Exercise Motivation

How do you stay motivated to exercise during the winter months?

Going to the gym has its challenges because it’s hard to work-out while wearing a mask.

So, for those who exercise often (or not) but have fallen into a rut on occasion, how did you re-establish your exercise motivation/routine?

Edited by Alpaca
Happy Lemming

There are various nature trails in my area, so "V" and I try different ones from time to time.  We have one that we like, but we'll switch it up when we start to feel bored with that trail.

Are there any trails, or various trail heads for those trails in your area??

As far as motivation, all I do is step on the scale.  I still haven't lost all of my Covid-19 weight gain...

• Thanks 1

Are you into any sports? I do boxing, and if I spar after not training regularly I am completely useless and stand to get hurt. So the motivation to get fit is to perform well at the sport when I am participating in it (for instance I did a lot of sprints in my free time when I used to play soccer so I could perform better when I had a game). Also watching the sport live - I watched some friends fight the other day and I immediately resolved to train harder as I was jealous of the condition they were in - I am at their level but got lazy, but watching them do it made me really eager to get my head down and super fit again. 

To be honest for me the best motivation is my mental wellbeing. I know if I workout I will feel more positive and like I have achieved a goal for the day. Especially during lockdown it was essential to me staying sane to workout every morning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
ClearEyes-FullHeart

There are amazing fitness apps that offer classes that are as good as a gym. I love working out at home now and never returned to the gym despite having been a gym persons for decades. I just can’t get into the masking, etc. I ended up getting a bike that offers classes on and off the bike. 

I suggest exploring different apps and seeing if you can find some classes you like. I do on demand ones. For instance if you like TRX, they have great classes and you can get a home TRX. The cost is not too much and it doesn’t require much space.
Beyond that, agree with Happy Lemming about hiking, nature walks, running or hiking outside. Fresh air and sunshine is so beneficial.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1
ClearEyes-FullHeart

I realize I didn’t answer the motivation question. For me, working out makes me feel so good and that’s my motivation. I workout every morning after my dog walk and it’s just part of my day, everyday (unless I’m sick,)

With the apps, I have recently been signing up for 60-day, 30-day and 14-day programs. These provide continuity and series of classes that flow together, designed to hit all body parts etc. The apps offer features like tracking “streaks” and other stuff which is motivating. Also they track history and seeing the breakdown of the number of classes, hours, etc. is sort of addicting.

• Thanks 1
  • Author

Yes, we do have trails around here (which I like to go on) but the weather has been too rainy and soggy. 😩

I prefer being outdoors exercising vs the gym but sometimes I alternate just to mix it up.

We also have this really beautiful park near me that I love going to. Of course, it's nicer during the warmer months.

Oh, I haven't stepped on a scale in the longest time. I put that puppy away! I'm usually consistent with exercising several times per week. It makes me feel really good too and it's usually something I really look forward to.

It's just this hump that I have to push through.

It's only been two weeks since but I just don't want it to turn into another week, then another, etc.

• Author
1 hour ago, ClearEyes-FullHeart said:

I suggest exploring different apps and seeing if you can find some classes you like. I do on demand ones. For instance if you like TRX, they have great classes and you can get a home TRX. The cost is not too much and it doesn’t require much space.

I do like/enjoy doing TRX.  The instructor at my gym though gets a bit crazy with it though. I'm like "slow down, man." 

But, that's certainly an idea (i.e. home TRX).

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
58 minutes ago, Alpaca said:

Yes, we do have trails around here (which I like to go on) but the weather has been too rainy and soggy. 😩

I need to be reminded that not everyone lives in the desert.  I forget that (in some areas) it does rain on a regular basis. (LOL)

• Like 1
  • Author
1 minute ago, Happy Lemming said:

I need to be reminded that not everyone lives in the desert.  I forget that (in some areas) it does rain on a regular basis. (LOL)

Oh yes, you guys have monsoon season. ⛈️

Then beautiful weather the rest of the year! (less the scorching heat)

I find that the most important thing for me is that the exercise has to be fun. I'd rather take a slightly less "efficient" exercise that's fun over an efficient one that isn't, because I'm 10x more likely to actually do the former.

