PSA: vaping and blood pressure

Hey folks. Just thought I would pass this along. One of my buddies went in for a physical a couple of weeks ago and had blood pressure that was off the charts high. So much so that the tech called the doc in immediately. They talked a lot about what might causing it and by the end of the exam his blood pressure was pretty close to normal. Anyhow, the doc wanted to put him on some meds to get it under control.

He told me about it later that day. We started talking diet and lifestyle. Etc... He eats pretty clean and works out regularly. But one thing he said is that he didn't tell the doc about vaping. I asked why and he said he vapes pure juice. No nicotine or anything. Just vape juice with some flavorings. Said it was just water basically. I said - well let's test that. 

He had one of those home automatic cuffs. So he busted it out and took his BP. Pretty normal. He look some puffs off of his vape and we retested. Like through the roof BP. The at home cuff initials errored out and the second time put him into the Type 2 range. It was like 180 over something. We tried it about an hour later and it was more normal.

I googled and found some other studies that said the same thing. Just the juice alone can spike your BP through the roof. 

• Like 1
  • Author
25 minutes ago, glows said:

Is he going to come clean with his doc? Or just stop/limit the vaping?

I told him to. But who knows.

But he did pitch his extensive collection of vaping stuff. He used to be a smoker and weened himself off of it through vaping and ramping down his nicotine. 

I'm not against it but can see the appeal. I've been told that it helps with weaning off nicotine. I've never smoked or vaped. Good to know though.

Vaping is marketed as a thing in itself and to get more customers it is marketed as a sort of substitute for smoking.

They all come with heavy duty warnings like cigarettes, alcohol and most other legal substances, but adults can buy it and use at their own peril

There's a ton of etiologies for high blood pressure and vaping is just one of those. Hopefully it's a wake-up call.

Usually patients are heavily counselled and educated on hypertension and smoking, drinking etc cession. Many can get free quitting smoking materials and aids.

Yep. Vaping is the new smoking and just as bad  despite their marketing and cutesy tutti-frutti flavors aimed at teens.

Edited by Wiseman2
On 11/1/2021 at 6:35 PM, Mrin said:

Just vape juice with some flavorings. Said it was just water basically. I said - well let's test that. 

I googled and found some other studies that said the same thing. Just the juice alone can spike your BP through the roof. 

There is little to no regulation for these products. quality control may be questionable, and if say for example if trace amounts Lead and Cyanide give the user a high, I wouldn't doubt some producers would add it and and claim it's all natural flavorings. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/14/business/international/chinas-e-cigarette-boom-lacks-oversight-for-safety-.html

While is article is from 2014, China is only recently starting to crack down on unsafe vaping products. 

Edited by AngryGromit