Is this his was of saying we are incompatible

I’ve been going out with a guy for almost a month. Things have been wonderful and nothing less. Today he texted me after i asked could he come over tonight and he said “how much do you like me?”

and i replied “why do you ask?”

And he said “Obviously you do. And I like you too. But do you see yourself being with me? You already don’t like the fact that I drink and smoke. “

And i said “i never said i don’t like it but i don’t like the fact you ask all the time for me to try it... i don’t really drink nor do i smoke”

TL:DR; he asked about being together then said i don’t like things about him

1 hour ago, KlezF said:

he asked about being together then said i don’t like things about him

Just curious if this is the same guy? If so it seems like there's lots of incompatibilities.:

This guy is very insecure.  Nothing you do will ever be enough for him.  He will always need more reassurance.  

Date him if he's fun.  If you don't drink & smoke, do not give in to his pressure to try.  Rather see if you can nudge him closer to sobriety.  

• Author
44 minutes ago, d0nnivain said:

This guy is very insecure.  Nothing you do will ever be enough for him.  He will always need more reassurance.  

Date him if he's fun.  If you don't drink & smoke, do not give in to his pressure to try.  Rather see if you can nudge him closer to sobriety.  

Insecure about what now ... i care about his health 

You care about his health.  

Given that you apparently don't criticise his life choices, how is this relevant?   I'm just trying to understand what the issue is.

12 hours ago, KlezF said:

Insecure about what now ... i care about his health 

He's not insecure about his health.  He is insecure in general.  That is why he said you need a good man because he doesn't think he is one.  That is why he constantly asks if you like him because he doesn't think he's likable & wants reassurance.  

You caring about his health is nice but he's not going to give up drinking & smoking solely because you have health concerns.  He enjoys both activities & thinks they make him cool.  Depending on how long he's been doing both he may be addicted at this point so it won't be easy to quit.  My caution was for you to not give into peer pressure.  It had nothing to do with him because he's not here asking for help, you are.