Are there any cons of work from home job besides being stuck at home?

Sunnydays1111

Seems like some ppl love working from home nowadays thanks to the pandemic. Do you still have to interact with co-workers? Or is it totally a solo type job?

In general its pretty solitary,

thats fine if your a bit of an oddball like me ,  but its not for everyone either,

from some of your other posts, you are a social type of girl Id guess, you would find it too boring being stuck at home every day,

better for you to have a few people around, office banter, potential guys of interest and all that.

I'm hearing more single people missing going into the office than coupled ones.  I imagine a lot of people find dates through their jobs and working from home might hinder that for them.

• Author
Sunnydays1111
34 minutes ago, Foxhall said:

In general its pretty solitary,

thats fine if your a bit of an oddball like me ,  but its not for everyone either,

from some of your other posts, you are a social type of girl Id guess, you would find it too boring being stuck at home every day,

better for you to have a few people around, office banter, potential guys of interest and all that.

eh not really. I'm actually introverted and a work from home job would be great. I absolutely hate having to force interactions with coworkers, hearing gossip, supervisors prying into my life, cliques at work. From what I read, going into the office is long gone. I just want to know how much interaction is it with coworkers if its work from home. And I could care less about finding dates at work at this point. I'll find dates somewhere else. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

I just want to know how much interaction is it with coworkers if its work from home.

You might have weekly online meetings over zoom or teams,

you may need to contact some colleagues if you are unsure about something,

if you can do your work well and apply yourself to the task from home, it can work out for you,

not sure though with the covid likely to be easing off this year (will I regret saying that) employers may revert to requiring some time spent in-office.

10 hours ago, Sunnydays1111 said:

I just want to know how much interaction is it with coworkers if its work from home. And I could care less about finding dates at work at this point. I'll find dates somewhere else. 

It completely depends on the job.  My husband works from home and is on conference calls with his colleagues all day long.  Other types of jobs may require less interaction.

• Like 3

It does depend on your job. Working from home doesn’t mean a person avoids people entirely or you don’t have to work well with your colleagues. Businesses still need to run and people/staff need guidance or there may be ongoing issues to resolve. 

If it’s a very technical position or a behind the scenes supporting role, that might require less interaction but you would still be responsible for the tasks that you’ve been assigned to. And that may mean working with others.

If given the opportunity to wfh, clarify with your employer what those expectations are. You may be asked to undergo training in the office when you start. 

I work from home and I'm an introvert. Nowadays, I'm interacting with colleagues throughout the day on our work slack channels, where we do a lot of planning and bouncing ideas off one another. I also have several scheduled zoom meetings throughout the week, and my job involves a decent number of zoom calls that I have to make outside the office too.

But I don't think it's that much zoom, comparatively. It's very far from all day, and it's possible to mute slack when I need to concentrate. Honestly, I quite like this setup. 

• Like 1

My job requires collaborating and communication with others, but I also have plenty of time working independently.  I've been doing it quite well for almost two years now.  Telephone calls, Zoom and Skype provide the necessary contact. 

I love the time and gasoline savings of no commute and not having the extra expense of buying lunch and breakfast.  As a woman, I also love not having to put on makeup, spend time styling my hair or putting together outfits.  The video meetings require a lot less physical prep time.  I also love being able to take a quick break and put on a load of laundry or load the dishwasher during the workday.  

The downside for me is that I've become less active and put on a few extra pounds.  Of course that's my fault, I just need to use the time I'm saving to do more hiking, golf etc.  

Edited by FMW
  • Like 3

I have to communicate with my colleagues and with outsiders but we do it by phone, no webcam. 

I love: working in my pj's, hair up and no makeup, no traffic, coffee is better home, I can start dinner early while I work or do loads of laundry between 2 calls. 

I don't like so much: I miss my colleagues, I don't feel as much on top of my game compare to when I'm at the office, I feel isolated (single), I tend to procrastinate a bit.

Eternal Sunshine

I hate working from home, find it depressing because I am in the same house all day. I actually enjoy dressing up and putting on make-up and going to work.

As for interaction, I am on zoom video calls about 3 hours per day on average. In between that, there are usually multiple chats going on with colleagues. However, it's still a lot different than interacting in person.

I actually thought that dating/meeting someone would be impossible with WFH set-up but where there is a will, there is a way. On my last job, I met someone through video calls. He (I guess) liked the way I looked in the Zoom meetings and would often call me or initiate chats. We became friends and he eventually confessed to liking me and flew in from another state to meet me in person. I wasn't really attracted to him once we met, so it didn't go anywhere. There are also cute co-workers in video meetings and possibility to chat/connect is open to you. So yea, that aspect hasn't really gone completely.

Naturally there are downsides to spending most of your time at home in front of the computer.

Do you have time to visit the office a few days a week?

Or, can you go to a local coffee shop or a nearby park and work there a few hours a day so that you're outside with other people and you can get some fresh air?

How about inviting a friend over for a work jam session?

Overworking oneself is also a possibility, and it sounds like you dislike interacting with people in general, which is why getting out of the house is important to balance it out.