Ladies, would you date a younger man? How much younger?

Cookiesandough

Cookiesandough

And why? 

I’ve noticed a lot of older women( for sake of discussion 45+) dating younger men ( and I’ve noticed the reverse true with older men too) rather than men their own age or older, especially if they are like out of a divorce or something. You see a lot of women dating a younger guy in Hollywood too and I am just wondering why. And I know there are some people like oh it’s just about sex but a lot of these people get married to so I’m just curious 

I could have a roll in the hay with a hot younger man, but date him? Nah.  Totally different life stages and experiences.  

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, Cookiesandough said:

And why? 

I’ve noticed a lot of older women( for sake of discussion 45+) dating younger men ( and I’ve noticed the reverse true with older men too) rather than men their own age or older, especially if they are like out of a divorce or something. You see a lot of women dating a younger guy in Hollywood too and I am just wondering why. And I know there are some people like oh it’s just about sex but a lot of these people get married to so I’m just curious 

I went out with a younger guy once (4 yrs or so), it felt weird. I might if I end up single again and want to get laid... a lot 😉

I can see the appeal, especially if the woman has a higher sex drive than contemporary men. Huge age differences in relationships come across as a sex or power thing. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for out of dating.

• Like 1

Younger men are nice to look at but I don't  have any desire to touch.  I'm  not sure I can really explain why, I just know a definite no is my immediate reaction.

One of my best friends however has been involved with a guy 13 years younger than her for about 2 years now.  They seem happy.

• Like 2
poppyfields

To those who won't, may I ask what relevance a man's age has to your mutual chemistry/energy/values and overall compatibility?  I mean how does one make that type of judgment call without spending time and getting to know each other?

I have said this before but I know men in their 20s who have the drive and maturity of someone much older and men in their 40s or even 50s who act like mama's boys.

Age is just a number folks.

• Like 1

It's not age, but life stage  

That said, my husband is 5 years younger than me  He is the only man younger than me I ever dated.  My father was 5 years younger than my mom.  

• Like 4

I imagine it helps to keep the older women young at heart and for the guy the appeal is security,

a chap I know actually (hope hes not reading) well he blew all his money gambling,

lost his wife and family,

has since found an older woman though, single , her own house and has taken him in and hes back a happy man again.

the sex is good also I am told.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, d0nnivain said:

It's not age, but life stage  

Exactly this. I had an uncle who never really settled down, so most of the women that were compatible with him we’re younger. His last girlfriend was 20 years younger. For women that either are not interested in kids, family, establishing “roots” etc. or that are past that stage, a younger guy might just be the ticket….

• Like 2
2 hours ago, poppyfields said:

To those who won't, may I ask what relevance a man's age has to your mutual chemistry/energy/values and overall compatibility?  I mean how does one make that type of judgment call without spending time and getting to know each other

As I noted, I can't tell you exactly why I have never felt a connection to a younger guy.  I've  enjoyed flirting, but never felt anything more.

I have absolutely no issue with anyone else doing what they want.  As I said, one of my friends is quite a bit older than the guy she lives with.  I seldom ever think about it.  My guy and I socialize a lot with them, I probably like her boyfriend more than I like her sometimes 🙂

• Like 2
BettyDraper

No more than 5 years younger. 

I'm in my late 30s. Men in their 20s are gorgeous but they are too immature and flaky. 

• Like 1
poppyfields
13 hours ago, FMW said:

As I noted, I can't tell you exactly why I have never felt a connection to a younger guy.  I've  enjoyed flirting, but never felt anything more.

I have absolutely no issue with anyone else doing what they want.  As I said, one of my friends is quite a bit older than the guy she lives with.  I seldom ever think about it.  My guy and I socialize a lot with them, I probably like her boyfriend more than I like her sometimes 🙂

I understand FMW and fair enough!  

I was just wondering if it was his age that was the issue or the fact you simply weren't vibing due to other factors not related to age? 

Lack of energy/ chemistry/ vibrational pull? 

What if you met but didn't know his age? 

I didn't find out how old the man I'm seeing is until several dates and by then I was already attracted to him. 

He's older but looks A LOT younger.  Doesn't matter either way to me. 

I liken it to I've never been attracted to men of a particular race, but that's not to say I never would be.  

