*On an Island Alone During COVID*

I started a new position as an R.N on a med/surg floor at a local hospital in October. 

I knew it wasn't going to be my dream job but I had quit my last job abruptly and needed to start asap. There is a nursing shortage across the country so usually hospitals are begging nurses to come and work on their floor. But instead of my nurse manager doing that, when I interviewed, she warned me about the floor. She told me it's the most challenging floor in the hospital. High turn over. High pressure and a very busy pace. Float nurses walking out when they find out they're getting floated to the floor. It's well known throughout the hospital.  I came from a chaotic job and really needed a new one so, oh well, I'm in. 

After working the floor for some time now, I can attest to how difficult it is. I don't eat, I don't drink and I'll pee once in 8 hours. With this new surge of COVID we are now having to admit the overflow COVID patients from the ICU. I don't mind that though because I've worked COVID floors since the first wave and honestly? I feel like I want to do my part to contribute during the pandemic. It feels like something I need to do and am actually grateful to do. As nurses, we never thought we would have to work during a pandemic. How often do they happen? What were the chances we'd be alive and working as nurses during one? Well, I view it as my time to come forward and fight. A once in a lifetime chance to have an impact during such an awful time. 

So as you can imagine the acuity has sky rocketed and we're not staffed like they are in the ICU so I am runnningggg as Forrest Gump would say. 

But the issue I have is my floor is lacking team work. The nurses aren't that nice to deal with and the CNA's attitudes can barely fit in the building. It's lacking camaraderie and when things hit the fan, I'm alone. We're all alone.

I'll give an example. I got a patient right from ED. Acute respiratory failure due to COVID. I walk in the room and this poor man is slumped down in the bed, hunched over, his skin is grey and he is audibly gurgling. He was lethargic and non-verbal. I knew I needed to get him repositioned because his airway and breathing were compromised because of his positioning. I was all gowned up, full PPE. I tried to call in to the front desk using the button on the wall to call for help. No one came. I doffed by PPE and ran down the hallway. The man was a very big guy and too big for me to move myself. I came across two CNAs and told them this man was about to code and I needed them. They refused to go in the room because he was COVID pos. I ran back in the room and a nurse came, she stood outside of the room and I saw the look on her face when she saw him. She said "Oh he doesn't look good, Dis. But I'm passing meds and can't help right now." Then I looked at the monitor and he was desating and his heart rate was 220. I called a rapid response from the room and tried with every ounce of strength I had to pull him up because if I didn't reposition him it didn't matter how much O2 I put him on or how many times I suctioned. During the struggle to lift him my N95 came off and my gown slipped down. Pretty sure I'll test pos in a couple days. Finally the doctors and a CNA came. We got him boosted up and repositioned. I suctioned him, jacked up his high flow O2 and pushed an IV cardiac medication to slow his heart rate. I called respiratory therapy to come up STAT to give a nebulizer. He stabilized after that but I could NOT believe my coworkers reaction or lack there of. I can work a COVID floor but I can't do it without being a part of a team. 

I'm dying to get off this floor but I don't know if I can internally transfer at this point. I think I might have to wait another 4 months. I want to transfer to the ED and am praying I can soon. I dread coming into work every day knowing I'm going to have to work with people like this. I miss my being a part of a team :( 

15 hours ago, Dis said:

After working the floor for some time now, I can attest to how difficult it is. I don't eat, I don't drink and I'll pee once in 8 hours.

Hi Dis, I'm sorry to hear this, wow.  

I know you're in the US and by law here, you are legally entitled to one 10 minute break and one 30 minute meal break every 6 hours. 

So what you are experiencing^^ doesn't seem right unless the law is different for hospital, emergency and medical personnel, not sure. 

Other than that, perhaps you can carry on for the next 4 months knowing that you are doing a tremendous thing and that good things will come back at you in return.  

Karma, if you will.  I believe in that.

In the meantine, hang in! 

And hugs!  💛

• Like 1
  • Author
44 minutes ago, poppyfields said:

Hi Dis, I'm sorry to hear this, wow.  

I know you're in the US and by law here, you are legally entitled to one 10 minute break and one 30 minute meal break every 6 hours. 

So what you are experiencing^^ doesn't seem right unless the law is different for hospital, emergency and medical personnel, not sure. 

