Is this acceptable?

A friend of mine lives in a ski resort, and owns a house split in to three flats. He has let me stay in his flat, at the top, for a month. The tenants in the bottom flat are a couple in their 60s, and they manage the letting of the middle flat which is let on a weekly basis to tourists.

When I arrived, they gave me a key and said that I was to leave it outside the top flat at all times, because they need constant access to the top flat in order to get fresh sheets and towels etc. should they need them for the middle flat. I'm not in the habit of leaving a key outside my door, and I've never had to be responsible for someone's access to a property before. I suggested that it might be easier to get an extra key cut so that they don't have to rely on me to leave the key out, but they insisted that this wasn't possible in the country we're in. I'm quite forgetful and naturally the letting of the middle flat isn't my business, but I agreed to leave the key outside and did so with the best intentions.

One morning, the girl who lives in the flat with me forgot to take a pair of ski boots down to the lift. She rang me in a tizz and asked if I could bring them down on the next bus, which was in 5 minutes time and a 5 minute walk away. I grabbed her boots and ran down to the bus stop, making it just in time. I gave her the boots, and carried on up the mountain myself. When I stopped for lunch, I got a call from the male half of the couple who live in the bottom flat.

He asked if I had the key. I realised that in my haste, I'd forgotten to leave the key behind. I apologised profusely and suggested that I interrupt my lunch and zip down to the bus stop immedeately and put the situation right. Despite this, he went off on a tirade of aggression, telling me 'Where the f*** do you think that leaves us?! you are aware that there are guests arriving today?!' (I wasn't, because they hadn't told me). I apologised again and explained that I had rushed out to give my flatmate her boots, and forgotten in my haste. He told me 'Well Don't f***ing Forget!' , I said that really, the management of the letting of the middle flat is not my responsibility and it would be much easier if there was another key, that way I wouldn't be involved at all and he wouldn't have to rely on me. I explained I work all week and take on freelance work in the evenings, so I have a lot to think about, and it's easy to forget to put the key out. He told me 'that's what I'd expect a six-year-old to say, not a f***ing adult with a job!'. 

I told him I was coming down and raced to the bus stop and called him back to tell him the bus was coming in 15 minutes. He answered very calmly, 'oh, we can do without it this afternoon, it's just the principle', and then hung up on me. When the guests arrived, they came to my flat in a state of confusion, having not been told where to go.

I resent being made responsible for something that doesn't involve me. I should add that when I made the arrangement to stay in the flat with my friend (to whom I am paying rent) he made no mention of the arrangement. This man is not my father or my boss so I totally resent the way he spoke to me as well. His level of aggression was totally uncalled for, in my opinion. Does anyone disagree?

9 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

I resent being made responsible for something that doesn't involve me. I should add that when I made the arrangement to stay in the flat with my friend (to whom I am paying rent) he made no mention of the arrangement. 

Talk to your friend/landlord before his property managers do. All you and your GF can do until you make other arrangements is cooperate.

• Author

I understand that, and I'm happy to cooperate, but should I stand for such treatment? or remonstrate with them and let them know I don't appreciate being spoken to that way.

You should have told him "DON'T EVER SPEAK TO ME AGAIN."  Then tell your friend who you are paying rent to that you will not be responsible for any keys or anything having to do with the other flats.  That's that.

Edited by stillafool

He was out of line, but do you think there's some sort of resentment boiling over on his part? Presumably he doesn't normally behave this way, otherwise you wouldn't be friends, right?

How much rent are you paying, is it actually at market rate or is it a token sum of maybe $50/week?

• Author

he's not my friend at all. I hadn't met him before I moved here. This was two weeks in to my tenure here. My friend owns the flat and is letting it out to me. He also owns the flat downstairs which he is letting out to the older couple. He isn't here though, he's back in the UK. I'm paying a mate's rate for sure, about £100 a week. But they are also friends of his so I expect they're being given a favourable rate too. Either way, that isn't my prerogative, but I see what you're saying. 

17 minutes ago, stillafool said:

You should have told him "DON'T EVER SPEAK TO ME AGAIN."  Then tell your friend who you are paying rent to that you will not be responsible for any keys or anything having to do with the other flats.  That's that.

Meant to say "DON'T EVER  SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT AGAIN."

• Like 1