What's a good reason to quit a job that I just started?

Sunnydays1111

I've been at my job for 3 months and I don't like it. I don't like the job, the environment, etc, etc. I haven't quit nor have I started even looking for something new, don't know the plan but maybe I plan to keep working there till the summer while I find something new. Should I even put that on a resume and what is a good reason to leave? My previous job I was there for 2 years-main reason that I left was the long commute-which is a valid reason to leave, my job before that I was there for 12 years-company wide layoffs. I remember when I was at my last job, I applied for a position while I was employed for 5 months -the recruiter kept on questioning me as to why I was at one job for 12 years and I want to quit the previous one while being employed there for 5 months. She assumed that I'm one of those job hoppers, hit it and quit types-which is silly. I mean, I know job hopping is bad, but if something doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

Should I leave my current job out , so it won't look bad that I want to quit something that I just started? What do I say?

• Like 1

I have never seen on a resume why people quit their job. Keep that for when and if they ask in an interview. When they ask never talk bad about an ex employer, simply say the job was not challenging enough, you want a position where your experience and expertise will be fully utilise, etc. You were 12 years in the same company, you are not a hopper. Don't be embarassed to seek a job you'll be happy at. 

No, don't leave your job out. It will show a gap with no work for 5 months, that looks worse than a 5 month job. 

• Like 2
  • Author
Sunnydays1111
12 hours ago, Gaeta said:

I have never seen on a resume why people quit their job. Keep that for when and if they ask in an interview. When they ask never talk bad about an ex employer, simply say the job was not challenging enough, you want a position where your experience and expertise will be fully utilise, etc. You were 12 years in the same company, you are not a hopper. Don't be embarassed to seek a job you'll be happy at. 

No, don't leave your job out. It will show a gap with no work for 5 months, that looks worse than a 5 month job. 

I think you misunderstood me. I meant when I'm being interviewed the recruiter will question as to why I want to leave a job that I just started when I was at a job for 12 years. At least, that's what happened a long time ago when I was at my previous job and during those 5 months that recruiter kept pressing me why, not sure if she was being witch, but over the phone she was kind of condescending, I simply told her the line of I want a job that will align with my goals, blah, blah, blah. Not sure what her deal was

9 hours ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

I simply told her the line of I want a job that will align with my goals, blah, blah, blah. Not sure what her deal was

You answered well, she was being a bully. Sorry you had to endure that but you have to conquer that fear and move to a better job.

• Thanks 1
  • Author
Sunnydays1111
13 hours ago, Gaeta said:

You answered well, she was being a bully. Sorry you had to endure that but you have to conquer that fear and move to a better job.

I had no idea she was being a bully? I'm just saying won't most recruiters think that since I was at a job for 12 years and would want to leave a job that I've been for less than 6 months, they would assume I would want to quit a future job-with them if i was hired?

1 minute ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

they would assume I would want to quit a future job-with them if i was hired?

No.

Any smart recruter with 2 cents of logic would think you are simply looking for a job better suited for you. And because you were in a job 12 years that indicates you are capable of professional long term when the job is right for you.

You are not the first or the last person to quit a job after a few months because it doesn't suit them. Recruters know that.

• Like 2
  • Author
Sunnydays1111
On 2/1/2022 at 9:17 PM, Gaeta said:

No.

Any smart recruter with 2 cents of logic would think you are simply looking for a job better suited for you. And because you were in a job 12 years that indicates you are capable of professional long term when the job is right for you.

You are not the first or the last person to quit a job after a few months because it doesn't suit them. Recruters know that.

Okay so if a manager looked at a resume, what would they think?

1st job listed: 12 years

2nd job listed: 1 year and 5 months

3rd job listed: 4 months

spiritedaway2003
10 hours ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

It’s fine. I’d care more about your skills than your length of employment.  I might inquire why the last job is so short (based on concern that we would spend time to train you for you to just up and leave), but the 4 month length in and of itself isn’t bothersome. Personally, I’ve had a longer gap with my last job change and that get asked at the interviews, but it was never a deterrent from moving forward through the interview rounds.  Sounds like you didn’t have a good experience with a recruiter.  Good recruiters know to look for more than a gap in employment.  Keep searching and focusing on what value you can bring to the table.

Edited by spiritedaway2003
  • Like 1

You don't actually need a reason and some prospective employers won't ask (although some will). "I was seeking a better opportunity and heard about your company..." can work pretty well IMO.

Suggest you land the new job before leaving the old one if possible. Suggest you don't bash your old employer at an interview, either - this is notorious for backfiring on the job seeker. Looking for better tends to be enough.

Edited by mark clemson
18 hours ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

Line up a new job first. Get an excellent very professional profile on LinkedIn. List prior jobs and education and qualifications.

Upload your contact list  and see who's on there that you know. Make "connections".

