What can I do to make jogging not depressing in this case?

I feel it depresses me, mostly because of my job working during the day, I am forced to go at night and the darkness in the park depresses me, mood wise.  This forces me to turn back but is there anything I can do to not make it so depressing.  I try to change my mood, but it's as if the weather has more power than my state of mind on it though, and I keep feeling compelled to go home because I am depressed.  Is there anything I can do?

Find other fitness options. Jogging is murder on joints, tendons and ligaments.

While it's a good cardiovascular workout, it's certainly not the only way to achieve overall fitness, which includes strength training.

You would be much better of getting involved in sports and joining groups and clubs for that.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
6 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Find other fitness options. Jogging is murder on joints, tendons and ligaments.

100% Agree... I had to quit running because of my left knee, so I took up cycling.

To break up the monotony of my rides, I combine errands (post office, banking, grocery store) with my ride and use the bicycle as a form of transportation and not just a sport.  I "up-cycled" an old (INstep) child bicycle trailer into a cargo trailer, so I can do larger grocery runs.  My town has some pretty good infrastructure for cyclists, which makes it safe and fun!!

• Like 2

If you must jog at night why not see if you can go with a friend or with a group?

Make sure to wear full reflective gear for safety and so the police don't think you're a burglar. 🦹‍♂️

Edited by Alpaca
  • Like 1
  • Author

I have a treadmill but it's hard on my joints, harder than jogging though.  I took up cycling before, but I wasn't getting the work out I needed and only my legs were getting worked out, where as jogging, it feels like the whole body is, if that makes sense?  I just feel the cycle was not a good exercise work out for me. 

As for going with friends they are just not available to go at that time, or they do not wish to be.

Get a better quality treadmill if you can afford it. It's the cheap treadmills that are hard on the joints. The good ones are much easier than the running on concrete or pavement. 

Can you run before going to work?

I would keep going at night--keep trying it, because strangely enough, I hate night running too ... or at least told myself that ... but then ... I actually came to like it ... For one, I didn't have to say hello to people. It's like I'm in my own little bubble. If you go in early evening, then there should still be people out on the street. 

Is there an affordable fitness club near you? Some keep late hours.

• Author

A lot of the fitness clubs near me are shutting down early in the day all the time now because of covid, or so that is the likely suspected reason.

I can't really go before work, because me and my gf hang out before I go to work, but because of your work schedules, we are not able to hang out any other time of the day though.  Therefore, if I want to keep hanging out with her, the only option is to go jogging in the evening, if I want cardio exercise.

Do the better tred mills have soft carpeting on them or what is it that makes it better on the joints, since the surface still looks hard, at least to me.

22 hours ago, ironpony said:

As for going with friends they are just not available to go at that time, or they do not wish to be.

Well, you can always check out Neighborly or Meetup and see if you can find some jogging buddies.

People that exercise socially (with other people) can go longer and harder than those who exercise solo.

Cookiesandough

Do stretches before and put it on an incline. Should be easier. It’s the way that it’s super flat and less solid that you hit it and it hurts 

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 1
Interstellar

Stop jogging. i’m assuming you just want to do cardio. find something you’ll enjoy doing instead. bodyweight squats in the comfort of your living room? split squats? my favorite is pushups, see how many you can do in one hour, i’ve done those. burpees? jumping jacks? do it for one hour, start with just 10-15 minutes and progress from there.  but the thing that you hate is really the one that you should be doing because it will make you stronger. i used to hate squats but i end up loving them because one day i decided to do nothing but squats. i ended up doing three hours of nothing but squats. i was violently sore after  but it was fun to see how far i can take things and test my pain threshold.  i’m obsessed at this fitness thing. you’re a lot more capable than you give yourself credit for.

as a result, the rest of my workouts also became easy and my legs and butt thanked me.

Edited by Interstellar

For me, running is as good for my mental health as well as physical health. I totally zone out and so love it for clearing my head. That said I run listening to music. Is there somewhere safe you can run where you can listen to music, a podcast or audio book to zone out?

I think running/jogging  is best done early in the morning.

You need to change your sleep habits and wake up early and go jog 1 hr in the morning then return home, shower then go to work!

There is no other way in your case unless you are willing to jog during your lunch break which I assume is less than  1hr and you won't be able to really shower!

other option is to walk every day during your lunch break. make sure to bring your sneakers with you to change them when you go out walking

Edited by Noproblem
  • Author

Oh well it's just that if I got up earlier in the morning, that would I would have to go to bed earlier at night, but me and my gf have been hanging out quite a few nights so lately, and I would have to give up hanging out with her in order to go to bed earlier though.  So I thought I would just jog on evenings when I don't see her, rather than go to bed earlier on the nights when I do not see her because then I would be changing my sleep pattern around for those nights.

Unless that's worth it to sleep two hours earlier on some nights compared to others, even though, you are changing your sleep schedule back and forth?  My lunch break is only 30 minutes, but I feel I really could use that time to have lunch though, in order to work through the rest of the day better.

Edited by ironpony