Was the boss being rude by saying I'm too slow doing assignments even though I did a good job?

Awhile back my supervisor trained me in something new, after she checked my work for a few days, she told me I did a good job because I didn't make any mistakes. Later that day, I overheard her talk to the other night shift supervisor saying how well I did and that I didn't make any errors, well the other supervisor told her in a sarcastic tone, "That's great and all but she's slow and now its going to take her forever to do that assignment." Geez,  I was proud of myself for doing a good job/understanding the task and making NO errors, instead he's complaining about how slow I am? What would he prefer that I just plow through the work going too fast and making a ton of mistakes not understanding the assignment? And even if I did that, I would still hear complaints and/either or.

Is this a toxic work environment? 

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
language
8 hours ago, Katkats7777 said:

Awhile back my supervisor trained me in something new, after she checked my work for a few days, she told me I did a good job because I didn't make any mistakes. Later that day, I overheard her talk to the other night shift supervisor saying how well I did and that I didn't make any errors, well the other supervisor told her in a sarcastic tone, "That's great and all but she's slow and now its going to take her forever to do that assignment." Geez,  I was proud of myself for doing a good job/understanding the task and making NO errors, instead he's complaining about how slow I am? What would he prefer that I just plow through the work going too fast and making a ton of mistakes not understanding the assignment? And even if I did that, I would still hear complaints and/either or.

There's probably some element of toxicity.  Put a bunch of people together, and sooner or later some sort of toxicity will develop.  Probably the more important question is whether toxicity runs so rife within a workplace that the only way to cope is to incorporate some of that toxicity into your own thinking and behaviour.

How do the two supervisors generally get along with each other?

He was right though wasn't he?
You are going to be slow.
People doing new tasks tend to be slow and if that doesn't fit well into his  bit of the process then he is going to have absorb that. Maybe he didn't agree to you doing those assignments, maybe he had other plans for you or thought someone else should be doing those assignments...
You overheard, they were not talking to you,  what they said was management speak and really none of your business.
Accept you did well and now your job is to get it or other tasks done faster...

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, elaine567 said:

Accept you did well and now your job is to get it or other tasks done faster...

Agree.

As someone who supervises another in a new role that is similar, the fact that you are accurate and did a good job is wonderful. I would expect you to be slow, because this is new for you. But ultimately, both things are important. It matters less over time whether you are accurate/do a good job if you work slowly. You must learn to do a good job and work at a good pace. So, I think the take home message here is that you are doing well to have complete the task accurately - your work was recognized as being done well. You also know what you need to improve - your ability to get the job done a little faster. Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Katkats7777 said:

It was unprofessional to blather on about a subordinate's work in earshot of others. The word toxic is thrown around too often at the slightest offensive detail. In the context of work I agree with the two previous comments above. Treat this as an opportunity to do better next time. A supportive work environment with management that understands or motivates growth doesn't think or speak so unprofessionally like this. Everyone knows there's a learning curve and the worst thing managers can do is stunt that learning curve and lowering motivation of an employee to do better without being supportive. I'm sorry you had to hear such nonsense on the fly like that. 

• Like 2

This is not a toxic work environment. But I agree that conversation should not have taken place where you or presumably other employees could overhear. 

Having been a supervisor at various times, I can tell you discussions between supervisors/management about an employees performance is usually very candid. 

Their job is to understand the tasks that need to be done, the timelines, and what personnel should be assigned. Your job is to learn as much as you can and be as efficient as possible. Of course when learning some thing new, I would prefer accuracy over speed. But your profession/job may dictate otherwise. 

You can choose to take this situation and let if demotivate you or you can use it as inspiration to prove the other supervisor wrong and be better at your job. Now if you feel it is not a great environment for you over time, that is your cue to look for a job elsewhere where you will be more happy and appreciated. I’m not suggesting you suffer abuse, but it sounds like you need to develop a little thicker skin. You will have some bosses you love and some you will despise. 

Show up on time, treat every job and every task you learn as something you can build on and apply to the next place of the employment. Even if only to build a strong work ethic. That is always noticed and appreciated by the better supervisors.   

Edited by DividedTrail
  • Author
On 10/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, DividedTrail said:

This is not a toxic work environment. But I agree that conversation should not have taken place where you or presumably other employees could overhear. 

Having been a supervisor at various times, I can tell you discussions between supervisors/management about an employees performance is usually very candid. 

Their job is to understand the tasks that need to be done, the timelines, and what personnel should be assigned. Your job is to learn as much as you can and be as efficient as possible. Of course when learning some thing new, I would prefer accuracy over speed. But your profession/job may dictate otherwise. 

You can choose to take this situation and let if demotivate you or you can use it as inspiration to prove the other supervisor wrong and be better at your job. Now if you feel it is not a great environment for you over time, that is your cue to look for a job elsewhere where you will be more happy and appreciated. I’m not suggesting you suffer abuse, but it sounds like you need to develop a little thicker skin. You will have some bosses you love and some you will despise. 