That's a bit harder indoors, admittedly. Do you have a Nintendo Switch? There's a really popular exercise game on that, called Ring Fit Adventure. Like a video game, except instead of pressing buttons, you do exercises to make stuff happen, and you run to make your character run. It's pretty awesome! I don't play it much when the weather outdoors is good, but if I'm stuck indoors, that's always my fallback. It's not the "best" exercise but IMO it's the most fun indoor exercise there is.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
4 minutes ago, Alpaca said:

Oh yes, you guys have monsoon season. ⛈️

Then beautiful weather the rest of the year! (less the scorching heat)

Very True!!  This year's monsoon was quite active and we got a good bit of rain, but it usually rains in the afternoon around 5:00pm every day.  The mornings are dry and a little cooler, perfect for a trail or a bicycle ride.

As for the heat, it takes about 2 summers to adjust to the "scorching heat".  Apparently the human body adapts, the blood thins, etc.  It did take me about 2 summers to acclimate and now I LOVE THE HEAT!!

• Author
6 minutes ago, Elswyth said:

I find that the most important thing for me is that the exercise has to be fun. I'd rather take a slightly less "efficient" exercise that's fun over an efficient one that isn't, because I'm 10x more likely to actually do the former.

That's a bit harder indoors, admittedly. Do you have a Nintendo Switch? There's a really popular exercise game on that, called Ring Fit Adventure. Like a video game, except instead of pressing buttons, you do exercises to make stuff happen, and you run to make your character run. It's pretty awesome! I don't play it much when the weather outdoors is good, but if I'm stuck indoors, that's always my fallback. It's not the "best" exercise but IMO it's the most fun indoor exercise there is.

You make a good point.

No, no Nintendo Switch. But it sounds neat!

I don't know, I'm trying to move away from being indoors. But I guess I have to just suck it up for the rainy/cooler months.

6 minutes ago, Happy Lemming said:

Very True!!  This year's monsoon was quite active and we got a good bit of rain, but it usually rains in the afternoon around 5:00pm every day.  The mornings are dry and a little cooler, perfect for a trail or a bicycle ride.

As for the heat, it takes about 2 summers to adjust to the "scorching heat".  Apparently the human body adapts, the blood thins, etc.  It did take me about 2 summers to acclimate and now I LOVE THE HEAT!!

Torrential downpours. But yes, it's lovely in the morning.

Summers not so much. I was visiting and we went away for the weekend and when we came back to the house the A.C. broke and all the water in the dog bowls and toilet evaporated. 

But it's beautiful there, you do have to love the heat though.

you could have a very simple yet useful gym at home with some dumbbells, elastic bands and a yoga mat. For cardio and avoiding indoors, you can always wrap yourself up in a coat and go for a little walk here and there. You mentioned you have a nice park nearby, try to add some photography hobby to make it more pleasant during the cold months.

• Thanks 1
  • Author
3 hours ago, Traveller said:

you could have a very simple yet useful gym at home with some dumbbells, elastic bands and a yoga mat. For cardio and avoiding indoors, you can always wrap yourself up in a coat and go for a little walk here and there. You mentioned you have a nice park nearby, try to add some photography hobby to make it more pleasant during the cold months.

Oh no.

I have stuff like that.

This was more about being motivated outdoors during the winter when it's cold and rainy. I'm indoors enough as it is.

But I like your photography idea though. 👍

Happy Lemming

@Alpaca... I do have a wind trainer for my bicycle for when it does get too cold outside (for me).  I purchased it second hand, it wasn't very expensive.

It sets up in minutes,  folds up and goes back into the closet when not in use.  I can stay warm inside and watch TV while I ride.  Then when it gets warm, outside... the bicycle and I are back out on the road.

• Thanks 1
  • Author
1 hour ago, Happy Lemming said:

@Alpaca... I do have a wind trainer for my bicycle for when it does get too cold outside (for me).  I purchased it second hand, it wasn't very expensive.

It sets up in minutes,  folds up and goes back into the closet when not in use.  I can stay warm inside and watch TV while I ride.  Then when it gets warm, outside... the bicycle and I are back out on the road.

That's nice HL.

It's good to be comfy and cozy while exercising sometimes.

I'd do it in my PJ's if I could. 

12 hours ago, Alpaca said:

That's nice HL.

It's good to be comfy and cozy while exercising sometimes.

I'd do it in my PJ's if I could. 

They call PJs "athleisure wear" now. 

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1
On 12/7/2021 at 10:41 PM, Alpaca said:

How do you stay motivated to exercise during the winter months?

