Alternative Career

What would be your ideal job or alternative career?

I am someone who pursued the wrong career,

what I would really like to do is be a radio show host,

debating topical issues and hearing peoples stories,

What about you? or maybe you are in your ideal job?

Happy Lemming

I was an accountant for over 30 years and very much enjoyed my career.  Of course, I had bad days at work like everyone else, but overall I liked what I did.

Quite some years ago, I do remember working for one small company where I was both the IT guy and the accountant.  I remember setting up "stand-alone" computers for each employee and writing batch files in DOS, as the company turned away from manual office work and became more computerized.  I very much enjoyed writing customized batch files for each employee in the company. 

So if I hadn't become an accountant, then maybe a software programmer of some type...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 12:37 PM, Foxhall said:

What would be your ideal job or alternative career?

My dream job? Pharmaceutical salesman. This way I can go around and tell people I'm a drug dealer, for the gag factor. Unfortunately I never go this opportunity, I have to suffer with a 8-4 job, working in Cyber Security with a 6 figure salary. The HORROR! 

• Like 1
  • Author
5 hours ago, AngryGromit said:

working in Cyber Security with a 6 figure salary.

cud be worse!🤨

• Author
On 10/16/2021 at 8:01 PM, Happy Lemming said:

Of course, I had bad days at work like everyone else, but overall I liked what I did.

I liked what you said on a different thread actually- (I remember everything whether that is good or bad dont know)

what you said previously-  if having more bad days than good in a job- then you look to move on-

or stay if having more good days than bad.

Happy Lemming
2 hours ago, Foxhall said:

I liked what you said on a different thread actually- (I remember everything whether that is good or bad dont know)

what you said previously-  if having more bad days than good in a job- then you look to move on-

or stay if having more good days than bad.

Yes...  I liked my last job very much.  I had very few bad days.  My boss/owner of the company treated me very well and was generous (especially when we landed a big project).

Unfortunately, he was killed in an automobile accident, so the company closed and I (early) retired.

And yes (overall) I very much enjoyed my accounting career.  I had one very bad job that I left after less than a month.  It started out pretty bad and got worse, so I left. 

There was another company that I worked at for 3 years, things started to go south and the owner turned into a tyrant, so I left that job, as well.

I also moved around a lot.  I enjoyed being nomadic in my youth, so a lot of jobs I left because I wanted to make a change and move on to another city or state.  I had a "headhunter" that always seemed to know when that "nomadic gene" in my DNA started screaming to make a move and she had the ability to find just the right job for me. 

For the most part, the action of leaving a job when you have more bad days than good, has served me well.

• Like 1

I've always wanted to be a wildlife conservationist in Africa or a crime scene investigator (something in forensics), but I know those are two incredibly difficult disciplines that I wouldn't be able to bear. I've volunteered in animal shelters, which was pretty difficult but rewarding.  

Ballet or gymnastics I've always loved too.

Right now I'm in school for a career in healthcare, which I'm almost half-way through.

Completely different from the 9-5 office environment it will be, I'm sure.

• Like 1

I like what I do, and I’m making a good living, but I’m not a radiologist. And I’ve always wanted to be a radiologist. Because $$$ 

• Like 1