Show up on time, treat every job and every task you learn as something you can build on and apply to the next place of the employment. Even if only to build a strong work ethic. That is always noticed and appreciated by the better supervisors.   

Its just de motivation all the way. I "may" not be as fast as my other co workers, but at least I'm making the minimum rate which is the requirement to still be employed. Its like I'm not good enough for them. If that's the case, why not fire me then? Geez. And I wonder why there is such a high turnover in the dept. Plus my supervisor looks miserable all the time, morale is low, nothing she inspires/motivates me. Its almost like they are just using me as a warm body to push the work out even though I'm not a fast employee. 

Edited by Katkats7777
On 10/16/2021 at 9:44 PM, Katkats7777 said:

Its just de motivation all the way. I "may" not be as fast as my other co workers, but at least I'm making the minimum rate which is the requirement to still be employed. Its like I'm not good enough for them. If that's the case, why not fire me then? Geez. And I wonder why there is such a high turnover in the dept. Plus my supervisor looks miserable all the time, morale is low, nothing she inspires/motivates me. Its almost like they are just using me as a warm body to push the work out even though I'm not a fast employee. 

Might be a time to look for another job. Sounds like not a good environment to be in, especially if you are too sensitive and take everything that is said about you to the heart.

• Like 1
On 10/16/2021 at 11:44 PM, Katkats7777 said:

Its just de motivation all the way. I "may" not be as fast as my other co workers, but at least I'm making the minimum rate which is the requirement to still be employed. Its like I'm not good enough for them. If that's the case, why not fire me then? Geez.

Most companies are not looking for the "minimum" but the "maximum" amount of work you can do with no errors.  Why they haven't fired you yet is because not many people are out there to employ.  That is going to change so I would suggest you update your resume.

• Like 1
lonelyplanetmoon

Let’s be clear.  It was the other supervisor who made that comment.  Not your supervisor, the one who trained you, correct?

Training is about setting expectations.  Your trainer set an expectation for no errors and you met them, correct?  She praised you for doing a good job and doing correctly.

Did your trainer ever tell you how fast you needed to complete this task?  If not then she may not care about speed now.  
So until you get the direction to do it faster you should believe that you are doing a good job.

speed comes with repetition and confidence these two things you can only build with time.

And as for toxic workplace, a workplace is only as toxic as you make it out to be,  if you are positive and focus on seeing positive / being positive then things won’t bother you so much aka less toxic.

• Author
On 10/18/2021 at 9:43 PM, lonelyplanetmoon said:

Let’s be clear.  It was the other supervisor who made that comment.  Not your supervisor, the one who trained you, correct?

Training is about setting expectations.  Your trainer set an expectation for no errors and you met them, correct?  She praised you for doing a good job and doing correctly.

Did your trainer ever tell you how fast you needed to complete this task?  If not then she may not care about speed now.  
So until you get the direction to do it faster you should believe that you are doing a good job.

speed comes with repetition and confidence these two things you can only build with time.

And as for toxic workplace, a workplace is only as toxic as you make it out to be,  if you are positive and focus on seeing positive / being positive then things won’t bother you so much aka less toxic.

No, my supervisor never once came to be on how to improve or try to speed up. If she was a good boss she would at least approach/coach me on what I can do better. Its pretty stupid for ME to come to HER. Wouldn't she want me to succeed? Anyway,  even if she didn't approach at all, I know where I stand. She treats me like scum but in a passive aggressive way. Some examples: I was furlough for 2 and 1/2 months when covid first hit. About half of us were furloughed in a dept of 20, they kept the other half-they were still working. I was the LAST one to get called back to the office, meanwhile the others that were furloughed-came back in 3 weeks. Then, earlier this year, there were issues with the delivery truck being late/not delivery work for one week due to bad weather, I found out my boss called certain ppl to go in to work and once again she didn't bother to call me to go in. Also, when I was trained in that task, it wasn't until a year and a half that it took her to finally train me-even though my speed DID go up, she never bothered, nor did she mention anything to me. I probably wouldn't have gotten trained in that task if the other supervisor did ask why I wasn't trained in it yet, meanwhile she quickly trained the other new hires in that same task like in the 9 month range they were there. Its almost like she is holding me back and wanting me to fail. And this is all because I'm not fast enough like the others. I've been there for 2 1/2 years and I haven't gotten trained in the setting-up part, while everyone else is trained in it. I imagine I could learn it. Its not rocket science. 

• Like 1

Go to your supervisor and ask her if she can suggest ways to improve your speed.  She will appreciate your concern and you will have documentation that you did ask for help in that area.  Also tell her you want to be trained in the setting up part and find out her answer.  

• Like 2
  • Author
On 10/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, stillafool said:

Go to your supervisor and ask her if she can suggest ways to improve your speed.  She will appreciate your concern and you will have documentation that you did ask for help in that area.  Also tell her you want to be trained in the setting up part and find out her answer.  

Naa, what would be the point in talking to her? She always lies. And i get treated like a stepchild

2 hours ago, Katkats7777 said:

Do you think my supervisor will be envious if i were to find another job and give 2 weeks notice?