Other than that, perhaps you can carry on for the next 4 months knowing that you are doing a tremendous thing and that good things will come back at you in return.  

Karma, if you will.  I believe in that.

In the meantine, hang in! 

And hugs!  💛

Thanks so much poppy ❤️  I know you're right :) 

I actually don't mind the pace, it makes the day fly by

All of us nurses are lectured by the nurse manager about how we're not taking our breaks. We laugh about it because it's literally not safe to take a break. If my patient goes into Vtach or if a patient needs to be suctioned and I'm off the floor taking a break, the consequences could be very serious. I have to stay on the floor. 

It's the lack of teamwork and my coworkers attitudes that bother me

16 hours ago, Dis said:

I suctioned him, jacked up his high flow O2 and pushed an IV cardiac medication to slow his heart rate. I called respiratory therapy to come up STAT to give a nebulizer. He stabilized after that but I could NOT believe my coworkers reaction or lack there of. I can work a COVID floor but I can't do it without being a part of a team. 

I've felt this way on jobs before - yet, I have to believe that you are not actually the single employee on such a busy floor that cares enough about human life to take action when a patient is literally dying.    I mean ... they managed to keep patients alive up there before you came onboard, even if the nurses are "not that nice" and the CNA's are losers, haven't they?

Seriously, is there no supervisor on this floor?  Nurses can refuse to enter a patient's room because they are COVID positive?  That's a new one.  

Anyway, probably you are not really on an island, alone.  Find whoever else there is in that anarchistic hospital ward who cares if people live or die and see if you can forge alliances with them.  If you're looking for teamwork, thinking of yourself as a lone heroine and negatively judging coworkers on their personality traits is not really helping to promote that.

• Like 7
  • Author
8 minutes ago, NuevoYorko said:

I've felt this way on jobs before - yet, I have to believe that you are not actually the single employee on such a busy floor that cares enough about human life to take action when a patient is literally dying.    I mean ... they managed to keep patients alive up there before you came onboard, even if the nurses are "not that nice" and the CNA's are losers, haven't they?

Seriously, is there no supervisor on this floor?  Nurses can refuse to enter a patient's room because they are COVID positive?  That's a new one.  

Anyway, probably you are not really on an island, alone.  Find whoever else there is in that anarchistic hospital ward who cares if people live or die and see if you can forge alliances with them.  If you're looking for teamwork, thinking of yourself as a lone heroine and negatively judging coworkers on their personality traits is not really helping to promote that.

I'm actually really nice to people and go out of my way to ask everyone how they are and if they need anything. But the issue is, I'm the only one that does that. I can do my part, but if I'm the only one doing so, is there really a team at all? 

And yes CNAs and nurses refuse to enter precautions rooms all the time. They refuse to take patients for whatever reason they can come up with. Happens all the time. 

And that's why I was so shocked. This man was about to code and there was no help. I never thought something like that could happen. 

• Author
33 minutes ago, NuevoYorko said:

.    I mean ... they managed to keep patients alive up there before you came onboard, even if the nurses are "not that nice" and the CNA's are losers, haven't they?

Nurses can refuse to enter a patient's room because they are COVID positive?  That's a new one.  

If you're looking for teamwork, thinking of yourself as a lone heroine and negatively judging coworkers on their personality traits is not really helping to promote that.

Also, way to put a negative spin on and blame shift when I've done nothing wrong

Truly a low approach to take considering all things. 

Leave it to LS clan who will find anything in my posts as an opportunity to say something negative about me

Mods you can shut down this thread. I am stressed beyond belief. 

Edited by Dis

OP, you have a VERY demanding job.

While I may not agree with certain things, thank you for your hard work.

• Like 1
  • Author
Just now, Alpaca said:

OP, you have a VERY demanding job.

While I may not agree with certain things, thank you for your hard work.

And there's a poster with a heart ❤️ 

Thank you and you're welcome 

• Thanks 1
  • Author
33 minutes ago, NuevoYorko said:

I mean ... they managed to keep patients alive up there before you came onboard, even if the nurses are "not that nice" and the CNA's are losers, haven't they?

If you're looking for teamwork, thinking of yourself as a lone heroine and negatively judging coworkers on their personality traits is not really helping to promote that.

I am so stressed that actually made me cry 

Can't believe someone would say that to a frontline worker who is breaking even without hearing such a harsh judgment from someone who doesn't even know them