Is there interest here from this girl or should I leave this alone?

This hot girl walked up the stairs toward me and I was on my phone I looked up and she was looking right at me, our eyes met. I kinda got nervous and looked away. She quickly looked away nervous as well. I looked back like 3 seconds later and again she looked at me and then we both quickly looked away from each other. We were using the same machine for like 20 mins before that and she seem really nice. Was this just an awkward moment or was she checking me out?

Eye contact can convey anything at all from "you don't exist to me" to "I am noticing you" to "I'd like to see you naked."

She seemed to have given you a "double glance," which might indicate physical interest.

13 minutes ago, Lifeliver said:

Was this just an awkward moment or was she checking me out?

DividedTrail

Not a direct answer to your question but:

If I were giving the younger me advice, I would tell me to say hello and try to think of a follow up that is light and non threatening given the situation.

Like, hello and assuming she says high back. Going anywhere interesting/that is a great color on you/nice earrings/will you marry me. OK, maybe not the last one🙂 

I reread your post, after the hellos, could have said something like, those machines can be a pain sometimes huh?

Be interesting to see what the ladies would respond to. The point is, don’t be a creep but what do you have to lose?

ETA: Was just thinking, asking where’s she’s headed might put a woman on guard. Yeah, other than hello, don’t listen to me lol

Edited by DividedTrail

On top of @Alpaca's suggestions, I can think of another reason she may have been looking at you.

She was coming up the stairs and you were looking at your phone.   So it could be a matter of safety.   When I'm walking, I watch people who are on their phones because they tend to not be looking where they are going and I'm staying out of their way.   I would likely give a backward glance if they were particularly hyper-focused and therefore hazard to other pedestrians. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Lifeliver said:

We were using the same machine for like 20 mins before that and she seem really nice.

Was this at a gym? Women don't want men staring at them in gyms. Maybe she was creeped out?

• Like 1
  • Author

I was at the gym sitting on a bike on my phone near stairs that everyone walks up to get to the second level of the gym. This girl who I interacted with before about a machine like 25 mins before was coming up the stairs. I was looking down but I felt a presence like eyes watching me and they were getting closer up the stairs. I looked up and it was that same cute girl staring right at me. Our eyes met and I kinda got nervous and looked away. She got nervous and looked away quickly. Then about 3 seconds later our eyes met again and we again quickly looked away. She went to something on the same level then went downstairs to the treadmill and then walked out in like 5 mins later. What would you make of this?

Edited by Lifeliver
  • Author
34 minutes ago, Alpaca said:

This is a duplicate thread, no?

I'm sorry i just was trying to get more opinions on this interaction. Just trying to figure out how an outside person would perceive this. This never happens to me and I don't have alot of interaction with women  so I am like really confused. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, basil67 said:

On top of @Alpaca's suggestions, I can think of another reason she may have been looking at you.

She was coming up the stairs and you were looking at your phone.   So it could be a matter of safety.   When I'm walking, I watch people who are on their phones because they tend to not be looking where they are going and I'm staying out of their way.   I would likely give a backward glance if they were particularly hyper-focused and therefore hazard to other pedestrians. 

Sorry, I misread your first post.  You were on a bike and so wouldn't have been in the way.   I'll see myself out.

6 hours ago, Lifeliver said:

then walked out in like 5 mins later. What would you make of this?

She was creeped out by your staring so left the area.

Gyms are not singles clubs or dating apps. Keep your eyes on your workout routine.

If she tells the manager you make her uncomfortable, they could cancel your membership.

Get on some quality dating apps apps with a good profile and pics and start talking to and meeting women.

8 hours ago, Lifeliver said:

I was at the gym sitting on a bike on my phone near stairs that everyone walks up to get to the second level of the gym. This girl who I interacted with before about a machine like 25 mins before was coming up the stairs. I was looking down but I felt a presence like eyes watching me and they were getting closer up the stairs. I looked up and it was that same cute girl staring right at me. Our eyes met and I kinda got nervous and looked away. She got nervous and looked away quickly. Then about 3 seconds later our eyes met again and we again quickly looked away. She went to something on the same level then went downstairs to the treadmill and then walked out in like 5 mins later. What would you make of this?

