I recently watched this documentary (Amazon Prime) about Rehtaeh Parsons and cannot stop thinking about it!  Took place in Canada, Nova Scotia, in 2013 does anyone remember the story?  

Her beautiful face, I mean really beautiful, intelligent, lovely girl, just so heartbreaking, sad and tragic. 

I am not sure if I remember it, something similar may have taken place in US, but anyway...

>>Rehtaeh Parsons, a 15 year old student from Nova Scotia, was raped by four schoolboys while drunk at a sleepover. A photo of her rape soon began circulating online. Through the eyes of her parents, this film re-examines these alarming events, which ultimately led to Rehtaeh's suicide. A shocking testament to police indifference, the stigma of sexual assault and the effects of cyber bullying.<<

The sexual assault was tragic of course but even more appalling and revolting was the aftermath which led to her suicide..  

The injustices by the police and Canadian criminal justice system AND all the cyberbulling (criminal harassment really), notably on Facebook which did NOTHING to halt it, against her parents and Rehtaeh herself, was just so so wrong on so many levels, it's absolutely sickening. 

The cruelty, the vile disgusting comments made by children, teens and adults, the sheer ignorance, what the hell is happening in a society that allows this?  It is not "free" speech, it's "hate" speech. 

It's one of the main reasons I don't have socials anymore, and why no more pics on socials or on line.  What was done to Rehtaeh's beautiful lovely image makes me literally sick to my stomach, among so many other travesties, this should not be happening.

Only saving grace here is she was an organ donor and saved five lives after her death. 

I hope she has finally found some peace.  💛

Edited by poppyfields
  • Sad 2

I was not familiar with that particular case,

but yes I also share your horror at some of the shocking cases of violence towards women that appear in the news almost every week,

there appears to be a furious rage burning in many men which unfortunately then comes to the surface in the shape of mind boggling violence towards either their partners or random women,

similar to your example there was also a case in my country in  recent years of horrific actions by young guys around 12/13 towards a girl of similar age,

so yes where are societies heading and what is fueling these feelings of rage.

I wonder are the dating difficulties felt by men culminating into something very sinister

I just finished watching this. It's heartbreaking...but I bet it is pretty common. Seems like this episode gained traction in the media because Anonymous took it on. And also her parents were very active and involved.

I have never liked Facebook much, but feel like I need it to stay in touch with a few people, and also there are a few groups I am a part of that use Facebook as the means to communicate. But after seeing what Facebook let stay up when her father complained....I might just send a message to the people I stay in contact with there, give them a different way to stay in touch, and deactivate or delete my account. They seem to have zero cares about corporate responsibility.

I think cell phones and social media have probably made bullying worse, but violence against women is nothing new.