Follow your schools and former companies and 'connect' with fellow alumni as well as previous coworkers.

Follow some interest groups and professional organizations.

It's possible you can bury a 4 mo job if you would rather not list it.

• Author
Sunnydays1111
11 hours ago, spiritedaway2003 said:

It’s fine. I’d care more about your skills than your length of employment.  I might inquire why the last job is so short (based on concern that we would spend time to train you for you to just up and leave), but the 4 month length in and of itself isn’t bothersome. Personally, I’ve had a longer gap with my last job change and that get asked at the interviews, but it was never a deterrent from moving forward through the interview rounds.  Sounds like you didn’t have a good experience with a recruiter.  Good recruiters know to look for more than a gap in employment.  Keep searching and focusing on what value you can bring to the table.

Yeah, maybe that recruiter was just harassing me as to why I was at a job for 12 years and why at previous job -(not my current one) I wanted to leave after only working there for 5 months.

• Author
Sunnydays1111
3 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Line up a new job first. Get an excellent very professional profile on LinkedIn. List prior jobs and education and qualifications.

Upload your contact list  and see who's on there that you know. Make "connections".

Follow your schools and former companies and 'connect' with fellow alumni as well as previous coworkers.

Follow some interest groups and professional organizations.

It's possible you can bury a 4 mo job if you would rather not list it.

what prior jobs are you taking about? I'm only going to list my first, second, third job. Maybe leaving my third job out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
Sunnydays1111

Would it be a good idea to just give my 2 weeks notice without having a job lined up yet? I'm going to start applying to several jobs and hopefully get a some interviews. I absolutely am miserable at my current job now, too stressful working at a hospital, getting yelled at for not doing something right -which comes with the territory-I'm not a nurse or anything like that. i work at a damn lab, but still-when the recruiter told me about the position, i didn't think i would be answering phones and doing the job entirely alone at some point-plus i have no medical background-so i have no clue how to answer a question when someone asks me on the phone or in person- and now the mangers/supervisors are complaining to me how i can't answer that. i'm like what the heck? I mean, they are hammering in me about how "i" should provide great customer service-when half of the nurses there are rude and yell at the lab staff and the my co-workers use an expletive language talking about a nurse.

Also, my supervisor is getting on my nerves. when i starting working there-i offered some help-since i didn't have any work to do, she replied, "I don't want you getting in my way-is that rude? It will get done eventually, but thanks for the offer." Anyone think her comment was uncalled for? I mean, she could have just said, "No, thats okay , thank you though." The I don't want you getting in my way-comment was freaking expletive rude, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

the recruiter told me about the position

Don't go through recruiters. They are sales people who get a commission filling positions nobody wants. Do not quit until you have something lined up. Ignore bossy or obnoxious coworkers.

• Like 1
dramafreezone
On 1/30/2022 at 7:02 PM, Sunnydays1111 said:

I've been at my job for 3 months and I don't like it. I don't like the job, the environment, etc, etc. I haven't quit nor have I started even looking for something new, don't know the plan but maybe I plan to keep working there till the summer while I find something new. Should I even put that on a resume and what is a good reason to leave? My previous job I was there for 2 years-main reason that I left was the long commute-which is a valid reason to leave, my job before that I was there for 12 years-company wide layoffs. I remember when I was at my last job, I applied for a position while I was employed for 5 months -the recruiter kept on questioning me as to why I was at one job for 12 years and I want to quit the previous one while being employed there for 5 months. She assumed that I'm one of those job hoppers, hit it and quit types-which is silly. I mean, I know job hopping is bad, but if something doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

Should I leave my current job out , so it won't look bad that I want to quit something that I just started? What do I say?

I quit a job after the first day.  It was painting houses and for some reason I didn't know that I was petrified of being up on a huge ladder.  You don't need to have a reason or owe anyone an explanation other than you're unhappy doing it.

In any event, I don't think 3 months really qualifies as "just started."  It's long enough for you to know if it's a good fit for you and what you need.

That said, you don't want to develop a pattern of quitting jobs that eventually scares future employers off.  I would not give up one job before you have another lined up though (unless your current situation is unsually hostile), that comes across as irresponsible.   Plan it out, interview and get an offer before giving your notice.

I agree that you should not go through recruiters, I never have.  Go and look for the job that you want.  Recruiters aren't doing anything that you can't do yourself, and you will be able to speak on your own behalf instead of having a recruiter do it for you.

Edited by dramafreezone
  • Like 1
  • Author
Sunnydays1111
On 2/23/2022 at 9:44 AM, Wiseman2 said:

Don't go through recruiters. They are sales people who get a commission filling positions nobody wants. Do not quit until you have something lined up. Ignore bossy or obnoxious coworkers.

