When guys wink at me, I wink back?

Cookiesandough

Cookiesandough

Hey, so when men wink at me or make silly faces, I do the same thing back. I learned today from my friend that is not what you were supposed to do? Is that true? 

ClearEyes-FullHeart

Never heard of there being a rule or custom not to wink back. What does your friend think you should do? Is this friend male or female?

I associate winking with my grandfather….I have a vague memory he used to wink to make us laugh.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Cookiesandough said:

Hey, so when men wink at me or make silly faces, I do the same thing back. I learned today from my friend that is not what you were supposed to do? Is that true? 

Yes, it's true. You're supposed to stick your tongue out.😛

• Like 2

This reminds me of the Will Ferrell "Terrence Maddox in Sculpture Class" skit when he does the wink and blows a kiss. 

OMG that was so funny.

• Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough
35 minutes ago, ClearEyes-FullHeart said:

Never heard of there being a rule or custom not to wink back. What does your friend think you should do? Is this friend male or female?

I associate winking with my grandfather….I have a vague memory he used to wink to make us laugh.

A woman, yea. she said it’s awkward 

Exactly, what are you supposed to do, stare? That makes it more awkward. It’s a playful thing so I’m just playful back? I didn’t know I was being a weirdo 

Thank you. I am new to the planet and just trying to understand how humans interact with each other

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 1
ClearEyes-FullHeart

As a child I found men who winked sort of creepy (not grandpa though). It made me feel strange, but I was super shy. No idea what you are supposed to do. Winking back seems fair or if you like the person a big smile?

Edited by ClearEyes-FullHeart
  • Like 2

I remember a girl winking furiously at me at  Glastonbury years ago. I thought, `I`m in here` And plus Radiohead had just come on....

Sadly she had been stung by a Bee and was going into shock. Thankfully she was all okay.

But, yes, wink back but not at 100 miles an hour.

• Like 2

Winks are very old custom universally. A smile is nice courtesy. I like a wave. Use your whole arm for about 5 to10 seconds casually. Not to beckon them closer. Only as  Hi! 

Edited by LuckyM
clarity
  • Like 1
On 8/21/2021 at 8:11 PM, Cookiesandough said:

If a guy winked at me, it would depend on whether I wanted to encourage him or not.  If he winked and I didn't like him, I'd just look blank and move on.  If he winked and he looked nice, I might smile but would not hang around.  I wouldn't wink back because who knows how that could be interpreted?

• Like 2
  • Author
Cookiesandough
18 hours ago, spiderowl said:

If a guy winked at me, it would depend on whether I wanted to encourage him or not.  If he winked and I didn't like him, I'd just look blank and move on.  If he winked and he looked nice, I might smile but would not hang around.  I wouldn't wink back because who knows how that could be interpreted?

Thanks. I didn’t know it could be misinterpreted. My guy friend ( who likes me, but that’s another story)  winked at me and I winked back at him. Sometimes I’ll stick out my tongue at him and he’ll do it back. The other day he stuck his tongue out and I made a scowl face at him. We’re real mature but it’s all in good fun 

On 8/21/2021 at 3:11 PM, Cookiesandough said:

When I was single I did the same thing.  I'm good at winking and have done it since I was 9 to everybody.  I used to get in trouble with my Mom over it.

Edited by stillafool
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Cookiesandough said:

winked at me and I winked back at him. Sometimes I’ll stick out my tongue at him and he’ll do it back.

Let's hope he doesn't moon you 😬🌜

• Like 1

if you're a hot girl, winking at a guy could be troublesome and misread.  try putting your finger in your nose instead.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 3:11 PM, Cookiesandough said:

I believe your friend is wrong.  In my world that is exactly what you are supposed to do.  Guess it depends on the guy and ho wit is working for you.

• Like 1
lonelyplanetmoon

You mean in person and not on OLD?  I was thinking of OLD when reading your post but the responses indicate in person wink?

if in person then correct you are not supposed to wink back but respond with body language to say you are open to them approaching (big smile)

or not (look away or frown) etc.  That is how I understood it.  I am not sure what winking back tells them.