Going to the gym has its challenges because it’s hard to work-out while wearing a mask.

So, for those who exercise often (or not) but have fallen into a rut on occasion, how did you re-establish your exercise motivation/routine?

I've been in a multi-year rut!  I dug out an old pair of jeans that used to be my favourite many years ago.  I wouldn't even attempt to try them on now, because I know they wouldn't go past my knees (they're size 8 UK which I think is a US size 4).  I don't think I'll ever get back into them, but my goal is to at least get them past my hips.  So I've got them sitting out, draped over a kitchen chair, to remind myself of what was and what could (almost) be again.  I've got a dog who requires daily walks, so I have no problem getting 15000 steps a day in, but that alone is doing nothing to shift the weight. 

What's really motivating me is that I'm now at an age where excess weight results in joint pain.  Over the past couple of weeks I've been sticking to a diet and exercise plan, and even just shifting a few pounds has reduced the pain noticeably.  That, I think, is motivation enough to keep at it.  You get to a point in life where it becomes less about how you look and more about how you feel...and I know that once I get within 10 pounds or so of my old fighting fit weight, I'll feel so much better.

• Like 2
  • Author
3 hours ago, Taramere said:

I've been in a multi-year rut!  I dug out an old pair of jeans that used to be my favourite many years ago.  I wouldn't even attempt to try them on now, because I know they wouldn't go past my knees (they're size 8 UK which I think is a US size 4).  I don't think I'll ever get back into them, but my goal is to at least get them past my hips.  So I've got them sitting out, draped over a kitchen chair, to remind myself of what was and what could (almost) be again.  I've got a dog who requires daily walks, so I have no problem getting 15000 steps a day in, but that alone is doing nothing to shift the weight. 

What's really motivating me is that I'm now at an age where excess weight results in joint pain.  Over the past couple of weeks I've been sticking to a diet and exercise plan, and even just shifting a few pounds has reduced the pain noticeably.  That, I think, is motivation enough to keep at it.  You get to a point in life where it becomes less about how you look and more about how you feel...and I know that once I get within 10 pounds or so of my old fighting fit weight, I'll feel so much better.

Thanks for this, Taramere!

Oh no, joint pain is no good. 

But I have a fix for the pants thing. "Stretchy pants." 

Well, I think I got over my hump. Hopefully, it was just one of those in a funk things and tomorrow is a new day. :classic_smile:

(and thank you everyone too for your help!)

Edited by Alpaca
  • Like 2
On 12/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, Alpaca said:

This was more about being motivated outdoors during the winter when it's cold and rainy. 

There are some days I won't want to go out but more often than not I have to go. I do a loop (about 15km) around the neighbourhood, nothing crazy. It's the cold on my skin and the adrenaline lacing up my shoes before going out I think that gets me going. It feels good to be outside too and I actually like the cold. I remember sensory experiences like numbness and cold and associate these things with euphoria and bliss. It reminds me of earlier days when I kayaked a lot year round and I wasn't equipped enough. I don't do that anymore, only occasionally in the summers, but it's that association with feeling ice cold that takes me back.

I'm not sure how this helps but glad that you're back and over that hump. Don't be too hard on yourself.

• Thanks 1
  • Author
3 hours ago, glows said:

There are some days I won't want to go out but more often than not I have to go. I do a loop (about 15km) around the neighbourhood, nothing crazy. It's the cold on my skin and the adrenaline lacing up my shoes before going out I think that gets me going. It feels good to be outside too and I actually like the cold. I remember sensory experiences like numbness and cold and associate these things with euphoria and bliss. It reminds me of earlier days when I kayaked a lot year round and I wasn't equipped enough. I don't do that anymore, only occasionally in the summers, but it's that association with feeling ice cold that takes me back.

I'm not sure how this helps but glad that you're back and over that hump. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Indeed.

Kayaking on the open water must be relaxing, especially in the morning.

Well, it was freezing out yesterday (but no rain), so I just put on my compression top with extra insulation and bulked up with extra clothing, got on my sneakers, and hit the trails. The weather was beautiful: sunny, cool, and crisp. But not rainy. So that helped.

It's forecasted to rain again this weekend, so I'll just do a few of indoor exercise courses. 

I'm just relieved to be back in the saddle.

Thanks, the comments have been super helpful.

• Like 3