Should men use facial moisturizer?

Should men moisturize their faces after they get out the shower to prevent wrinkles and have softer, smoother, younger looking skin?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed off topic

For nice skin, sunscreen is just as important (if not more important) as moisturiser.   You can get moisturiser with SPF factor if you want to save time.  Also, stay hydrated and don't smoke. 

Edited by basil67

I got this as a christmas present from my woman,

quite enjoying using it actually, not that id be telling my mates that.

hmmn 

Yes drinking plenty of water every day I imagine more important though.

Ruby Slippers

It depends on how concerned he is about maintaining younger-looking skin. A good skin care routine can make a dramatic difference in that regard. We're lucky to live in a time when clinical grade skin care is very affordable. Canadian company The Ordinary is my favorite. They majorly disrupted the skin care industry by putting all their money into product development, none into models and ads, and offer products that used to be dramatically price inflated. Some products that used to be $100+ for a little bottle are now available from The Ordinary for $5-10. 

• Like 3
Happy Lemming
39 minutes ago, basil67 said:

For nice skin, sunscreen is just as important (if not more important) as moisturiser. 

Yes... living in the desert, I apply sunscreen to my face and neck if I'm going to be outside for any length of time.  The sun is quite strong here.

I'm sure my sunscreen has some moisturizer qualities, but no I don't apply moisturizer.

• Like 2

Well personally I prefer to slather my face with the blood of my vanquished enemies and gargle with the tears of their women folk.

But if I don't have that handy I've been known to use a light moisturizer with SPF 10, overpriced beard oil and gargle some Scope.

YMMV

Trail Blazer
1 hour ago, Happy Lemming said:

Yes... living in the desert, I apply sunscreen to my face and neck if I'm going to be outside for any length of time.  The sun is quite strong here.

I'm sure my sunscreen has some moisturizer qualities, but no I don't apply moisturizer.

Exactly.  I work in the oilfields and especially if you're in West Texas or California, the sun is baking hot in summer with little-to-no refuge from it's harmful UV.

Men do not have a different organ covering their body.  Like women, men have skin and that skin needs to be protected and moisturized.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Ruby Slippers said:

It depends on how concerned he is about maintaining younger-looking skin. A good skin care routine can make a dramatic difference in that regard. We're lucky to live in a time when clinical grade skin care is very affordable. Canadian company The Ordinary is my favorite. They majorly disrupted the skin care industry by putting all their money into product development, none into models and ads, and offer products that used to be dramatically price inflated. Some products that used to be $100+ for a little bottle are now available from The Ordinary for $5-10. 

@Ruby Slippers Thank you so much for recommending affordable Ordinary skincare products.  I have not heard of this company before, and will check it out.  How long have you been using their products?

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers
43 minutes ago, hajk said:

@Ruby Slippers Thank you so much for recommending affordable Ordinary skincare products.  I have not heard of this company before, and will check it out.  How long have you been using their products?

It's an amazing company. They just got bought out by a huge corporation and I hope that doesn't ruin them.

I've been using The Ordinary line for about a year. There are tons of YouTube videos giving product reviews and showing dramatic before and afters of women who started with serious wrinkles and sun damage and then looking 10 years younger after using the products for a while.

My favorites are the Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution - totally cleans out your pores and refinishes/smooths the skin dramatically, AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution - a chemical peel at home, leaves your skin so soft and glowing, Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% - total oil absorber/shine reducer, Marine Hyaluronics - great marine-based moisturizing liquid, Buffet - a peptide serum. I really haven't tried a single product from them I don't love, and you can return anything you don't like within a year (at least 50% full). 

I used to pay 3 or 4 times as much for similar products, but will never go back as long as The Ordinary offers similar or better stuff for way lower prices.

I see they recently added a tool to their website where you can take a brief quiz and get product recommendations based on your skin type. 

I'm aging like the rest of us, but I've always taken very good care of my skin and I think it shows.

Edited by Ruby Slippers
  • Thanks 1

I do so every day. I wouldn't say it makes a huge difference, but I think it's noticeable.

