Choosing a wedding dress

balletomane

I'm getting married in August. Hopefully we'll be having an intimate church ceremony for just close family and friends, followed by a bigger party in the evening. I'm having a hard time deciding what kind of dress I want to wear. As there's a six month lead time on dresses, I need to order one soon if I'm having it made to measure. But there are so many options out there I feel frozen by the choice. I've narrowed it down to these options:

Simple and elegant. The sample felt amazing and fit like a dream, but is it too ordinary and understated for a wedding?

Beautiful beadwork. I love the designer's nod to Edwardian fashion.

Distinctive and slightly boho. This is the most daring of my choices. Part of me would love to go for it just because it's so different from my usual style, which is closer to the first two dresses. I love the bodice and the way it contrasts with the simple skirt. But I don't normally show that much skin and I don't want to end up feeling self-conscious in church.

I'd love any thoughts about these three, and your best tips on how to squash indecisiveness when shopping!

• Like 1

Pretty dresses! I like the third one. 

You'll really have to go with your body type and see what accentuates your body. I tend towards sheath dresses instead of ones with puffiness or layers. Simple, elegant and understated but well-made is more my style. 

Do you plan to change after the ceremony or stay in the same dress for the party? You could pick two dresses - one for the earlier part of the day and another one that's more flowing so you can dance and have fun later.

• Like 2

Congratulations!

All of them are pretty, but I love the second one. It also looks a little boho to me. Have you had a chance to try on any dresses? One of them might jump out at you as "the one" when you try it on! Best of luck!

• Like 2

Yes, congrats!

I love the first one. But, I'm not sure for an intimate church wedding.

They're all really pretty.

Choose the dress that makes you feel the most beautiful.

Best wishes to you.

• Like 1

I love the 2nd one most, but it's whatever makes you feel happiest/prettiest/most comfortable. My advice is to move your arms around a lot when trying them on, because you will be doing a lot of hugging that night. If your party will involve dancing, dance around a little too and see if it feels good. Anything that bothers you in the short period while you try it on will be unsatisfactory for a full length wedding.

• Like 4

Hey, congrats!! :)

I like the looks of #3 best. I don't think it shows too much skin, especially because if you wear a long veil, it'll cover your shoulders and back to an extent. But you know your church best, so if you really think it's too risque, you can also get them to add an opaque panel to the back if you want (but I would say don't!).

Are you going to be able to try it on before you buy? I know stores don't always have your size, but they should be able to let you try a size that's close to yours with some creative pin usage. I know that when I went looking for mine, most of the dresses that I liked from online catalogues were crossed out really quick when I actually tried them on, because they looked different on the model.

Also, like @lana-banana says, try moving in it... and also, IMO, try sitting in it! Because you will be spending a lot of your reception sitting down, and you will want to be able to do that after standing all day, trust me! ;)

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 4
  • Author

I tried them all on again today and I ended up picking the second dress. The first was really comfortable and a flattering fit, but felt too plain. The third looked gorgeous, but I did feel somewhat self-conscious in it. My mum and sister were urging me to get it but I went with my own instinct in the end. The beadwork on the second one is even more beautiful in person and I think it strikes the right balance between special and practical.

Thanks for walking me through my indecision!

Edited by balletomane
  • Like 5
10 minutes ago, balletomane said:

I tried them all on again today and I ended up picking the second dress. The first was really comfortable and a flattering fit, but felt too plain. The third looked gorgeous, but I did feel somewhat self-conscious in it. My mum and sister were urging me to get it but I went with my own instinct in the end. The beadwork on the second one is even more beautiful in person and I think it strikes the right balance between special and practical.

Thanks for walking me through my indecision!

As long as you feel comfortable and beautiful in it and you feel it's right for you that's all that matters. I am so glad you went with something that you love. I'm excited for you.