I'd like to understand the fairly new policy of closing most threads that have active participation.   

From my perspective, just because 20 people jumped on and posted doesn't necessarily indicate that there are not many more potentially valuable contributions to the topic.  

The most current one I've noticed is about a person who posted pictures of their deceased ex on social media.  The discussion was on whether this was inappropriate because they had a new partner, or not.

To me, this is interesting.  Seems that others were also engaged.  Yet, it was deemed to be done and closed.  How is this determined?

If discussions are now disallowed, or at least discouraged,  I'm not sure of the point of the forum.   We might as well have a topic like that and simply allow a vote that would be open for a certain number of hours.   Appropriate, or inappropriate.  No talking.  But LS would be dead.  

If the owners want this forum to continue, some threads are going to need to remain open for a developing discussion - even if it rambles or people get into disagreements - and also even if the OP is not pleased with the input they may be receiving.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I noticed some threads are too emotionally heated and end up with insulting comments towards the OP because current members are bringing their own emotions into play and past experiences. The moderators walk a thin line trying to encourage helpful discussion and ending discussions that are no longer helpful.

Hi NeuvoYorko, thank you for asking the question.   

That a thread is still active does not necessarily mean that it's productive.  Some threads, particularly ones which have gone on for 10's of pages generally end up going in circles with the same questions being asked and the same advice being repeated.   Other threads have had a question thoroughly answered and the OP hasn't returned to discuss further.    Other threads have OP's who's posts appear to be less than genuine.  Again we close these threads when the question has been answered.

We also have issues where the amount of TOS breaches in a thread require more time than the moderators have to manage it and we've had to close those threads.   And to be clear, we have never supported ongoing rambling or debates as they derail threads and take focus away from the OP.   And as @glows mentioned, people tend to get hot under the collar which then derails threads even further.

All in all, the most important person in a thread is the OP.   The role of posters is to engage with the OP and assist with their dilemma.   

regards, Lisa

Edited by Lisa

I will add that often those threads are started by members with multiple other usernames and accounts that have completely different stories. We shut down threads so you don’t waste your time trying to convince a fake member with a fake story of something they will never be convinced of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 2