I'm watching a Sunday morning news magazine show, Sunday Morning on CBS.  They just reported that Covid cases are down 80% since January & that 24% of Americans have been fully vaccinated.  That is encouraging.  

I was terrified for Texas when they said they were fully opening with no masks but since cases haven't skyrocketed there is hope.  

Do you think we'll ever go back to "normal"?  What will that look like?  I think I will always wear a mask on a plane going forward 

• Like 2

Good news indeed! Our state has been in a steady and sharp decline since January 2021.

I was thinking about the effects of isolation and whether some will be reluctant to venture out when life returns to normal—whatever that means —"post" Covid.

Edited by Alpaca
Fletch Lives

Define "normal". Covid will go away, but some will still wear masks and be unsociable. Me included. 

For a year and a half I have not gotten sick with a flu or cold - thanks to Covid measures. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Fletch Lives said:

Define "normal". Covid will go away, but some will still wear masks and be unsociable. Me included. 

For a year and a half I have not gotten sick with a flu or cold - thanks to Covid measures. 

Yeah, I noticed that too my family and I didn't get sick with a flu or cold since last year.  It must have been due to the benefits of masks and social isolation. 

• Like 1

Recent trends in cases and vaccinations are encouraging, but the science/epidemiology articles I've been reading project that we will NOT achieve herd immunity, and as such any new variants (esp. from S. Africa and Brazil) can gain a foothold and spread even to already vaccinated people, causing illness and deaths.  So, it is very likely that covid will be like the flu - a new vaccine will be needed every year to protect against new variants.  Masks will continue to help contain the spread of cases, and between "booster" shots and masks, I think life will return to fairly normal.  Maybe masks can be completely optional eventually, but people would have to accept the increased risks in that case, or choose to wear them.  There will still be covid illnesses and deaths, but far fewer - however, they will probably be higher than the historical norms for - say - flu.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, central said:

Recent trends in cases and vaccinations are encouraging, but the science/epidemiology articles I've been reading project that we will NOT achieve herd immunity, and as such any new variants (esp. from S. Africa and Brazil) can gain a foothold and spread even to already vaccinated people, causing illness and deaths.  

Also, over 1/3 of Republicans steadfastly refuse to be vaccinated, according to several different polls.  In addition, plenty of people who are not Republicans won't  be immunized either.  

That makes herd immunity impossible to achieve.

Too bad for the rest of us and our families.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3