Blocked Feature

Is there a way if someone is blocked to not see their username or likes at all in the activity feed and/or threads?

Edited by Alpaca

Check the ignored users feature. It only hides posts, messaging, mentions and signatures.

You may have to just mentally ignore those things or report posts that disturb you.

• Thanks 1

Good question.  At present, it comes up with their name and a message that I've chosen to unfollow them.   Kind of defeats the purpose because then my curiosity is piqued and I get FOMO.  

If there is no solution, I wonder if the mods could consider addressing it.

• Thanks 1
Happy Lemming
3 minutes ago, basil67 said:

Kind of defeats the purpose because then my curiosity is piqued and I get FOMO.  

I like the feature (as it is). It gives me the power and a choice... I am in control and if I really don't want to read an ignored person's post, I don't click on it.

If I'm in the mood to make the attempt to see their train of thought, I'll read it. If after reading the first post, I notice they are going "off the rails" then I know not to click any more of their posts in that thread.  If the post appears to be following a logic trail that interests me, then I'll (click and) read the rest in that thread.

I guess I don't get FOMO... there are a few posters that I just don't care to read and know it will be a complete waste of my time. So I'm happy to "miss out" on whatever they had to say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks.

I suppose I should have been more specific.

I was referring to content in general.

I ask because some threads seem to veer completely off course with recounts of personal experiences or discussions in which members respond solely to themselves excessively.

It makes following and responding to the thread difficult at times, and I believe it detracts from the thread starter's desire for advice.

I wasn't sure if this was a violation of the terms of service or how to respond in the best way.

Edited by Alpaca
  • Like 4
Happy Lemming
14 minutes ago, Alpaca said:

...with recounts of personal experiences

I think recounting personal experiences has value to the original poster.  The situation (you have been in) may be similar enough to help the OP predict the outcome.

Or your situation may provide "food for thought"...  Although I didn't have "ABC" happen (to me) I did go through "DEF" and the outcome was "XYZ"  where the two instances are similar enough for the OP to take pause and consider his/her next action.

Personally, I enjoy reading other people experiences as I attempt to draw from them.  I imagine one can begin to read a post and if they don't like it, stop reading it and go onto the next post.  I don't really see a problem discussing some of the possible different paths a situation or issue could go.  If "X" happens could "Y" happen...   If I do "A" what is the outcome if my partner does "B"??  What if she does "C"?? And she does do "C", do I do "D" or "E" and have any other posters done "D" or "E". 

I understand people are different, but I think given a specific set of circumstance most people will respond in the same way.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Alpaca said:

I ask because some threads seem to veer completely off course with recounts of personal experiences or discussions in which members respond solely to themselves excessively.

Those that respond to each other and talk about the OP rather than to the OP and do so regularly are the ones to you can apply the ignore feature to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Happy Lemming
4 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Those that respond to each other and talk about the OP rather than to the OP and do so regularly are the ones to you can apply the ignore feature to. 

I'd like to add that the "show this post" feature allows you to read a particular post (from an ignored user) if it appears that poster is responding to the original poster.

And if they go off on a tangent, leave their next post be and continue on.

It appears this aspect of the software was well thought out.

I won't go off on a tangent about the emoji selection, but will say I liked the previous software's "like" system better.  See I went off on a tangent, and you read it... (LOL)

Just now, Happy Lemming said:

I'd like to add that the "show this post" feature allows you to read a particular post (from an ignored user) if it appears that poster is responding to the original poster.And if they go off on a tangent, leave their next post be and continue on.

Exactly, you have the 'read this post" option but there won't be all the clutter of posts talking about the OP amongst themselves.

• Like 1
  • Author
47 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

I think recounting personal experiences has value to the original poster.  The situation (you have been in) may be similar enough to help the OP predict the outcome.

Or your situation may provide "food for thought"...  Although I didn't have "ABC" happen (to me) I did go through "DEF" and the outcome was "XYZ"  where the two instances are similar enough for the OP to take pause and consider his/her next action.

Personally, I enjoy reading other people experiences as I attempt to draw from them.  I imagine one can begin to read a post and if they don't like it, stop reading it and go onto the next post.  I don't really see a problem discussing some of the possible different paths a situation or issue could go.  If "X" happens could "Y" happen...   If I do "A" what is the outcome if my partner does "B"??  What if she does "C"?? And she does do "C", do I do "D" or "E" and have any other posters done "D" or "E". 

I understand people are different, but I think given a specific set of circumstance most people will respond in the same way.

Thanks.

I agree with you in part.

A post's own beliefs and experiences can provide valuable advice, and it is part of the "advice giving" process for the original poster.

I was just finding that the issue arises when the replies dominate and hoard the exchange of information, leading to monopolistic or biased advice, where the advice itself seems to follow an individual agenda with regards to the discussion itself making the story about the user replying rather than the thread starter.

Again, this can make following the thread and responding to it difficult.

7 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Thanks.

There are some of us (including myself) who do this occasionally, but I also find that it can sometimes become excessive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, Alpaca said:

Thanks.

I suppose I should have been more specific.

I was referring to content in general.

It makes following and responding to the thread difficult at times, and I believe it detracts from the thread starter's desire for advice.

I wasn't sure if this was a violation of the terms of service or how to respond in the best way.

Report this when it happens and we will look into it. Generally it is not acceptable to take a thread off-topic in the way you are describing.

• Thanks 1