Just haven't met any I have vibed/felt a connection with romantically. 

Same with age imho.

Didn't mean to put anyone on the defensive, we like what we like!  And I totally respect that!

It's a curious issue for me, that's all.

Edited by poppyfields
  • Like 1

That's a negative for me.  Younger men tend to want kids of their own or trying to establish themselves, and I don't have time to play mommy with anyone. Plus, I don't want anymore kids. 

• Like 2

Yes, Cookies, but not that much younger.  I feel I need to be fairly close in terms of age so that we have a mutual understanding of what it was like to be brought up at that time.  I find in general that people 10 or 20 years younger than me are much more confident.  I think things changed in schools and society and people were encouraged to be confident, parents and teachers less critical.  My parents grew up and had to do National Service, for example.  It was hard, they were taken from their families while still relatively young, paid a pittance, and thrown into war zones.  My father worked in a hospital in the Far East which took casualties from the Korean War and drug wars.  He worked 12-hour shifts and had only one day of the week off, when he slept.  He saw terrible things.  His generation were traumatized.  Not surprisingly, he didn't have much sympathy for sensitive people or 'wastrels'.

I grew up not living through the sadness my parents did but being aware of it.  Our generation had it better - we were not conscripted, we could stay at school until age 16, we did not live under rationing, and our parents did not die of TB.

If I talk to someone 10 years younger, I am conscious of the history gap.  When talking to people 15-20 years younger, I am even more conscious of it.  Their natural confidence is hard to understand; they don't have hang-ups, they think they are worth something.  Strange as it may seem, these are noticeable differences between our generations.

Well, the above aside, I have dated younger men, one of whom was 17 years younger than me.  Ironically, he was probably the one I got on best with and he was from a different country and culture.  I still feel that mainly, there is more of a natural understanding if people are from close generations, but if an age-gap couple is happy together, then I am happy for them.

I do think for younger men, it is mostly about sex, but then relationships are mostly about sex for young men generally.  They sort of fall in love by accident and usually because of regular sex.  While that might be fun for a while, I don't think as an older woman I would trust a young man for a relationship so what's the point even going there?

• Like 2
CaliforniaGirl

Nah...around five years is about my limit. My husband is four years younger. That's a small enough difference that we don't even think about it. But like 10, 15, 20 years...eek, no. 😅

• Like 1
introverted1

I typically stay +/- 5 years on either side.  I get a lot of interest from younger men (~10-14 years younger) but I'm just not comfortable with that much of a gap.

That said, the older you get, the harder it is to find people who are in shape, don't have health issues, want to be active, etc. 

• Like 2

I would. One of my last attempts at dating was with a man 10 years younger. 

I like that he had no kids and no ex wives. 

Once they get older, their baggage increases. My life is fairly simple. I may not relate to a man my age many of whom have several children and have been married and divorced several times. 

• Like 1

I've always like younger men.  My husband is younger than me.  When I was 18 I dated a 16 year old.  😉

• Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough
15 minutes ago, stillafool said:

I've always like younger men.  My husband is younger than me.  When I was 18 I dated a 16 year old.  😉

I love this. Get it!!!

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 1

I’m late here.

I think around 5 years younger is probably my limit. (And about 10 years older.) I think the main thing that worries me about dating somebody significantly younger….is that I’m getting close to menopause age. And from what I’ve heard, your body and appearance can change a lot, fairly quickly. Like….you may look young for your age…but once you hit menopause, you start looking older very quickly. I think a lot of this can be mitigated with Botox, fillers, and plastic surgery…but I’d really like to not have to do that. Basically….I think once I appeared significantly older than him, I would probably feel pretty insecure and self-conscious about my appearance.

• Like 2

In my late twenties, I almost exclusively dated older women (late thirties). Generally, they were the only women giving me the time of day. I would say it was mostly about sex. Almost all of them were recently divorced and had no desire to be in a relationship, so they were the ones to apply the casual label.

• Like 1

Never in my life have I even so much as slept with or dated a younger man, even by a couple months. Hahahaha My H is 6 years older but that is about as high as Ill go with a partner.  I do have sexual partners in my past that were older than that, but wouldnt have dated them seriously. Younger guys? Nah. Nope. Cant make me! 🤣

• Like 1