Agree that sun damage is the biggest factor regarding skin aging, so if you're going out in harsh sun for reasonable periods of time you're going to want one with a sunscreen. Where I live is pretty gloomy and I haven't been out as much over the past year, so one with sunscreen hasn't been necessary for me.

It may not seem cheap off the shelf, but given a bottle may last you a few months or longer, you won't notice the cost in the long run.

For vanity purposes it really does make a difference.  

Years ago I dated a guy that used the Clinique men's skin care line.  He DID have awesome skin and no wrinkles even around his eyes, even though he was in his 40s. I didn't realize he was almost 20 years older than me maybe because of that .  

The guy I'm involved with now only uses sunscreen, and that only because he's out on lakes a lot fishing.  He's definitely a much more "rugged" looking guy, but I like that about him.  

lana-banana

Yes, absolutely, without a doubt. Even just regular moisturizer and sunscreen makes an enormous difference over time. There's no shortage of men who seem to look like they're aging great until, as a friend put it, "they turn 40 and look like a handbag".

Seconding the recommendation of The Ordinary - wonderful stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Ruby Slippers

I will say I've never been with a man who used any skin care other than aftershave. My gay friends do, though 😋

Happy Lemming
20 hours ago, basil67 said:

A hat with a brim is good too.  

When I re-coat my roof, I put on this old ugly bucket hat and slather myself with sunscreen.  In addition to taking extra water up on the roof during the job, I also take the tube of sunscreen, so I can re-apply every couple of hours.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with using a moisturizer. It come in some men’s cologne kits.

I wouldn’t start painting my nails though. 😂

• Like 2

In a hot climate it's essential.  My husband recently had to have a horrible, painful skin peel done to remove extensive skin damage after years of outdoor sports without sunscreen or hat.  I wouldn't wish it on anyone.    @sam123456  Even if you decide you don't care about soft skin, skin cancer is a killer.  Sunscreen and hat will give you lovely skin AND save your life.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Lotsgoingon

Why wouldn't a man use a face moisturizer if he needs it? Or if he wants to use it? 

My skin gets extremely dry in winter, I have to put moisturizer or lotion on it, and I'm a medicine that makes my skin burn easily, so I do as others have mentioned: I used a combination of sunscreen and lotion. This practice raises absolutely no "masculinity" issues in my mind. Never crossed my mind that it would do so. 

59 minutes ago, basil67 said:

In a hot climate it's essential.  My husband recently had to have a horrible, painful skin peel done to remove extensive skin damage after years of outdoor sports without sunscreen or hat.  I wouldn't wish it on anyone.    @sam123456  Even if you decide you don't care about soft skin, skin cancer is a killer.  Sunscreen and hat will give you lovely skin AND save your life.  

I've had this done!!! 😬  It's like someone's holding a blowtorch on your face, the pain was so bad it sent me into shock and I was pinned in the chair shaking uncontrollably.  Then afterwards I looked like I'd been in a bad car accident.  I was hoping that I'd look ten years younger, but no, same old me after the scabs had fallen off.  I've also had L4 melanoma, so I can't recommend using sunscreen enough. 

dramafreezone
On 3/6/2021 at 2:55 PM, sam123456 said:

Should men moisturize their faces after they get out the shower to prevent wrinkles and have softer, smoother, younger looking skin?

I'm a man and I do.  It's 2021, i really don't see skincare as a "female" thing anymore.  That said I work in dermatology so I may be biased.  Before I worked in dermatology I didn't.

Edited by dramafreezone
  • Like 1

Well men have skin, soooo yeah. 

Its like asking if men should brush their teeth lol

Edited by HiCrunchy
  • Like 1
Fletch Lives

That stuff is too messy, it's gonna get on my chairs and furniture. Vitamin E and Botin is cleaner.

12 hours ago, Fletch Lives said:

That stuff is too messy, it's gonna get on my chairs and furniture. 

If you slather yourself in olive oil, this could definitely happen.  But not with a water based moisturiser.