Envious? Nope. Don't think you are that important to her.

She might get mildly annoyed that you  are quitting and they would have to hire and train someone new. But life will go on as usual for her with or without you quitting. But since you say that the place that you work in has a high turnover, that's pretty much would be expected.

Edited by Alvi
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Katkats7777 said:

Naa, what would be the point in talking to her? She always lies. And i get treated like a stepchild

So you can document that you did ask for help and ask to be trained in the other area.  

Look, if you feel like you're working for a liar who treats you like a stepchild, stop complaining and find a new job.  There are tons of jobs available and you can have a new one by the end of next week.  So upgrade your resume and get moving.  

Edited by stillafool
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I said previously, I'm reading your posts from the perspective of someone that has managed people before.

I'm making some assumptions here so forgive me if they don't apply.

There seems to this growing idea that a company owes it's employees more than a safe work environment (differs with the profession), clear direction, obtainable goals and the salary/wages agreed upon. Good companies will make sure to keep in touch with each employee and provide additional training, positive reinforcement and accolades among other incentives.

At the end of the day, you need to do what is right for you and sometimes that means finding another job. The job world is not fair and never will be. You probably aren't going to change the culture or even how management is treating you (unless you can change your attitude or competency). So you need to learn to live with it or move on.

I don't mean this to be a slight on you OP but regarding the layoffs and who was brought back when, I can guarantee the company said we can bring back so many people at whatever time. I can also guarantee management made a list from top to bottom of who they will bring back in that order. The fact you were last means they do not view you very highly. Again, that is not a knock on you personally, I have been at the top and bottom of those lists at various times.

I doubt your boss will care if you decide to leave. You aren't going to 'win' or prove anything, so make the right choice for YOU.

It's like a romantic relationship, sometimes personalities and expectations between two people are just to far apart.

Last thing I would say is, and I don't know how you got along at other jobs, but strive to be the best employee you can. Be a team player and work to improve at any available opportunity, genuinely. I'm not suggesting be an ass kisser, but be dependable and easy to get along with. I've worked with many people that feel they are owed something, that they could manage better than the managers and just had a general view that the world is out to get them. As they say, the best revenge is success or maybe it's a good life lived.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Katkats7777 said:

Do you think my supervisor will be envious if i were to find another job and give 2 weeks notice?

Nope.  Not one bit.

• Author
9 hours ago, Alvi said:

Envious? Nope. Don't think you are that important to her.

She might get mildly annoyed that you  are quitting and they would have to hire and train someone new. But life will go on as usual for her with or without you quitting. But since you say that the place that you work in has a high turnover, that's pretty much would be expected.

What I mean by "envious", is that is enjoys seeing me being at the bottom of the rank-not being fast enough, not getting trained in something else, not calling me when they need half ppl to come in, doesn't view me highly. So more like she might get a laugh or enjoys seeing me struggle/or getting treated like crap. She is just keeping me for her sadistic views, if that makes sense. Not envious by importance= a highly thought employee, I mean, if I were to tell her I found another job, she would probably be a tad bit ticked off-by thinking of me, like "oh, who in the heck would want to hire her?" She might want me not to move forward and not be successful at another job, instead she wants to keep me to be set up for failure. 

Edited by Katkats7777
9 minutes ago, Katkats7777 said:

She might want me not to move forward and not be successful at another job, instead she wants to keep me to be set up for failure. 

I suspect you're overestimating how much time she spends thinking about you.

• Like 2
  • Author
4 hours ago, DividedTrail said:

As I said previously, I'm reading your posts from the perspective of someone that has managed people before.

I'm making some assumptions here so forgive me if they don't apply.

There seems to this growing idea that a company owes it's employees more than a safe work environment (differs with the profession), clear direction, obtainable goals and the salary/wages agreed upon. Good companies will make sure to keep in touch with each employee and provide additional training, positive reinforcement and accolades among other incentives.

At the end of the day, you need to do what is right for you and sometimes that means finding another job. The job world is not fair and never will be. You probably aren't going to change the culture or even how management is treating you (unless you can change your attitude or competency). So you need to learn to live with it or move on.

I don't mean this to be a slight on you OP but regarding the layoffs and who was brought back when, I can guarantee the company said we can bring back so many people at whatever time. I can also guarantee management made a list from top to bottom of who they will bring back in that order. The fact you were last means they do not view you very highly. Again, that is not a knock on you personally, I have been at the top and bottom of those lists at various times.

I doubt your boss will care if you decide to leave. You aren't going to 'win' or prove anything, so make the right choice for YOU.

It's like a romantic relationship, sometimes personalities and expectations between two people are just to far apart.

Last thing I would say is, and I don't know how you got along at other jobs, but strive to be the best employee you can. Be a team player and work to improve at any available opportunity, genuinely. I'm not suggesting be an ass kisser, but be dependable and easy to get along with. I've worked with many people that feel they are owed something, that they could manage better than the managers and just had a general view that the world is out to get them. As they say, the best revenge is success or maybe it's a good life lived.

Yeah, I'm making my right choice for me.