Should I contact him?

Hey everyone. My ex and I broke up a few weeks ago. His dog just passed away and he called me at midnight while my phone was on do not disturb, called back immediately and let it ring once before hanging up. Didn’t leave me a message or text me. What does this mean? Should I contact him and tell him I’m sorry about the dog or what? I want him back but I’m not sure where to go from here. 

5 minutes ago, stardustbb said:

he called me at midnight while my phone was on do not disturb, called back immediately and let it ring once before hanging up.

Sorry this happened. How long were you dating? What was the breakup about? 

How do you know his dog died? Are you still following each other on social media? 

He can see you called, so let him reach out again, if he wants to, but do not keep contacting him.

• Author
3 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Sorry this happened. How long were you dating? What was the breakup about? 

How do you know his dog died? Are you still following each other on social media? 

He can see you called, so let him reach out again, if he wants to, but do not keep contacting him.

We were dating for 5 months. He was debating taking a job in another country and needed a break while he figured it out. 

I didn’t call him, he called me twice but hung up once it rang 

• Author
Just now, stardustbb said:

We were dating for 5 months. He was debating taking a job in another country and needed a break while he figured it out. 

I didn’t call him, he called me twice but hung up once it rang 

Also we still follow each other and that’s how I know 

It’s ok to text him that you’re sorry for his loss but be realistic that he doesn’t feel the same way about you if he’s confused about the relationship or has reservations. 

3 minutes ago, stardustbb said:

We were dating for 5 months. He was debating taking a job in another country and needed a break while he figured it out. I didn’t call him, he called me twice but hung up once it rang 

Ok, well if he has something to say he'll text, call or leave a VM. You are right to ignore it until he communicates in a mature manner. Let him reach out.

• Author
11 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Ok, well if he has something to say he'll text, call or leave a VM. You are right to ignore it until he communicates in a mature manner. Let him reach out.

I just feel bad if I don’t reach out with my condolences and was confused as to why he called me twice 

13 minutes ago, stardustbb said:

I just feel bad if I don’t reach out with my condolences and was confused as to why he called me twice 

Since you still follow each other on social media, if I were you, I would simply express my condolences on one of those public platforms. Even texting him to express your condolences would be totally acceptable, in my opinion.