Therapeutic?

robaday

I've been torn about something but have come round to thinking I need to do it. I was living in a city in a different state for two years with an ex girlfriend and we had a horrific breakup. 

Truth is I loved that city. I had my own friends, it was more my vibe, better job prospects in my sector, I was really happy there but I have avoided applying for roles there simply because she is there. 

I have the opportunity of moving there for a dream job. And I've been really torn whether it would be traumatic being reminded of what was. But I also feel that I built a life there on my own prior to meeting her. And perhaps because I associate the place with a lot of pain maybe it would be good for me to go back and face it and create a positive life there again. 

Any others been in that position? Did it turn out well or just reminders of the past? 

I have no intention of ever reaching out to her and I am sure she feels the same. More I wonder if I am compromising my own career by not going for it just because of a relationship that went south quite some time ago. 

For a dream job? Why not? Your work and your life. Don't let the past hold you back from moving on and blazing new trails. It's useless to let that hang over you but an infinitely good idea not to contact her. 

• Like 1

Move to a different neighborhood there or town close by. No job is perfect anyway or a total dream. Can you avoid seeing the areas that disturb you?  You might wear dark sunglasses near the old sights so they block your vision.  I do this sometimes

Follow your own ambitions and dreams without dragging exes into the equation. Why have that type of noise running in the background?

• Like 1

I'm sure the city if big enough for the both of you without running into one another.  Just do you and move on with your life the way she has.  Don't make decisions based on her.

• Like 2
  • Author

Thanks for the comments. Yeah I think I will take it. Honestly I've always wanted to work for this company, it's what I've been working for the last seven years and will see my achieve my career dream (or close to it). I get no job is a dream job but since I was kid for some reason I wanted to work for these guys. 

I've stayed well away from her and our mutual friends. I did lose quite a few friends after we split but it was healthier for me that way. 

Am flying next week with some stuff and to look for a place. Bit of anxiety but also excitement thrown in. 

• Thanks 1