Having a very hard time accepting my health situation and feel I am falling with depression.

I am 41 years old and so far have been quite healthy in my life. I exercised, ran half marathons, managed a healthy weight and did exercises regularly. I am not living in my home country, so away from lifetime friends and family. I live with my boyfriend who I moved to this country 3 years ago to be with him. He is a few years younger. We have been trying to conceive for more than a year but it does not work out. We have even tried IUI once. In the winter months this year I wasnt feeling well so went to a doctor. A couple fo months later I found out i have Hashimoto. The doctor said it is manageable but chronic. I had difficult time adjusting to the fact that from one to another I need to take a pill everyday for the rest of my life. Last month, also out of the blue, I felt horrible back pain and went for an orthopedic. Turns out I have a pressured disc in the spine. The doctor said this was also chronic. It also meant that now suddenly I must give up all the things that formed my support net. Exercising and being active was my therapy. Now I cannot even do that anymore, and in less than 6 months I find myself at 41 years old, having to deal with multiple chronic illnesses and change my life. I am feeling really down. I am depressed and do not know how I will pull myself out from this. You might think it is ridiculous but this changed me to the core. In a matter of 6 months I turned from feeling a perfectly healthy human to someone who once opening their eyes in the morning must take 3 medicines for the rest of their life. I am having a really hard time and cannot cope with this change. I feel that my body is letting me down in every possible way, All my life I had thought that I was a perfectly healthy person. Now in a few months I must accept that I am not able to conceive. In addition to 3 chronic illnesses, even after managing a healthy life all my life. I dont know what to do. I find myself in pain and crying at home. I even wonder what other health problem is coming next. I cannot talk to anybody about it. I am a very private person and wouldnt bare to put this burden over somebody else. I find myself struggling alone and thinking what is the point of my life.

• Sad 1
25 minutes ago, jolie_bebe said:

. In the winter months this year I wasnt feeling well so went to a doctor. A couple fo months later I found out i have Hashimoto. The doctor said it is manageable but chronic. 

Sorry this is happening. Excellent you are taking care of yourself.

Make sure you talk to your physicians regularly. 

Ask for a referral to a physical therapist for the back problems. Stop damaging your body/discs with marathons.

Get on a good healthy eating plan. Start doing exercises and activities that are good for your overall strength and fitness. Take some yoga or taichi. Get massages.

Also ask for a referral to a qualified therapist to unpack and sort all this out.

While depression and infertility are known issues with thyroid disorders, they as well as the thyroid disorder itself are treatable.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is treatable. Taking a thyroid replacement pill is all you can do. What are the other two medications for?

Most of all see a therapist to talk to.

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1
  • Author
16 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Sorry this is happening. Excellent you are taking care of yourself.

Make sure you talk to your physicians regularly. 

Ask for a referral to a physical therapist for the back problems. Stop damaging your body/discs with marathons.

Get on a good healthy eating plan. Start doing exercises and activities that are good for your overall strength and fitness. Take some yoga or taichi. Get massages.

Also ask for a referral to a qualified therapist to unpack and sort all this out.

While depression and infertility are known issues with thyroid disorders, they as well as the thyroid disorder itself are treatable.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is treatable. Taking a thyroid replacement pill is all you can do. What are the other two medications for?

Most of all see a therapist to talk to.

Thank you. The other medication is due to my back pain , currently preventing me from moving sitting or walking normally. It is like having to learn all these again from scratch. It is very difficult to adjust. In addition to a permanent dry eye problem. I really feel like I turned from being a normal healthy person to suddenly an aged person. I am seeing a physical therapist but the first appointment is still in 2 weeks. I try to down play my feelings but these are big life changing things and they all come at the same time. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, jolie_bebe said:

Thank you. The other medication is due to my back pain , currently preventing me from moving sitting or walking normally. It is like having to learn all these again from scratch. It is very difficult to adjust. 

Yes a lot to handle and digest. Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder and dry eye can coexist with that. Make sure the pain meds for the back are short term as you transition to healing.  Disc issues are not static and you can do a lot to improve structures around the disc for greater mobility strength and support of the spine.

The body is dynamic with positive changes and adjustments as well as hope and faith in your body's ability to heal. Think about physiotherapy and unpacking all this with a therapist.

• Like 1
  • Author
2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Yes a lot to handle and digest. Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder and dry eye can coexist with that. Make sure the pain meds for the back are short term as you transition to healing.  Disc issues are not static and you can do a lot to improve structures around the disc for greater mobility strength and support of the spine.

The body is dynamic with positive changes and adjustments as well as hope and faith in your body's ability to heal. Think about physiotherapy and unpacking all this with a therapist.

Thank you very much. It is a heavy load. Your words are really helpful to me. 

• Thanks 1

Please don’t be discouraged! My mother has Hashimoto's and once she had her thyroid removed and started on medication, she was just fine. Good health is absolutely possible with chronic conditions, it just involves a lot of love, support, and care. I hope you have someone you can speak to about how you're feeling because grief and depression can impact chronic pain as well. Take care of yourself.

• Like 3

Same with the back injury - give it a little time, a little physio, and a few exercises and you will get back to the things you love. It may not be exactly the same, you may have to you be a little more cautious, but it’s certainly going to improve. Take care.

• Like 1