Problem with posting links

I can't post links just now.  When I try, I'll get a title accompanied by the name of the publisher, but it doesn't work as an actual link.  Is this a blip or a new policy?

• Author
On 8/26/2021 at 2:55 AM, 6ix said:

Hello Taramere,

It is not a new policy. Are you still having this issue or was it a temporary glitch? 

I'll just try to post a link just now to see...

Yes, same issue.  I have a new laptop that has an annoying touchpad (mind of its own) but I'm able to post links elsewhere on the internet, so it's a bit odd. 

That happens sometimes when I try to post a link to a video.

Try exiting out of the page and refreshing it. Or, maybe try another web browser?

Edited by Alpaca
  • Like 1
  • Author
On 8/27/2021 at 11:08 PM, Alpaca said:

That happens sometimes when I try to post a link to a video.

Try exiting out of the page and refreshing it. Or, maybe try another web browser?

I think my computer itself is the problem.  It's a new one, with a touchpad that seems to double as a calculator. At some point I lost the ability to copy and paste, and now have to use Control C & Control V.  I know I should research fixing that, but it just doesn't feel like a priority at the moment.  That said, I'm able to post links in social media, emails etc.  LS seems to be the only place I can't.  As an example: 

The Crown Prosecution Service | The Crown Prosecution Service (cps.gov.uk)

It should read: https://www.cps.gov.uk

There.  I can get a link so long as I type the thing in manually - but I can't copy and paste a link.  Not on here.  I can do it elsewhere.  It's a mystery!

11 minutes ago, Taramere said:

There.  I can get a link so long as I type the thing in manually - but I can't copy and paste a link.  Not on here.  I can do it elsewhere.  It's a mystery!

Laptop touch pads = grrrrrr!

I purchased a vertical jelly mouse for mine. I love it. 

Well, I hope you can crack the laptop touchpad's "why do I have to enter these ffn' links manually" code, one day.

• Like 1
  • Author
55 minutes ago, Alpaca said:

Well, I hope you can crack the laptop touchpad's "why do I have to enter these ffn' links manually" code, one day.

It's on the to do list!  Albeit at the bottom of it.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

I'm on a desktop... (using Firefox) Let me try a link... The title of this article is "Woman’s death on first date hike with cop ruled accidental" and the link appears to work.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/29/angela-tramontes-death-on-arizona-hike-with-phoenix-cop-dario-dizdar-ruled-accidental/

Edited by Happy Lemming
  • Like 1
  • Author

It's obviously my computer

LoveShack.org: Interpersonal Relationship Advice and Assistance - LoveShack.org

That was me trying to post the Loveshack link.  My touchpad is working the opposite way from usual - so instead of using left click for copy and paste, I have to use right click.  What a pain.  I thought my old laptop was kaput but it turned out it just needed a new charger so I think I'll go back to using it instead!  This one is just a menace with its stupid multifunction touchpad.

Happy Lemming
16 minutes ago, Taramere said:

I use my right mouse key to highlight the link on a second tab (that I opened), then my left mouse key to invoke a sub-menu that allows me to copy the link.

Then I paste it to my post.

That being said...  My computer didn't like Internet Explorer and Loveshack, but it does like Firefox and Loveshack.  So I've been using Firefox for most everything.

My computer is quite old and running Windows 7. It was originally built for Windows XP.  I've replaced quite a few components in it, from the fans, ram, power supply, video board and hard drive.  I'm trying to keep it on "life support" until the new Windows 11 desktops start coming out and the "bugs" have been worked out.  I know one day I'll go to turn it on and I'll hear a pop and smoke will start billowing out of it, but for now I'll throw another piece of duct tape on it and keep on typing!

• Like 2
On 8/31/2021 at 1:51 PM, Taramere said:

LoveShack.org: Interpersonal Relationship Advice and Assistance - LoveShack.org

That was me trying to post the Loveshack link.  My touchpad is working the opposite way from usual - so instead of using left click for copy and paste, I have to use right click.  What a pain.  I thought my old laptop was kaput but it turned out it just needed a new charger so I think I'll go back to using it instead!  This one is just a menace with its stupid multifunction touchpad.

I'm on a computer that I got December 2018, a desktop, and I have the same issue.. I'm using the microsoft browser, but I think I had the same issue on a laptop on which I used Chrome. It suddenly started happening at some point, and I didn't know why. I have to "paste link as text" as I mentioned in another thread.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming
7 hours ago, Angelle said:

I'm using the microsoft browser, but I think I had the same issue on a laptop on which I used Chrome.

Have you tried Firefox??

• Author
9 hours ago, Angelle said:

I'm on a computer that I got December 2018, a desktop, and I have the same issue.. I'm using the microsoft browser, but I think I had the same issue on a laptop on which I used Chrome. It suddenly started happening at some point, and I didn't know why. I have to "paste link as text" as I mentioned in another thread.

Let me try that

https://www.loveshack.org/

Yes, that works.  "Paste as plain text". It's far more of a faff though. I can't understand why the laptop maker would want to complicate rather than simplify the user experience.  They obviously didn't learn from Steve Jobs.