It's quite obvious if a woman is interested or checking you out. If you didn't sense that she's avoiding you. Best to err on the side of caution and either smile and say a generic hello in future, be friendly/neutral as you would with anyone else in a store or other establishment, instead of looking on in silence several times each time you run into her. That can be misconstrued and appear very odd/creepy.

Smile is always a good little default position.

Yes, lots of us get trained to look away. No need to, but yes it takes concentration to NOT look away if your reflex is to panic and turn away.

Literally smile and maybe wave to the person--really you are only saying hello to them. So a smile is just an acknowledgment. It's not even a come-on. But once the smile is acknowledged you might feel comfortable engaging them. 

Just try to remind yourself to practice the next time this comes up. 

Easter Bunny

you won't know the answer because there was no action taken. in the future if your eyes meet with someone you need to react within a couple of seconds. a simple smile with "hello" or "hi, i'm (name here) what's your name?" is all it takes to find out what their intentions and feelings are. neither of these questions are inappropriate. so no reason to feel awkward about it. when interacting don't show any nervousness or you will look creepy. everything with confidence. if the conversation stops or it continues it tells you everything you need to know. 

when you stare or look at someone and do nothing it falls into the "creepy" category. even if there was a chance with hooking up with her, it isn't there anymore. you blew it. lol 

consider this a live and learn. 

dramafreezone

You don't have enough to know anything other than she glanced and then looked away.  I do get the sense that you want it to be more than that, so next time you see her introduce yourself and see what happens.

If you both were in the gym working out and you caught her looking at you, then that'd be totally different, I'd say odds are she found you attractive.  This was just a passing situation where she really didn't have a choice but to see you.

Edited by dramafreezone
On 10/6/2021 at 6:35 PM, Lifeliver said:

This hot girl walked up the stairs toward me and I was on my phone I looked up and she was looking right at me, our eyes met. I kinda got nervous and looked away. She quickly looked away nervous as well. I looked back like 3 seconds later and again she looked at me and then we both quickly looked away from each other. We were using the same machine for like 20 mins before that and she seem really nice. Was this just an awkward moment or was she checking me out?

Ignore such an ambiguous gesture, could have millions of meanings.

On 10/7/2021 at 12:59 AM, Lifeliver said:

What would you make of this?

chat to her- ask her how her training is going,

no need to be afraid of a woman, she will enjoy the diversion from the work out, bit of social interaction and so on,

worse case scenario - shes not receptive- well you will still feel better for trying,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So a few weeks back I was on a bike at the gym on my phone, near stairs where everyone walks. I looked up and this really cute girl was gazing at me coming up the stairs,  immediately she looked down and I quickly looked away due to awkwardness. I looked up again and she looked at me again and then quickly we both looked away. She seemed embarrassed maybe? She left the gym 5 mins later. I felt bad about the situation so I saw her again tonight. I walked up to her and apologize for the situation. She looked at me wide eye and very friendly look, kinda smiling. She said " no worries!, no worries!" I introduced myself then said my name and asked hers, she said her name then said " and what was your name again?" I said it and said nice to meet you walked away. Later I was on the bike again and she was walking up the stairs, this time she didn't immediately look at me but when she got closer, she looked at me again briefly and then went to a machine. I finished up my workout and left. At first I thought she was maybe uncomfortable with what happened last time so that's why I apologize, but she seems really receptive and not bothered by what happened last time. Is there anything here or just my mind?

Try getting a good profile and pics on quality dating apps and start talking to and meeting women.

Staring at women in the gym or worse trying to pick up women at a gym isn't working. It's just creeping them out and that makes you feel shot down.