Anyone think meetup events are awkward? I went to one just now, and literally just snucked out and left.

Sunnydays1111

43 minutes ago, ZA Dater said:

You are right I do not need meetup groups. 

That is not what he said. You misunderstood.
He said

44 minutes ago, ZA Dater said:

Most times if you start something it's going to be forced.  The point is to get comfortable in that setting through repeated exposures.

It's like anything else it's not going to be easy or rewarding right off the bat most times. 

If it were, you wouldn't have a need for a meetup group.

On 11/8/2021 at 6:25 PM, AngryGromit said:

I have to agree, often a new meetup is outside your comfort zone, your never going to grow personally if you don't take some chances. 

Yes this is true also in fairness,

It is an interesting debate, does one just do what suits themselves or will they instead ultimately benefit by pushing themselves outside their comfort zone,

I have probably also leaned towards the former over the years but maybe at times would think well I should have given something more of a chance,

I also admire my girlfriends outlook, when she landed to study in the UK 15 years ago, with nothing only a bag and her intelligence, she would never have thought that she would be still living on these parts years later,

but running away back to mexico wasnt an option, her family had saved up to put her on the plane she had to make a go of it,

that mentality too will benefit a person in the long term, toughens them.

1 hour ago, ZA Dater said:

No in both instances there were people there who clearly felt the need to be the leader and projected themselves as being better than everyone else and frankly that "Lord of Flies" social experiment is not my idea of fun and reading the OP post it would appear their experience was similar in this respect. 

I do not agree with the bold at all. If people are so amazing why are contrived things like meet up even running? Kindness costs nothing but is rarely happens, just this week I greeted someone in passing and she just turned her head away and walked off, would I have been so hard to simply say hello?

Yet we create these groups, for what? To create a contrived platform? Sure, if its a shared hobby then great but more than that and dating, its a total and complete waste of time in that respect. I have spent nearly 38 years with pretty much no social, life I have never had one, I never had many friends and I am not the poorer for it. 

My point is why try to force people together who cant fit together, that is what to me a lot of meet up is in my view. You may all like plants but it does not help if one likes growing weed and another like bonsai, crossing that sort of divide is the story line to many an unrealistic movie. 

I agree with what OP did by just leaving, I would have done the same thing.

Hey, it's about coming out of your comfort zone man. 

Also, just thought of this in hindsight, there is a trial and error where some Meetups may be right for you, others may not be...such in the case of the OP. Perhaps he can keep trying to find Meetups that he clicks with, yes?

I have to ask, thought that woman turned her head and walked away, the idea of Meetup is to eliminate that...because at Meetup events, people are there to socialize and you wouldn't have that going on because they are there for a reason. To make friends.

Some are just "Boston Area Social Club" for example (Name of city) social club" others are more activity specific. Perhaps the latter will help better with social activity and bonding. I've been with Meetup for many years.

The thing is though, I miss the early days of Meetup, there were very few, and the same people routinely came back. Now...Meetup groups saturate the market, with tons of people JOINING groups, but a very small percentage ever attend.

This weekend, I'm going on a hiking Meetup of 40 people....that's  a pretty good amount. Of course, it's nice weather and nice weather attracts people.