Sunday Afternoon Blues

Queenie Goldstein

Queenie Goldstein

Anyone has any experience with Sunday Afternoon Blues ?

I've had bouts of depression and anxiety throughout my life, but atm everything is pretty good.

Most Sundays it's like a wave of sadness even grief hits me out of the blue, most googling normally says it's the dread of a workweek coming. But im happy at work, social life been building back well post covid.  

Any tips ? 

Thanks x 

15 minutes ago, Queenie Goldstein said:

I've had bouts of depression and anxiety throughout my life, 

See a physician for an evaluation of your physical and mental health. Rule out physical causes such as endocrine or other issues. Ask for a referral to a qualified therapist for ongoing support.

Join some groups and clubs, volunteer, get involved in sports and fitness, take some classes and courses. Fill your weekend with things you enjoy.

I get that in small ways.  I like my work, but I still dread having to jump back into the coming week's work after having a few days off to do as I please. I like the freedom and relaxed nature of most of my weekends and I hate seeing them come to an end.  

Do things you enjoy on Sunday afternoons to distract from these feelings and remind yourself it's just a passing blue mood.  Looking forward to the things coming up during the next week and weekend that I really like also helps distract from those feelings.

If it's striking you more than just on Sundays you do need to seek additional help to make sure it doesn't get worse.  If you have a history of anxiety and depression then you know what's helped in the past.

Happy Lemming

I (usually) like cooking a big Sunday dinner, something special... a treat -- if you will.

When I worked, Sunday was also the day that I cooked and froze all of my "brown bag" meals for the upcoming work week.  I would also make hard boiled eggs.  I'd put one hard boiled egg in my "brown bag" to go to work and when I got hungry at 10:00am - 11:00am (at work) instead of reaching for some high calorie "candy" or "snack", I'd have my hard boiled egg.

Again, when I worked... the less I had on my mind for Monday morning, the easier it was sliding back into the "work week" routine.

6 hours ago, Queenie Goldstein said:

Anyone has any experience with Sunday Afternoon Blues ?

I've had bouts of depression and anxiety throughout my life, but atm everything is pretty good.

Most Sundays it's like a wave of sadness even grief hits me out of the blue, most googling normally says it's the dread of a workweek coming. But im happy at work, social life been building back well post covid.  

Any tips ? 

Thanks x 

I used to feel like this when I was in the rat race, what felt like a constant onslaught or blur. It was more of a twinge of regret that the weekend was over. I think it tends to happen more when work felt like work. When it no longer feels like work anymore and more enjoyable the blues go away. 

• Like 1
ClearEyes-FullHeart

I remember feeling this way while still a student, and at times now. Usually thinking about work on a Sunday or the tail end of a vacation can feel like a downer. I have my own company and enjoy what I do but can still experience this if I start thinking of all the deadlines to come.  

I make a point to shift my mind away from work if I do that - it helps me. I have always been one to worry or just start getting too much in my head. I try to avoid that - if that means jotting down a few notes so I can stop the mind games, I will also do that.