What the heck do you mean don't go through recruiters? Every hospital has a HR department, I applied online and someone from HR reached out to me to set up an interview to speak with the manager. Little did I know I would be answering phones , and pretty much just leave me out there on my own-geez, maybe they should have mentioned that in the interview /job description.

12 hours ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

Every hospital has a HR department, I applied online and someone from HR reached out to me to set up an interview to speak with the manager.

If you applied directly to the company that's not a recruiter. Just keep looking for other jobs then resign from this position.

• Like 1
  • Author
Sunnydays1111

So once I get a job offer somewhere else, would it be a good idea to tell the supervisors that I found something else or tell them that I'm moving to another state? Because the other day my supervisor and the director of the dept kept telling me how much they "invested in me." and was giving me this spiel on how my trainer/co-worker is currently looking for a daycare and he will need time off and that I will need to fill in for him later in the year. I just think if I told the that I found another job when I give my 2 weeks notice, they will get all pissed at me, I mean I prefer to tell them that I'm moving . I mean, they shouldn't get pissed off if I wanted to leave

18 minutes ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

So once I get a job offer somewhere else, would it be a good idea to tell the supervisors that I found something else or tell them that I'm moving to another state? Because the other day my supervisor and the director of the dept kept telling me how much they "invested in me." and was giving me this spiel on how my trainer/co-worker is currently looking for a daycare and he will need time off and that I will need to fill in for him later in the year. I just think if I told the that I found another job when I give my 2 weeks notice, they will get all pissed at me, I mean I prefer to tell them that I'm moving . I mean, they shouldn't get pissed off if I wanted to leave

You don’t have to give an exact reason. Give your two weeks notice as you had intended and if anyone asks where you’re  headed next you’re not obligated to tell them.

If you are moving, mention you’re moving. No reasons necessary. No further explanation. Change the topic and discuss work and ask them if you’ll be training the new hire and what they require of you before you leave. You may be asked to make notes of anything in progress. It’s common not to meet the new hire so just make sure you ask them what’s needed from you before you go.

Employers will be more concerned about filling the role again asap rather than wanting to know specific details of why the last person is leaving. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

So once I get a job offer somewhere else, would it be a good idea to tell the supervisors that I found something else or tell them that I'm moving to another state? 

Honesty is the best policy. Especially don't burn bridges or act bitter upon your departure. Simply resign with the appropriate notice when you have something else secured. Get personality conflicts out of the equation.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

I mean, they shouldn't get pissed off if I wanted to leave

It doesn't matter if they are pissed.  You can't make everyone happy you just have to do what is best for you.  Give your notice, thank them for the opportunity but the job wasn't a fit for you.  Simple as that and don't say more.

• Like 1
On 2/4/2022 at 7:22 PM, Sunnydays1111 said:

Yeah, maybe that recruiter was just harassing me as to why I was at a job for 12 years and why at previous job -(not my current one) I wanted to leave after only working there for 5 months.

The recruiter was harassing you and often times they don't get paid unless you stay 6 months or a year.  

On 3/1/2022 at 7:36 AM, Sunnydays1111 said:

Of course they shouldn't get pissed off that your leaving, but would you be surprised?  Goes along with the kind of management that make you want to leave.

Knowing that, you should keep your job search super secret.

Also you shouldn't feel guilty, especially if you are in the US where we have employment at will.  Companies always sell that as a boon to the employee, they can leave at any time, take them at their word. :)  

Lotsgoingon

I was just having this conversation with a young person I mentor. My recommendation to him: quitting a job after a short time carries absolutely no bad consequences (unless your reason for leaving is just insane--you know, I don't like the office coffee.

You leave a job because you aren't a good fit for the job or the job isn't a good fit for you and your gifts. Looking back, I recall several people in my profession changing jobs after a short time--and they ended up at much better jobs. We don't live in an economy anymore where rigid loyalty is valued. We live in an economy where if you hate your job, you typically won't do good work at that job and so if you can find a job that's a better fit for your talents and personality, that is the security you need. 

Some people stay in jobs for short periods because other jobs hear about them and recruit them for much higher salaries. Lots of people have a mix of skills and it's understood these days that you can't really know your skillset sometimes until you try it out at a particular job. 

Don't let your current employer guilt you into staying one day longer than you have to. Remember, these folks will lay you off without the slightest hesitation if their business declines. New employers simply want to know that you can DO the job. 

• Like 1

My husband was mentoring our uni grad daughter on this.  She has found a good job in her field and another place has tried to poach her.  So hubby told her about a guy who they'd recently employed who left after two months for a new job.   Hubby's response (along with other relevant staff) was to blacklist this person.  They weren't rude or anything, but this fellow will never be given a job by any of those guys in future.

So yes, they may be cross about training you and having you up and leave.  But as long as you don't want to go back and don't want to ask them for a reference, it's your choice.

Edited by basil67