They will not show me their faces

So I have gone many times to this Chinese massage place, the kind where they

massage my whole body from toe to head. Not h-j.  These older ladies wear masks that cover

everything but the eyes. I asked  to show me their faces, even a few minutes (standing 6 feet away)

and they refuse. One said because of respect to her parents.

We are vaccinated. Is this strange? Or is COVID merely an excuse and there is another reason.

I am a good tipper and like them but I feel the need to see who is massaging me.

17 minutes ago, LuckyM said:

So I have gone many times to this Chinese massage place, the kind where they massage my whole body from toe to head.

Stop asking them to reveal themselves. Is the place legal? Are there appropriate licenses posted ?

I suppose there remains a certain stigma about the activity and the girls are not entirely comfortable or are thinking what would their families say,

I was visiting a few places like that a few years ago, 

I met a lovely girl from eastern europe,  the eastern europeans I imagine are quite open minded about it all. 

our first appointment she said to me "you are different to the others" - how says I-

"you are a gentleman,"

I remain very fond of her- we became and still are friends- though no funny business of course nowadays!

My experience is probably more the exception than the rule,

most of the practitioners prefer to keep it very transactional and colder probably, as seemingly in your own experience.

Possibly one or more of them were harassed by clients who "wanted more" or thought they could take this beyond the business relationship that it is. If that's the case, no doubt they have little interest in repeating that experience. Or possibly this is to avoid having clients e.g. recognize them in supermarkets and attempt to strike up conversations, etc. which they might find embarrassing, e.g. when they're with their families.

IF you think it's due to something shady such as human trafficking, that might be reason to contact authorities with concerns; beyond that, just let them be.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LuckyM said:

These older ladies wear masks that cover

everything but the eyes. I asked  to show me their faces, even a few minutes (standing 6 feet away)

and they refuse.

I know you said you feel the need to see who is massaging you, but does that really matter if their hands (and not their faces) are doing all the work? I wouldn't press the issue. It could be making them feel uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

Many of these businesses aren't legal or are operating illegally. Why do you care what she looks like unless you're hoping for friendship and romance? This is an interesting choice for romance considering some of the workers are also working illegally/illegal immigrants or forced into the sex trade. It's not about the stigma. It's about the reality of why a large number of them are working there. It's enough of a risk that they're putting themselves in healthwise. I don't think they need to bend any rules or policies for specific customer requests especially if those policies are protecting them in the time of covid or for privacy reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Author

This is a legal licensed place, officially. They live in a neighborhood far from mine. I like to look at faces, and most people do. so I can see  expressions, especially in this very personal service. You can't get more personal.  Are they smiling, grimacing, bored...? Massages are not merely physical, to me, I like to see reactions on their faces,----though it is so dark and I am face down mostly so I can't see much anyway. Maybe they feel not so pretty or attractive. Or this is a Chinese thing. I will return, anyway because they excel at what they do and they like me.

If  customers reveal their whole body, it is fair that they reveal a face. I have no intention of taking this further.  Fear of COVID is only part of the reason.  Perhaps they are suspicious, yes.

Edited by LuckyM
clarity
3 minutes ago, LuckyM said:

This is a legal licensed place, officially. 

it is so dark and I am face down mostly so I can't see much anyway.

If  customers reveal their whole body

If it's dark and you are not draped in a sheet/towel, it's not a legitimate place and you know this. 

Maybe they are under cover cops and you'll get arrested for soliciting prostitution, so you may want to reconsider patronizing this type of place.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LuckyM said:

This is a legal licensed place, officially. They live in a neighborhood far from mine. I like to look at faces, and most people do. so I can see  expressions, especially in this very personal service. You can't get more personal.  Are they smiling, grimacing, bored...? Massages are not merely physical, to me, I like to see reactions on their faces,----though it is so dark and I am face down mostly so I can't see much anyway. Maybe they feel not so pretty or attractive. Or this is a Chinese thing. I will return, anyway because they excel at what they do and they like me.

If  customers reveal their whole body, it is fair that they reveal a face. I have no intention of taking this further.  Fear of COVID is only part of the reason.  Perhaps they are suspicious, yes.

No, there is no rule that they have to show their face. You are paying for a massage service, nothing else. It’s actually kind of creepy that you’re expecting them to reveal more of themselves just because you’re receiving a full body massage. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LuckyM said:

Out of curiosity I texted my friend on this,

she did not enlighten me any further though really,

thinks it is all merely down to covid, and also expressed surprise that the client would not be wearing a mask,

no mask no massage these days,  with some practitioners at least.

• Like 1

I don't see why you should be revealing your whole body if this is not a happy ending-type massage place.  Surely there are places that don't need a massage that are rather private?

I can understand you wanting to see who is giving a massage but Covid is a good reason not to.  Giving a personal service, they are more at risk than other workers who can keep a distance.

They may not want to be identified, whether legal or not, as giving a massage service.

I notice at a local university in the UK, well before the pandemic started, that Chinese and Korean(?) students tended to wear face masks. I assumed this was the done thing in their own countries, either a cultural thing or something to do with air pollution overseas.

They obviously have their reasons and if you want to see their faces and they refuse, then don't push it, simply go elsewhere.

Edited by spiderowl
  • Like 1