

You quit. Let it go. Think ahead and think forward. What type of job do you have lined up? When do you start?

Watch out for nasty exit interviews, they serve no purpose, since you're leaving anyway. The time to say anything is when it can be remedied, not after you quit.

Well I start tomorrow.

stillafool

Well I wouldn't worry about any of them anymore and just be glad you're finally gone and onto a job you hopefully love. Onwards and upwards from here.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

Was the director bullcrapping me if there were "any issues" with the supervisor it would be kept between me and him and not leave the room? I was tempted to say how I couldn't stand being in the same room as my supervisor-she was a real old, grouchy rude woman and would often vent, make snarky comments, was really nosy. I'm not the only one who felt that way b/c there was another co-worker that was in there with me that also has to put up with her and she was telling me about her and how she wears headphones because the supervisor vents all day to her so she tunes her out. But I don't trust the director- and I know he would probably go and tattle to her what I said about the supervisor-then the supervisor would find a way to find out where I would be working at and make sure I wouldn't be employed.

But do you think I should have told him?

Yes, you should have told him.  If many people who leave give the same story, it will give him the information he needs to counsel her on her behaviour or fire her.  

As far as her sabotaging your new job, I highly doubt that would happen.  Assuming that your social media is secure and you don't advertise your workplace, she wouldn't know where you work.  And even if she did reach out, any half decent employer would recognise that her behaviour is vastly inappropriate and end the call.  She'll likely forget about you the moment you're out the door.

Edited by basil67
  • Like 2
  • Author
Sunnydays1111
On 5/8/2022 at 6:49 PM, basil67 said:

Yes, you should have told him.  If many people who leave give the same story, it will give him the information he needs to counsel her on her behaviour or fire her.  

As far as her sabotaging your new job, I highly doubt that would happen.  Assuming that your social media is secure and you don't advertise your workplace, she wouldn't know where you work.  And even if she did reach out, any half decent employer would recognise that her behaviour is vastly inappropriate and end the call.  She'll likely forget about you the moment you're out the door.

Doesn't make any sense as to why he would say that-like anything that you tell me would be kept between me and him. even if I would have told him, then he would have not done anything about it if its just gonna be kept between "me and him." Yeah, whatever, if he thinks I'm that dumb to tattle. That's like a stranger saying "help me look for my lost puppy" then a white van with tinted windows shows up

Edited by Sunnydays1111
stillafool
8 hours ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

Doesn't make any sense as to why he would say that-like anything that you tell me would be kept between me and him.

We're all told the same things in these exit interviews.  They probably all use the same Questionaire.  They probably keep it in case someone tries to sue them.  No big deal.

So, how was your first day on your new job?!

• 2 weeks later...
mortensorchid

I don't think they mind that much.  Especially if you have been offered a job and the new job says they want you to start sooner than 2 weeks notice.  I quit one job and told them that my last day was going to be the Friday of next week and it wasn't 2 weeks.  

Whatever you do, go out with as much grace and dignity as possible, even when you get fired.  Do you want others to call the police to get you out of there?  People will never stop talking about that.  Be classy not trashy. 

I always found that my best employees were also the ones that were conscientious enough to give at least two weeks notice. Many also gave a full months notice as they wanted to be available to train their replacement.

stillafool
55 minutes ago, Weezy1973 said:

I always found that my best employees were also the ones that were conscientious enough to give at least two weeks notice. Many also gave a full months notice as they wanted to be available to train their replacement.

Yeah and probably you liked those employees and they liked you too.  OP doesn't like her Supervisor and couldn't wait to leave.